LegacyGT.com

CSF Radiator with built in trans cooler. Anybody using this yet?

Hi guys,

CSF is making a radiator in the "O" series. LOL, no comment needed.

Part #30760

$650.00

http://www.csfrace.com

This sounds like a lot for a radiator, but once I add a Koyorad along with the trans cooler the price is getting close.

I like the idea of replacing my radiator with a Koyorad aluminum, but I am not sure I want to take on the trans cooler mod as well if this is mostly plug and play.

So if anyone is running this setup please comment.

I am shooting an email to them asking about fitment on a Legacy Vs. the WRX.

Thanks!

How much for the trans cooler you're going to be using? I didn't think a trans cooler would be that much that's equivalent to OEM, used with thicker Koyo that doesn't have one. That's a steep price just to add an oil cooler....just my $0.02 (also why I stuck with stocker - didn't want to mess with aux trans cooler mod). I just bought a CSF stocker (had original rad in car and hit a nasty spot in the road recently so my rad cracked). My only gripe was that the turbo reservoir nipple on the rad was 1/4" instead of 3/8" (or something like that). Point is, CSF included a rubber adapter for that nipple but it would slide off with little effort with OEM clip. Probably could have used a worm gear clamp, but I didn't like the idea of the hose coming off so easily. Ended up getting a Denso instead, no fitment issues, and correct reservoir hose nipple size. Edited by SoobyDoobyDoo

The more I think about it, I am either going to do Denso or Koyorad and skip the nice aluminum radiator. If I was going high HP or tracking the car then I would get serious about cooling. For my DD, even pushing a bigger turbo, TBE, etc isn't enough to warrant the expense.

A transcooler is about $40-$60 for a decent one, and will be able to cool much better than a heat exchanger style built into the radiator. For a transmission that already runs hot (from what I've heard) I wouldn't trust any kind of radiator with a transcooler built in for track / extreme use purposes. It's very easy to add a transcooler so I'd say not worth it. Similarly a bigger radiator isn't needed unless you're doing hillclimbs/track. I got away with a stock radiator for a long time on stage two + turbo and only had issues up in the mountains boosting uphill and in california 120F weather. And even then it still didn't get in the red zone it just started climbing.