LegacyGT.com

Engine swap questions and suggestions????

I was wondering if I could just swap this into my regular 2007 legacy 2.5 and if it would be worth it like I know I would need like new axles and a couple of other things but is the engine worth it(like is it considerably faster) also has anyone ever gotten an engine off eBay and did it work properly cause it’s pretty cheap for some odd reason that my very uneducated ass can’t seem to figure out70271f5948374d3de045977ccd202277.jpg

7404891cdd66b55a04b5e7143c8a7fbb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless you have a ton of money to spend/waste, walk away from this thought.

If you want a legacy gt go buy one.

This will not be worth your effort, unless you have your own import repair shop and all labor is free to you.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Unless you have a ton of money to spend/waste, walk away from this thought.

If you want a legacy gt go buy one.

This will not be worth your effort, unless you have your own import repair shop and all labor is free to you.

Damn that’s tough but the sad truth I appreciate the honesty, is the gt even worth it tho

GT's, bigger brakes, lot's of other small things that add up to more worth it.

Not to mention more HP.

Not to mention need more up keep, but offer great bang for the buck.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The EJ255 in the LGT will feel very similar up top to a JDM 2.0 (though the 2.0 can rev higher), and will have more grunt down low on US gas. Remember that Japanese premium gas has a higher octane rating and the cars there are tuned a bit more aggressively to make use of that.

Another thing to consider is that stock LGT power (or stock turbo EJ20 power in any guise) will still only feel 'quick' by modern standards at best. I am in the scenario that Max Capacity mentioned (own shop, working primarily turbo Subarus), and I wouldn't bother trying to stuff an EJ208 in a run of the mill USDM car, turbo or not. Maybe would consider it if I was working on a period-correct JDM replica or something. Otherwise, given the amount of effort, I'd either buy another car or try something fun like an LV3 Vortec with boost.

That said, the LGT is a fun platform and definitely an upgrade over the 2.5i. If you buy one, expect to still have to put a few grand into it between maintenance and limited mods once you realize that it can be made more fun.

The EJ255 in the LGT will feel very similar up top to a JDM 2.0 (though the 2.0 can rev higher), and will have more grunt down low on US gas. Remember that Japanese premium gas has a higher octane rating and the cars there are tuned a bit more aggressively to make use of that.

Another thing to consider is that stock LGT power (or stock turbo EJ20 power in any guise) will still only feel 'quick' by modern standards at best. I am in the scenario that Max Capacity mentioned (own shop, working primarily turbo Subarus), and I wouldn't bother trying to stuff an EJ208 in a run of the mill USDM car, turbo or not. Maybe would consider it if I was working on a period-correct JDM replica or something. Otherwise, given the amount of effort, I'd either buy another car or try something fun like an LV3 Vortec with boost.

That said, the LGT is a fun platform and definitely an upgrade over the 2.5i. If you buy one, expect to still have to put a few grand into it between maintenance and limited mods once you realize that it can be made more fun.

So basically with what you and the other guy said(I REALLLY appreciate y’all’s responses) the lgt is somewhat worth it like it’s definitely better than the regular legacy and got better upgrades like brakes and it has more horsepower and has a turbo and it sounds like I can do a lot more with it also alright thank you guys my dreams were high key crushed but that’s besides the point at least I know that it would just be a huge waste of money time and energy to do this engine swap rather than just getting the gt and upgrading that, it makes sense tbh, so I have one last dumb question. If I wanted a faster car should I get the lgt or just go for whatever else you said I can’t remember exactly ??( I know it’s dumb sorry lol)

So basically with what you and the other guy said(I REALLLY appreciate y’all’s responses) the lgt is somewhat worth it like it’s definitely better than the regular legacy and got better upgrades like brakes and it has more horsepower and has a turbo and it sounds like I can do a lot more with it also alright thank you guys my dreams were high key crushed but that’s besides the point at least I know that it would just be a huge waste of money time and energy to do this engine swap rather than just getting the gt and upgrading that, it makes sense tbh, so I have one last dumb question. If I wanted a faster car should I get the lgt or just go for whatever else you said I can’t remember exactly ??( I know it’s dumb sorry lol)

Legacy gt cheaper stock, wrx or sti will be faster, legacy gt with mods cheapest and fastest ....probably but also it's a sports sedan wrx or sti is going to be sportier in the handling department.

Either way a budget legacy gt or wrx is going to have some miles.....I got my legacy from my mom for cheap because it needed work and they where frustrated with it.

If I was starting from scratch I would buy a wrx or sti with a blown motor for cheap and have a new long block out it.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Damn that’s tough but the sad truth I appreciate the honesty, is the gt even worth it tho

did you really just ask this :spin:, man these are the under dogs of the turbo Subaru world. We are the cars that lurk in the back ground looking unsuspecting, nice and classy, then when a highway blast or cruise happens we show are wild side. People never know what hit them.

For real though, I have 3 2.5i cars, 04 STI, 09 WRX, and now my 06 LGT 5MT. Our cars are a WRX in a narrow body sedan. They can be just as fast and faster than an STI. But my 04 STI I would say no, that thing was in a class of it's own. Light and fast. I would get an LGT, people just have no clue what these cars can become.

Money pit :hide:

I do not agree about money pit at all. If you chase number and power then yes. None of my cars were money pits, I did what I did and left them along. they lasted very long till I sold them.

I follow the GTRs a lot and that can be a money pit :lol: