LegacyGT.com

Head gaskets or blown engine?

So basically I’ve had my 2007 legacy gt for about a year and a half, had the original ej255 in it, unfortunately that blew back in January so I swapped in a ej20y, 6 months later on my birthday while driving my oil pressure light flashed then I hear a small grinding noise then my car automatically shut itself off, I pulled over and saw a bunch of coolant on the ground as well as all over my engine bay but no oil. When I got it home I filled the fluids and cranked it for about 5 seconds but heard no knock or anything out of the ordinary but when I stopped cranking a really loud backfire happened kinda like if coolant was being ignited as well so it made a really loud bang but never started.

Fast forward to today I drained the oil and coolant came out first quite a fair amount, followed by oil, I took a magnet to see any metal shavings in the oil which there was none. But I’m not too sure if it’s head gaskets or not, isn’t there usually oil in the coolant if the head gaskets are blown?

Just trying to figure out if it’s worth fixing or if I should just cut my losses and part it out.

Any advice would be greatly appreciate before I pull the whole engine and try and see what the problem is. Thank you

Yeah, I'm guessing you hydro locked a cylinder.

You need a new shortblock...

Oh stick with a ej257 and arp head studs.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here