LegacyGT.com

Calling all Grimspeed TMIC owners--splitter question

I installed my Grimspeed TMIC about a month ago and noticed yesterday that the splitter was making noise when I closed the hood. After a closer inspection, I noticed a crack. See pic. Anyone has had a similar issue?

IMG_20210525_183906.thumb.jpg.29c3eff7854ae277765415b7e92c264d.jpg

IMG_20210525_183915.thumb.jpg.1dbaf3564388f64405a3a5cf127fd813.jpg

IMG_20210525_183926.thumb.jpg.699e87ec77764513143b8ce09d23e5b9.jpg

Edited by xt2005bonbon

I don't have that with mine, just checked.

My first guess is that they are too close where there is too much pressure on the splitter. Are there marks on the TMIC?

If not, maybe it's just a defect for that one splitter.

Thanks for chiming in.

Same spot as well?

Time gap between the crack happening and time of purchase?

Finally, are they sending you a replacement?

Same spot.

Cracked within a week or two.

Sent me a replacement.

I sent them the cracked unit.

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

I hate stuff rattling in the engine bay. I am almost positive the rattle from the splitter caused the -12 deg of pulled timing at a specific range of rpm/load. Thankfully, the ECU was smart enough to detect that the amplitude of the knock was not very high since it 'unlearned' it once I turned off and turned the car back on. At least, that's what I believe it did. :spin:

Once I found the crack, I added some duct tape and no more pulled timing.

My understanding is the intercooler's job is too cool down the intake charge since denser air can provide more power and less chance to knock. We need it because the compressed air generated by the turbo is noticeably warmer than the intake air that was originally sucked in at the MAF location. For your application, you would first want to check the difference between the air temp at the MAF location and the air temp at the throttle body. If the difference is minimal, then it is not necessary. My two cents.

would it be dumb to top mount on a non turbo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, I get that everybody starts somewhere, but I'm quite curious - where would you plan to hook up the inlet and outlet for the intercooler...? You don't have any charged air to cool. You have no forced induction, thus no need to cool charged air.

Also, yes, you technically... can? You'd just induce a ton of intake restriction. You have a radiator to keep all the necessary things in your car cool, plus a good intake from the factory.

Edited by Pleides

OK, I get that everybody starts somewhere, but I'm quite curious - where would you plan to hook up the inlet and outlet for the intercooler...? You don't have any charged air to cool. You have no forced induction, thus no need to cool charged air.

Also, yes, you technically... can? You'd just induce a ton of intake restriction. You have a radiator to keep all the necessary things in your car cool, plus a good intake from the factory.

Well, no need for the sarcastic start. I’m brand new to doing anything to vehicles in general so i was just asking because i’d love to put the gt hood on but why have a scoop with no top mount. Honestly id rather speak to anyone else than someone that wants to act like an ass first impression. could’ve just started with your second paragraph.

Good to hear. Here is a better picture of the crack.

I was also curious to see if some pressure was exerted around that location when the hood is closed. I took a closer look yesterday and it does not look like it at all. Strange.

IMG_20210603_184757.thumb.jpg.c4248ba2bf6ea17b87b38a3a586a36d7.jpg

IMG_20210603_184807.thumb.jpg.b9bfd53d1c627150996c15567f3bd829.jpg

Edited by xt2005bonbon

Well, no need for the sarcastic start. I’m brand new to doing anything to vehicles in general so i was just asking because i’d love to put the gt hood on but why have a scoop with no top mount. Honestly id rather speak to anyone else than someone that wants to act like an ass first impression. could’ve just started with your second paragraph.

As I said - everyone starts somewhere. This was just something that could easily be solved by looking under your hood for a place to start mounting it. Sorry if I came across as rude. It was nice to come across a comment that gave me a little chuckle! If I wanted to be super passive-aggressive I'd give you an lmgtfy link that answers your question. But for a metaphor for your question: it's kinda like asking if you can use garden shears for cutting paper. I mean... I guess you could, but it's a lot of extra work to cut the paper and it's a really expensive, goofy, and impractical alternative to just using the tried-and-true method already available.

You can put a hood scoop-equipped hood on your car if you so desire. It just won't really benefit much of anything on your NA cars. It's arguably not even the greatest way to cool an intercooler. Mitsubishi uses a much more efficient top-mount system in the Evos of old.

wow! if you're butthurt over that, welcome.

all 2005-2009 hoods fit all cars. If you want to look like you actually spent money on a GT, put a scooped hood on it. You'll need a "madrig" carbon fiber scoop as that's what all the best cars are running.

if you want to actually use the scoop as an intake tract, you'll have to custom make a splitter to connect to the intake manifold. You'll probably want to use a smaller intercooler like an air to water type (mercedes sells them) to get the best cooling in that small space. On the plus side, you'll be able to get rid of the intake piping on the front of the engine.

post up when you get it all in place. The setup is pretty rare but it's good for 100hp over stock when done right

Good to hear. Here is a better picture of the crack.

I was also curious to see if some pressure was exerted around that location when the hood is closed. I took a closer look yesterday and it does not look like it at all. Strange.

Boxkita Racing made a couple of splitters. Still have some in inventory.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/gb-pw-splitter-aluminum-278751.html?t=278751

To show pressure where the splitter meets the tmic, here are mine. The first two pic's are the wagon. Second two are the Spec B.

DSCN9297.thumb.JPG.04cbd9d5c45d4490f7599fa2bfc15d79.JPG

DSCN9298.thumb.JPG.87658d8f0a51a21c6535d7df2e954bd0.JPG

DSCN9302.thumb.JPG.83dc000e8ec41e9e494beb060a5d61fa.JPG

DSCN9301.thumb.JPG.25c0d409eacb733a003d988e45383c5c.JPG

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 9 months later...