LegacyGT.com

**flashing brake warning light**

Yesterday, I got in and started the car.. Put it in reverse and while depressing the accelerator I heard a growl noise as the car didn't move. Thinking that it was odd, I put it in drive and same thing growl and car didn't move while pressing gas pedal !? At this point I noticed the BRAKE warning lamp was flashing? I checked the parking brake and it wasn't on? AGain I tried moving in reverse and nothing! At this point I'm thinking FML... I put it in park and turned it off.. The BRAKE warning light was still flashing with the car off!! Parking brake was not on either! Restarted the car and turned it off then back on again and while light BRAKE light was still flashing I set the parking brake and turned the car off.. Turned it back on again and no BRAKE warning light, but also the parking brake wasn't set, which it should have been because I had set it when I turned the car off? While the car was running I set and released the parking brake a couple times, which worked.. With the parking brake off I cycled the car again and had no BRAKE warning light and was able to drive away..? While driving i wasn't sure if the brakes were dragging or if it was just in my mind, lol.. I drove about 50 miles yesterday and it didn't happen again. Curious if anyone else has had something similar happen to them? **Nothing was in front of the car either , as if eyesight had engaged.. ??

Per the Legacy/Outback Owners Manual (You have read it, haven't you?), a flashing brake warning light indicates some malfunction in the Electric Parking Brake system. Most commonly, this means that one of the parking brake actuators is either disconnected or making intermittent contact.

The first diagnostic step would be to verify that both EPB harnesses are firmly and securely connected to their respective actuators.

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

It was such a weird thing to happen, I didn't even think to run the codes, out of curiosity I'll loop back with the codes if any come up. I keep a scan tool in the car. The flashing BRAKE light after turning the car off? I'm a big fan of eyesight, i'm not a fan of the push button emergency brake.. A lever connected to something mechanical , novel idea..

I'm a big fan of eyesight, i'm not a fan of the push button emergency brake.. A lever connected to something mechanical , novel idea..

I'm not going to argue with you about how things should be.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png