LegacyGT.com

more problems caused by excessive oil consumption

Hillside Joe

Subaru has, after several tests acknowledged my 2013 Legacy 2.5i Premium has an oil consumption problem. However I am now beyond the extended warranty period. They recommend the shortblock and the timing cover to be resealed, but I'd have to pay most of the cost. In the most recent oil consumption test it lost 24 oz of oil after 1200 miles. I am trying to decide whether I should just deal with the adding of a quart of miles at least every 2000 miles or sooner, or pay an estimated $3400 for the fix? A big concern is, will the problem get worse (it's been a problem since I bought it at 25K miles), and can this problem lead to additional things going wrong, even if I keep up with the adding of oil? thanks for reading

How many miles on the engine ?

I'd keep adding oil as needed, oil is cheaper than an engine rebuild reseal.

Besides, adding fresh oil to keep it topped off is better for the engine. IMO, don't let the oil get low.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I have a 2013 2.5i also along with my LGT, Yes I got the consumption test done and was told I needed a short block. I was 1000 miles past my warranty and they said they would pay half. I talked to the subie shop that build my car, and they said it is a problem, but just add oil and keep an eye on it. I now change my oil every 5k, and check it once a week. I keep a few cases of Amsoil on hand and carry 3 quarts on long trips.

Car runs great?

86,000 miles. Naturally I add oil when needed. I'm concerned whether the problem unchecked will lead to other issues. Thanks

The worst thing that could happen, is that it will foul up O2 sensors and clog the catalytic converter.

What are you long term plans for the car? If you are looking at getting rid of it in the next year or two, I would deal with adding oil. If you had planned to keep it another 5 years, it might be worth asking Subaru to see if will provide goodwill towards the repair since has been going on so long and pay the costs. $3400 is a lot cheaper than a new car.

The worst thing that could happen, is that it will foul up O2 sensors and clog the catalytic converter.

What are you long term plans for the car? If you are looking at getting rid of it in the next year or two, I would deal with adding oil. If you had planned to keep it another 5 years, it might be worth asking Subaru to see if will provide goodwill towards the repair since has been going on so long and pay the costs. $3400 is a lot cheaper than a new car.

$3400 is with the "goodwill" offered by Subaru. the estimated real price was $4900. The car runs dependably, but has never gotten the MPG Subaru claims it should get. Maybe that's related? I was originally thinking I would own it for at least 10 years (that would be 5 more), but I'm kind of disappointed generally. It is roomy, fast enough, and good in snow and rain, however.

thanks.

$3400 is with the "goodwill" offered by Subaru. the estimated real price was $4900. The car runs dependably, but has never gotten the MPG Subaru claims it should get. Maybe that's related? I was originally thinking I would own it for at least 10 years (that would be 5 more), but I'm kind of disappointed generally. It is roomy, fast enough, and good in snow and rain, however.

thanks.

Just saying, I've been noticing a lot of Honda CRV's around my area lately...some of them sitting in driveway's where a Subaru's used to sit...

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

That dealer would rather you buy a new legacy than to deal with the 2013. It’s a bummer bc the rest of the car is nice and outside of drinking oil, is reliable. $3400 to reseal a 2013 FB25 isn’t terrible IF it’s exhaustive. My worry is how are you sure there isn’t excessive bearing wear already? Or if the ring clearance/positioning is off? You almost have to entertain a new short block over this resealing purely to give you peace of mind.

FBs aren’t anything special but in terms of warranty maybe the dealer would offer you a short block warranty if they do the work, to further add to peace of mind.

My concern is that it would still consume oil after the "fix", but less. Also look into how much a new cat will cost. It turns out an aftermarket carb cat isn't compatible with my car due to different EFN's (Engine Family Numbers), my only option is a subie cat for $3300 when mine goes. I could roll the dice on an aftermarket carb cat for $600-$700, but I'd likely have zero warranty since it's not for my EFN, I'm not willing to take that risk since I hear aftermarket cats suck anyway.

I know your cat is still under warranty until 150k, but something to keep in mind since oil consumption isn't good for converters.

Edited by apexi
typo

Definitely call SoA - I would be pretty surprised if they didn't offer some assistance - if the issue was documented back before the extended warranty ran out (it can't be that far out of warranty - wasn't the extension 8 years, 100k miles? so you are just out in time, but still under the mileage)

I've been adding about a quart every 2000 miles or so and just living with it, but I just found out that the second set of head gaskets are shot and I won't be putting in a third set, so RIP 2007 Legacy. Currently at 168k miles, maybe I'll push it to 175k or so but it won't even see 200k.