LegacyGT.com

08 idle vibration

The vehicle is 73000 miles. This vibration can be well felt in the vehicle and in the steering wheel. As i said, turning the wheel at a stop seems to put on a load and the vibration will stop say if your holding left or right, the same goes for neutral.It has only recently started say 6 month's ago.

I have heard aftermarket cv shafts can cause vibration, but why all of a sudden?

engine mounts, pitch stop, or transmission mount. I'd start with the engine as it seems to be present in gear only. pitch stops generally present themselves on acceleration.

It's pretty annoying to replace these while the engine is in the car, all-data quotes 6 hours, for one or both. OE is 3.5x the cost of aftermarket, but the warranty/longevity is also likely 3.5x as long.

Edited by silverton

The vehicle is 73000 miles. This vibration can be well felt in the vehicle and in the steering wheel. As i said, turning the wheel at a stop seems to put on a load and the vibration will stop say if your holding left or right, the same goes for neutral.It has only recently started say 6 month's ago.

I have heard aftermarket cv shafts can cause vibration, but why all of a sudden?

I'd be inclined to guess that bad engine mounts would be more noticeable with the steering wheel turned as you're loading up the engine placing demand on the power steering pump. I'd wager your axle(s) needs replacing. It is very common, as noted by other posters, that automatic cars vibrate a lot in drive when stopped with aftermarket axles. OEM axles are basically unobtainium at this point with our cars, so this may just be the way life is for these cars from here on out.

I'm a bit uneducated on these motor mounts, wouldn't these vibrate all the time, neutral or not?

The axle seems easy enough to replace, not sure how to tell if either are stock but at least one isn't, they have different boots. This all became noticeable after the vehicle was taken in for an oil change. It might just coincidental, the level was fine and I've since done another oil change myself.

Can engine mounts be checked? Is it just a visual inspection?

The Cv shaft have small in an out play, enough you can make it click by pushing the shaft in/out, but they have no other play by hand.

Edited by subaruleg

Motor mounts can fail with both age or mileage as they’re rubber and rubber doesn’t last forever. My car’s motor mounts started peeling like an orange and were completely toast at 210K and 14 years old when they came out of my car. They’re fluid-filled, so they could leak as well. If they’re original on your car then they probably need replacing. And yes, putting the car in neutral will neutralize some of the vibration associated with the car being in drive whether it be axles or engine mounts. I believe the factory axles are green towards the side of the transmission.

How are your CV boots looking? Typically the boot by the right front of the car goes first as it’s close to the hot exhaust. They tend to go unchecked for too long and cannot be resealed once all the fluid is out so you end up replacing the entire axle assembly. This is where people end up with aftermarket axles that cause that vibration.

• 2 months later...

Another member recommended grabbing an extra factory axle, green towards the side of the transmission as Pleides mentioned above, from the junkyard the next time you were to visit. That was you could rebuild it yourself, and have an additional OEM one for cheap on standby in the case that you were to ever need one in a pinch.

Wise words that can apply to all.

MILKRUN  - Click Here