LegacyGT.com

New to me Legacy 2.5i, question about shift linkage?

There are all sorts of things you can do to improve the shifter - the Perrin shift stop helps with the excess play to the left of 1-2, adjusting the one in place already helps reduce the slop to the right of 5-6, replacing the shift bushing with the Perrin (or others out there) brass one helps with forward/backwards play, and upgrading the assembly with the STi one for the 5th gen legacy (if they are even still available) or the one for the 15+ WRX will help tighten up the shifter overall (increased spring force, etc.)

I've got the STi short shifter, the brass bushing, and the Perrin shift stop (make sure you get the right one!) and it's been great. There are other short shifters that replace the linkage/arm on the transmission that reduce throw more than the STi one does (only reduces it by 20% or so) but I don't have one of those.

did the perrin shifter bushing and shift stop and made worlds of difference. it's still not a "great" shift per se, but way more than acceptable, can't tell ya the last time i've missed a shift or felt that it was having trouble slotting in.