LegacyGT.com

Limezest's Manual Wagon Repair & Build Thread

• 3 weeks later...

VXbNknAl.png

Y4Ct0eul.png

More updates, but light on photos. I should have taken more. Visited my friend who has a magnificent garage. With his help we were able to knock out a lot of work in about 4 hours.

Changed rear diff fluid

Removed rusted hitch

Removed oil cooler sandwich plate (if this isn't the source of the leak at the oil cooler, I have the full seal kit for the oil cooler)

Changed oil and filter

Replaced blue tee with company23 kit

Replaced both front control arms and ball joints (upgraded to aluminum arms)

We got to the turbo oil banjo bolt and we just didn't have the right tools to remove it. I think a stubby wrench might fit in there, but damn I didn't realize just how tight the working clearance is around that bolt.

Questions:

I have an oil pressure gauge and oil temperature gauge. I need new senders for both. Where should I install them? I figure I can replace the factory oil pressure dummy light sensor with a pressure sensor, but where should I put an oil temp sensor? Any recommendations for part numbers?

Purchased two oil galley plug to 1/8npt adapters and temp/pressure senders from rallysportdirect. They seem to be getting a lot of my business, mostly because they have free shipping.

Edited by limezest

ebay intercooler is out for delivery today!

I have the AVO throttle body coupler and a thick SBC waterpump gasket ready to install.

I'll update this post with photos and my results once it's installed. I took some logs this week. As far as I can tell, there is no (post intercooler) manifold air temperature sensor. This seems like an oversight. I would have loved to be able to see the difference in temperature rise across the stock and this aftermarket intercooler.

Let me know if you encountered the same issues I did with my install.

Most vehicles have the iat sensor pre turbo, it always made more sense to me to have it post turbo but who knows. Every vehicle I’ve ever turbocharged gets the sensor post turbo, never had a tuner complain. On my brothers camaro that was making a little north of 1,500hp, we were trying to prove you could run that setup without an intercooler and we actually melted a few intake temp sensors lol.

• 1 month later...

Updates!

The intercooler is in - definitely a tight fit.

yKKJ5Jql.jpg

Android auto head unit is ready to go in, just need to make or purchase the appropriate wiring for the HVAC controls.

0jJNJF6l.jpg

However, i have a more pressing concern - steering rack has started leaking. Looks like its at the seals in the upper valve body. Subaru wants only $13 for these two seals, so i figure i'll try and replace just the seals before I replace the whole rack.

N8z2vKJl.jpg

I did need to pull out the pry bar to get it to fit, but i didn't need to clearance anything to squeeze it in there. Next time I pull it i want to trim the AVO throttle body hose, it's too long.

I did need to pull out the pry bar to get it to fit, but i didn't need to clearance anything to squeeze it in there. Next time I pull it i want to trim the AVO throttle body hose, it's too long.

I knew something was up. You can definitely get it sucked in closer so it’s not crooked

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
First question: Should I try to find a complete stock catback and sell the magnaflow, or should I continue to hack up the magnaflow and have my exhaust shop put WRX dual tip cans (2015-2020) on it? I think this would look majestic, but I'm worried it'll still be too loud, and I'm torn about further cutting up this magnaflow setup. Someone out there probably would love this Magnaflow kit. I found that BRE (previously Borla) sells a complete catback for about $550.

Don’t know if you’re still trying to figure out what to do about your exhaust, but Shogun506 bought a complete exhaust off a15-19 STI and installed in his car.

Good info in the comments. To me this is probably one of the more quiet boxer rumble setups. I’ve heard stock STis driving and listened to YouTube vids of stock STis and they sound pretty tame. It’s also only 2.5” so you’ll have some backpressure. I got ‘18 STi mufflers for $180 shipped off of EBay. Car only had 8k miles on it owner was doing a muffler delete. I haven’t installed yet so no sound clips, but install seems straightforward. Relocate hangers and extend stock STi mid pipe to meet downpipe.

Got a PM about how i mounted the crossover and the tweeter. I'll take some pics and share some further details.

Short version is: There's a square hole in the panel behind the crossover where I placed a clip nut. That and velcro.

For the tweeter I gutted the original and hot glued the replacement tweeter in the holder. I used the original wiring to the tweeter to feed the crossover.

• 3 months later...

Nothing exciting to report. Still rumblin' away.

Installed the android auto head unit, that's been working flawlessly. Installed a dashcam, all good there. Pilotsport AS4s installed on the weds sports.

Still need to finalize the mounting of the oil temperature and pressure sensors, then wire 'em up.

Transmission flud leak from a front cv axle shaft seal. Not sure if I should tackle this one on my own or take it to a shop. I've heard this can be a bit of a tricky job. Any comments?

Edited by limezest

• 1 year later...

Let's see: Nothing big to report over the past year. Took it in to my favorite local shop for the CV axle seals. It was like $100 if I recall correctly. About to hit 200k mi.

I put on a roof rack, I found the Montblanc OE roof rails on ebay. 

I put on JDM tail lights.

Still haven't wired up the cruise control / steering wheel audio controls.

Still haven't wired up the oil pressure/temp sensors.

We're building a garage starting May 2024, so I'm planning on doing a major engine refresh in Q3/Q4 2024.

• Type RA block
  • Turbo (VF52? 18G?)
  • Clutch
  • Timing belt, water pump, etc
  • Headers + up-pipe

bluubaru.jpg

bluubaru_rear.jpg

There’s a spot at the back of the block I believe on the passenger side where there’s an Allen bolt that you can use to hook up your oil temp gauge. Oil pressure gauge you can install up front. Under the alternator is the stock oil pressure sensor that comes on at like 4 psi? Basically if it comes on your block is toast, you’re better off installing a programmable oil pressure gauge in that port. Car looks good, nice score on the oem cross bars! I got some myself but need to make a new rubber piece for one of the clamps. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/27/2022 at 11:07 AM, blackobxt said:

Let me know if you encountered the same issues I did with my install.

Most vehicles have the iat sensor pre turbo, it always made more sense to me to have it post turbo but who knows. Every vehicle I’ve ever turbocharged gets the sensor post turbo, never had a tuner complain. On my brothers camaro that was making a little north of 1,500hp, we were trying to prove you could run that setup without an intercooler and we actually melted a few intake temp sensors lol.

My tuner recommended moving it to the far side of the intercooler and I had him do it. He said it gives a more accurate view of the air the engine sees. I mean that seems obvious. He then tunes it accordingly. 

On 1/19/2022 at 12:13 PM, limezest said:

Took a few minutes today to modify the fuel pressure regulator's manifold pressure source. I used the infamous blue tee.

Immediately saw the 2800RPM stumble disappear.

6xTn8Pw.png

mJyzdvI.png

Can someone explain this? I've never heard of it.