LegacyGT.com

Just did the Rockford Fosgate upgrade

I’m really happy with the upgrade. Bass is certainly better, and there is def more volume now. I’m not looking to rattle windows, so this is perfect for a stock upgrade with no hacking of wires. If anyone is thinking of doing this, here are my tips. One, the head unit needs to be unbolted, but you do not need to disconnect every wire/harness like the directions say. It just isn’t necessary. Two, when you remove the center console, there are two small bolts near the seatbelts. Out the seat all the way forward, and these are super easy to get to. Three, the only real pain in the ass is routing the harness under part of the carpet to come out under the passenger seat where to amp will sit. I cut my carpet. It’s completely unnoticeable. It was so hard to get the two connectors under and through. I fished a piece of copper wire from a 14/2 electrical wire to tape the harness though to help guide it through. It’s actually quite funny how small the magnets are on the stock speakers. They could probably hold a post it note on the fridge. Lol

I’m really happy with the upgrade. Bass is certainly better, and there is def more volume now. I’m not looking to rattle windows, so this is perfect for a stock upgrade with no hacking of wires. If anyone is thinking of doing this, here are my tips. One, the head unit needs to be unbolted, but you do not need to disconnect every wire/harness like the directions say. It just isn’t necessary. Two, when you remove the center console, there are two small bolts near the seatbelts. Out the seat all the way forward, and these are super easy to get to. Three, the only real pain in the ass is routing the harness under part of the carpet to come out under the passenger seat where to amp will sit. I cut my carpet. It’s completely unnoticeable. It was so hard to get the two connectors under and through. I fished a piece of copper wire from a 14/2 electrical wire to tape the harness though to help guide it through. It’s actually quite funny how small the magnets are on the stock speakers. They could probably hold a post it note on the fridge. Lol

Not sure I would attempt this but does your radio has Speed Volume Control that is absent from my Harman Kardon stereo?

Imo it was well worth it. The bass is way better than I expected. The kit comes with everything you need. The main harness, amplifier, new front 6x9’s. You literally just need a 10mm wrench and a Phillips head. I would def do it again.

Imo it was well worth it. The bass is way better than I expected. The kit comes with everything you need. The main harness, amplifier, new front 6x9’s. You literally just need a 10mm wrench and a Phillips head. I would def do it again.

Awesome! I’ve definitely been eyeballing it for about a year now. So it doesn’t replace the rear speakers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, the rear speakers stay. You could obv replace them. I did the fade to the rear and front to see if the rears sounded distorted when the stereo was turned up. They sounded better than I thought they would. I will likely not even bother replacing them.

• 3 months later...
I think the seat may be difficult to remove. I was going to do that too, but the bolts were mega tight, so I decided to leave it. The most difficult part was getting the harness under the carpet. I cut some of my carpet to make it easier. Nobody will ever be able to see where I cut it.

I did remove the cluster and shift knob. I can’t remember the directions for the shift knob removal. I believe you need to remove the clip holding the leather boot to the knob. Then there is a clip or something you disengage to remove the knob. I found it online somewhere.

Ok finished this up in about 2 hours. And holy cow I’m so glad I did this upgrade! It sounds fuller, tighter bass and well worth the small hassles that go into the upgrade.

First up the shift knob, very easy to remove. Gently pull down at the base and it will show you a metal clip. Remove that clip and pull straight up.

51424473565_8f1653ce36_k.jpgUntitled by John Wilkinson, on Flickr

This picture looks intimidating, but if you take your time and follow the directions its so incredibly easy. Everything for me came off easily with trim tools and being careful.

51423488751_f978d420b6_k.jpgUntitled by John Wilkinson, on Flickr

In my option removing the seat was also very easy, 4 12mm bolts with a 1/2’” ratchet and they came right out. Then it was a breeze to push the harness under the carpet to meet the amplifier.

51424251644_abebe54656_k.jpgUntitled by John Wilkinson, on Flickr

Speaker comparison

51424473630_9eb1275223_k.jpgUntitled by John Wilkinson, on Flickr

51424473600_7d01169356_k.jpgUntitled by John Wilkinson, on Flickr

I would do this upgrade again without hesitation.

New to both Subaru and this forum. Probably a dumb question, but is this upgrade specific to vehicles without the upgraded audio? My car came with the Harman Kardon Premium Audio System upgrade, so I assuming this is something that would not benefit my car.

New to both Subaru and this forum. Probably a dumb question, but is this upgrade specific to vehicles without the upgraded audio? My car came with the Harman Kardon Premium Audio System upgrade, so I assuming this is something that would not benefit my car.
That would be correct.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Not a dumb question. The HK system leaves a LOT to be desired. Might just need a tweeter upgrade, though. I found the dash tweeter swap in my 2017 Premium Crosstrek to be the most effective at improving the sound (without adding a sub). I swapped the door speakers as well and was surprised to find that they weren't paper cone trash and had a built in baffle. I noticed the same muffled high frequency issue in the Legacy, despite that center dash speaker.

Not a dumb question. The HK system leaves a LOT to be desired. Might just need a tweeter upgrade, though. I found the dash tweeter swap in my 2017 Premium Crosstrek to be the most effective at improving the sound (without adding a sub). I swapped the door speakers as well and was surprised to find that they weren't paper cone trash and had a built in baffle. I noticed the same muffled high frequency issue in the Legacy, despite that center dash speaker.

Just to be clear, you just swapped out your door speakers and tweeters, and did not add any additional amps, have to route additional power, etc.?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...