LegacyGT.com

Rough idle

I know this is common for subaru. My engine rattles and my car shakes just a little nothing terrible. It doesn't matter if I have the AC on or off sometimes it does it when the car is cold or after it's been running. I'm going to the dealership today. Since I am female what should I be asking for because I'm sure the car is not going to throw any codes?

Update:

2017 legacy premium. Dealership said everything checked out. No codes. Latest updates already done. No lights on dash. Something is not quite right but....who knows. It's not a bad shaking maybe better description would be a slight vibration. Idle is not smoothe as in I can feel it. Purchased certified used 34,000 miles one owner... so I'm going keep on driving.

Thanks.

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using Tapatalk

02eeae86c370cc93a8367cb5fbb346eb.jpg

Edited by beckyray19641

Just tell them the issues you are having.

I would not mention anything related to codes since no codes are present at all.

It’s actually not common at all. Having three Subarus none of them have ever displayed any shaking. Now my daily driver Honda did shake and had some engine rattle but it just turned out to be the trans mount and some engine mounts which is a common issue on those cars.

I’m guessing it may just be an engine mount or it could be a belt tensioner as I had that issue a few years back with the Honda and had rattling and shaking in the car. Now that is assuming your car is a four cylinder engine.

Can you please give more details of what year and engine your car has please? If you are unsure of the engine it would have a very distinct 3.6, 3.0, or 2.5 GT badge on the passenger rear trunk under the word Legacy. If you don’t see that then it’s safe so say it’s a four cylinder. But the year as mentioned is a great help.

We would all like to help, but, need more data.

Year, Trim, Engine, Mileage is a good start.

You can look this up online (google VIN decoder) easily using your VIN number (don't post your vin).

It's on the drivers side door frame after you open the door or on your insurance card.

Ok I was an idiot and failed to see this was In the 6th gen forum.

Please disregard and mention of a “3.0 or 2.5 GT” mention in my original response posting.

Only the 3.6R or nothing under the Legacy badging.

2017 legacy premium. Dealership said everything checked out. No codes. Latest updates already done. No lights on dash. Something is not quite right but....who knows. It's not a bad shaking maybe better description would be a slight vibration. Idle is not smoothe as in I can feel it. Purchased certified used 34,000 miles one owner... so I'm going keep on driving.

Thanks.

414aff93a26deeecccfab9aa875cbbfa.jpg

Edited by beckyray19641

Thanks.

Sounds very similar to a problem I had ... and at almost the same mileage.

My idle was not quite as smooth as it was previously. I mentioned it to the dealership when they were performing a regulation service, and the dealer rang me and said they found no obvious faults or codes, but said they did notice some slight discolouration on one of the plugs, and so they suggested that might mean one of the injectors might be dirty and they suggested an injector clean. I actually got a little annoyed with the service writer and virtually told him that I didn't appreciate them trying to "upsell me" an unwanted service. To his credit he remained calm and said "If you don't want to do that is OK, it was only a suggestion." When the next service was due (and the slight rough idle was still noticable to me) I had a good talk with the same service writer, and I said I'd give the injector cleaning a try. They did it, and the idle is now smooth.

Despite the rocky start to my relationship with the service writer, he has now become a trusted person, and he tells me a lot of stuff that is not taken out of the "standard Subaru Dealer playbook" ... and I will continue with that dealership as long as that guy remains there. :)

Sounds very similar to a problem I had ... and at almost the same mileage.

Mate, I was wondering if the Subaru SA718 Fuel Additive has been added to a full tank of fuel in your Liberty at every 6mth service.

While it doesn’t say this on the bottle, I believe it is designed to help keep the injectors clean.

Mate, I was wondering if the Subaru SA718 Fuel Additive has been added to a full tank of fuel in your Liberty at every 6mth service.

While it doesn’t say this on the bottle, I believe it is designed to help keep the injectors clean.

Good tip. I generally use a bottle of Chevron Techron concentrate every three fill ups and add a bottle of Iso-Heat to also minimize water build up. I do not drive my 3.6 a lot and I think this year I have maybe put 320 miles on it. Normally when it’s driven it’s heated up to engine temp and driven to the car wash and back.

Mate, I was wondering if the Subaru SA718 Fuel Additive has been added to a full tank of fuel in your Liberty at every 6mth service. While it doesn’t say this on the bottle, I believe it is designed to help keep the injectors clean.

I have no doubt that it was added .... it was invoiced as being done, and specifically mentioned by the service writer.