LegacyGT.com

Change my setup?

So my tune is in the final process and as I’ve stated in a previous post, it really feels like it leaves a lot to be desired but I’ve also thought it was in my head. I just got back from visiting wyoming and my friend who owns my old 05 sti let me borrow it for the week and I immediately knew I wasn’t wrong about outback feeling like a dog. The sti is a pretty basic stage 2 setup, and all around feels smoother and snappier and waaaay more powerful even with the stock turbo.

I started to worry when my tuner was expressing concerns about by spool times not peaking till 4k. Is the 16g the issue? Should I have gone with the vf52?

My setup is:

Bnr16g

Invidia catless up pipe

Invidia catted downpipe

Cobb 3 port

Stock injectors

a new short block

Gone through heads

subscribed. I have a VF52 with stock injectors and basic stage 2 type stuff. Still a bit laggy to me. I tried to play with the wastegate duty cycle (i.e. close the wastegate as early as possible so as to build spool as quickly as possible). Result is kinna meh. But it is also 100F everyday right now and I live at 2600Ft. So this does not help at all either.

I’ve driven and owned plenty of big turbo cars and the payoff for delay is easily made up for with power. This setup doesn’t have that. 300ish whp isn’t exactly something to write home about and it’s almost embarrassing when you have to wait for it like that big snap is just around the corner but it never comes. Like performance anxiety lol.

I’ve checked for exhaust leaks and all that, but I’m almost willing to bet there is something wrong with the turbo like a wastegate crack or something.

Outback weighs a lot more, and I imagine has taller gearing than the sti. It will feel slower with an identical engine and tune to the sti.

Do you have a way of seeing the boost you're hitting? I wouldn't think the 16g is miles bigger than the vf52 in terms of spool time. If everything is mechanically working as intended, my next step would be fueling. Maybe an intercooler?

Oh it’s going to be slower especially with the bigger tires, but even with 500lbs of luggage and passengers it’s a no contest. It’s the lag that really bugs me, the vf39 lights up quick and I know there are people making 300whp with them. I know for a fact my outback isn’t making close to 300 and it light up like a turtle

i make 310. it doesn't really wake up until 4000. Off-boost it's a bit of a dog. Are you sure you are chasing the right goal?

If you wanted streetable power, I'd have gone with a smaller turbo. Jmp makes something that is full boost at 2400rpm...

That might be the ticket and I might end up throwing the 16g on the shelf while I try something different.

This is what the tuner sent me-

“I am still very worried about the boost response as its very lazy. It doesnt spool to full boost until mid 4000's which is really late for a 16g.”

I’ll upload a datalog to see what you guys think

What is your wastegate duty looking like? If it's taking a lot of wastegate you may have a damaged/tilted wastegate flapper that's always slightly open.

What BPV are you using? If it's leaking you might also be struggling to make boost.

i did have the intake smoke tested just prior to tuning but i doubt they did anything beyond pulling the airbox and plugging the intake and filling it with smoke.

i have my own little ghetto smoke machine i built but its pretty much useless unless you have a huge air leak. so itd probably be easier to just cut out a plate of sheet metal and cut a gasket and sandwich it between the bpv and intercooler

I'll dig out some old logs when I get home. My previous setup was very similar to yours, aside from having bigger injectors. The 'grunt' was so violent that 1st gear was useless. Boost came up pretty early (3300ish RPM), with peak torque by 4000 RPM iirc. Note that peak boost does not equal peak torque, as some folks assume.

E85 helped spool a bit too.

So my tune is in the final process and as I’ve stated in a previous post, it really feels like it leaves a lot to be desired but I’ve also thought it was in my head. I just got back from visiting wyoming and my friend who owns my old 05 sti let me borrow it for the week and I immediately knew I wasn’t wrong about outback feeling like a dog. The sti is a pretty basic stage 2 setup, and all around feels smoother and snappier and waaaay more powerful even with the stock turbo.

I started to worry when my tuner was expressing concerns about by spool times not peaking till 4k. Is the 16g the issue? Should I have gone with the vf52?

My setup is:

Bnr16g

Invidia catless up pipe

Invidia catted downpipe

Cobb 3 port

Stock injectors

a new short block

Gone through heads

So I have an 06 LGT. I had an 04 STI and I am not sure why you are even thinking about comparing it to an OBXT. The list is a good start but if you really want it o move out you have to put on some more parts. Parts that really count.

Who is tuning your car?

BTW I make 315/324 (yes I have many parts) I am limited because my trans. My 5MT has 139K miles so I do not want to push it hard. OG tranny also. It was old lady driven. If I had a Spec B or STI trans I could do more power. Also get rid of that Dual Mass fly wheels. I went with light weight fly, and wrx stage 2 clutch. My car puts down many STI/WRX and other tuned cars.

Edited by NORULZleggy

I’m not really trying to compare the two cars because they will never be the same. I just want the snap that it feels like it’s missing. It does have a single mass flywheel. I have a bunch more ideas I’d like to get for the car but I’d like to dial in some of the power first

Looking at the logs, you're only at 2ish psi of boost at 2500 rpm with 68% wastegate. That seems off. Can you have your tuner zero the wsategate and do a log? It would be interesting to see the boost curve on wastegate pressure only. This could further tell yoinif your wastegate flap is off.

so a little bit of an update, i work weekends so i wasnt able to work on it till today but i was able to spend plenty of time obsessing about it. I couldnt shake the feeling that i still had an exhaust leak somewhere so i used some sea foam to try and get the leak to produce some steam and sure enough i had another leak that both me and the shop missed. on the flange between the oem manifold and the invidia up pipe with a 10k old gasket. Im going to go pick up some new gaskets and pull it apart and verify that all my surfaces are flat and maybe even add a little high temp sealer. its small and i doubt its going to solve everything but its definitely an embarrassing step in the right direction.

The stock mls gaskets are great! Which is what leads me to believe one of the flanges might be warped. I remember thinking about checking the invidia surfaces when I unboxed it but just putting it back in its box to wait for its install then never checking it :icon_roll

Sorry for the delay, here's my pump logs. Relevant specs were:

OEM Type RA short block, OEM B25 heads and valvetrain

BNR EVO III 16G

Grimmspeed 3-port EBCS

Rev9-ish TMIC (unknown ebay brand bought used, resembles Perrin)

Stock BPV

Stock exhaust manifold

Cobb catted DP

Invidia UP

ID1050X

4.11 gearing

ambient pressure 14.24 psia

Definitely seems to me like you have a leak somewhere, less boost on more wastegate at a later peak RPM. Aside from the injectors and gearing you're not set up too far off from where my car was.

93_2nd.csv

93_3rd.csv

Edited by awfulwaffle

Sorry for the delay, here's my pump logs. Relevant specs were:

OEM Type RA short block, OEM B25 heads and valvetrain

BNR EVO III 16G

Grimmspeed 3-port EBCS

Rev9-ish TMIC (unknown ebay brand bought used, resembles Perrin)

Stock BPV

Stock exhaust manifold

Cobb catted DP

Invidia UP

ID1050X

4.11 gearing

ambient pressure 14.24 psia

Definitely seems to me like you have a leak somewhere, less boost on more wastegate at a later peak RPM. Aside from the injectors and gearing you're not set up too far off from where my car was.

Yeah your boost comes in sharper and you hit full 5-700rpm sooner, thatd be that missing snap.