LegacyGT.com

Built 5mt or 6mt swap

norutah

Starting to consider a PPG gear set for my 5mt or a built 5mt or a 6mt swap.

My car is a 2005 OB XT. I'm in northern Utah and I'll travel a decent distance or pay freight. What's out there?

Added: I'd buy a blown up 6mt car if the price was right

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

Edited by norutah

Dont forget Ralispec in NJ.

curious what kind of power you are making or type of driving you are doin in an outback XT to warrant that level of gearset.

I was back on the rollers to adjust for EWG last week @turbolab made 380 tq. Backed off to 350 and the car was very happy there, backed off again to 330/320 and left it for now.

What kind of driving? If I had to label it I'd say teenager with no concept of mechanical limits.

Warranting stronger trans? Pay now or pay later I guess.

i collect 5mt and 6mt. there's no new 6mt being made, so its a limited supply pool.

zf transmission in Colorado is probably your best bet for a customized 6mt

I was considering a built 5 Mt or a stock 6mt. You collect 6mt? Any for sale?

$3k for parts/labor on a gear box just to get a sticker......seems legit. [emoji38]
$3k for a strong trans and a sticker sounds fair, or I could spend it on a shiny new set of wheels I guess. Do the wheels come with a sticker too?

I was back on the rollers to adjust for EWG last week @turbolab made 380 tq. Backed off to 350 and the car was very happy there, backed off again to 330/320 and left it for now.

What kind of driving? If I had to label it I'd say teenager with no concept of mechanical limits.

Warranting stronger trans? Pay now or pay later I guess.

ok, well in reality the 5mt can handle that power so long as you aren't doing clutch drops or running r-comps. the real issue with the 5mt is case flex since its a split case design. you can buy blast plates to stiffen up the box to help that issue. Sure, gearsets will help, but without case strengthening, the benefits from the gears will be diminished unless you go straight cut.

ok, well in reality the 5mt can handle that power so long as you aren't doing clutch drops or running r-comps. the real issue with the 5mt is case flex since its a split case design. you can buy blast plates to stiffen up the box to help that issue. Sure, gearsets will help, but without case strengthening, the benefits from the gears will be diminished unless you go straight cut.

you know, Ive heard about the case problems since day one. both of my failures had nothing to do with the case. speed shifting stripped 3&4. 5th is not a suitable gear for the track, especially if you run r-comp tires.

you can get blast plates and upgraded gear sets for 5mt. You can also get a used 6mt. Once you start upgrading the 6mt, you can light piles of money.

if you really want custom gears, figure out what you want to do then put together a gearset. Me personally, I'd make 6th gear hardened and good for 200mph. 1-2 would be autox fun, 2-4 track fun, 5 overdrive. 6? doesn't come into play until you're over 130. But I wanted to do Silver States.

the case problems are what cause the gears to strip. under load, the flex allows the gears move apart and partially un-mesh, and when the gears are like that they are only transmitting tq on the tip of the tooth and not the full face of the tooth. So once a gear breaks, it cause a chain reaction to the rest of the gear. Adding blast plates resolves this issue somewhat, and doing straight cut lower gears will allow more of the tq to be distributed across the tooth, but straight cut gears aren't really necessary below 400wtq.

fwiw, the rear R160 vlsd diff is the true weak point of the 5mt cars. i busted more rear diffs than gearboxes launching with r-comps on a stage 2+ car......then the axles went. :lol:

Edited by whitetiger

This is all great info. Thank you both for sharing. The good news is I do not launch the car. I am generally moving when I remember I have power on tap and decide it's time to smash gas. I'll buy blast plates and watch for @boxkita to sell a 6mt swap

if you havent done them already, group.n motor and trans mounts and upgrade the rear diff bushings, the more you can cushion driveline shock while keeping twist to a minimum, the better everything will be with the blast plates. Edited by whitetiger

you could buy the race wagon and skip this lunacy. jdm forester sti 6mt and associated parts already installed. imsa level cage to really feel the road...
I've considered this option. Sell the wife's Legacy or daily it, put her in the outback, by race wagon and race it