LegacyGT.com

Replacing the pinch bolt

I'm fairly new to this mechanic type things and more than likely will end up asking a ton of db questions so I can fix my Subaru myself.... I have an 2003 Legacy Gt. Somehow one of my pinch bolts will not go in all the way and just spuns after it decides that it's not goin to go in all the way.

My main question is, do i need to remove everything that i had to take off to replace the ball joint to start. Or can i just take the old one and replace it with most or all of everything still attached (minus the tire obviously)? :spin:

Yes, that's not safe.

You may get lucky and be able to run a thread tap in the clean up the threads. Worst case, you'll need a new steering knuckle.

Most pinch bolts break in the knuckle. I'ts cheaper, labor wise to just replace the knuckle.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

You absolutely should not be driving this car if you do not have your ball joint mounted. It is a tremendous safety hazard to you, your passengers, and any one around you. The wrong bump and your wheel gets stuffed in to the fender and you go for a ride you can't control. Be that at 15mph... or 60... you don't want it. That said...

how far the bolt going in? just want to be sure that the ball joint is seated all the way. if it's only going in a small amount and you can still see most of the bolt then the ball joint needs to go in to the knuckle more. if the bolt is going in a considerable amount and still not catching any threads, that's bad threads.

you might get lucky and be able to chase or retap it. Worst case you'll need to replace the knuckle.

If you drill the old one out and drill it straight, a grade 8 3/8 bolt and nut works perfectly fine

Glad someone else said it, literally every other manufacturer does it this way. No need to replace an entire spindle, when you just need a longer bolt and a nut after drilling yours out a bit