LegacyGT.com

Aftermarket up pipe heat shielding

Yes I know, I'm late to the party. Been searching all morning and haven't found a consensus answer.

My OEM up pipe has failed at 150k. (Gen 3 OBXT 2008, no cat, no sensor) Weighing the option of an aftermarket up pipe. (Grimmspeed?)

The OEM pipe has attached heat shielding, the aftermarket pipes do not.

Do I need to fabricate some sort of protection for the new pipe or it is okay to run without? (Don't want to melt something) Or is it easier just to replace with an OEM pipe?

Daily driver more concerned with long term reliability rather than wringing every last bit out of it.

You may be able to find a "take off" from an STI over on NASIOC.

So your OEM up pipe has cracked and is leaking ? I think your the first person to have this happen.

Most aftermarket up pipes crack after 7 or 8 years...

I have used DEI heat wrap on mine, but that's still not great because it may hold in moisture...but my Invidia Up pipe cracked at the flange.

DSCN8165.thumb.JPG.17648dd230bac13158b36ec5845f952d.JPG

Notice I bolt the turbo on the up pipe, makes it easier to line up the "new oil return hose" turbo inlet and up pipe at the same time.

DSCN4783.thumb.JPG.68cb4c502e215b54221880350907a54e.JPG

Also install hint, leave the turbo lose on the UP until you have the TB hose, and turbo outlet hose and tmic support brackets lines up and bolts started. Tighten the turbo last.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Chasing a "sounds like broken exhaust" noise. Obviously couldn't see doodly down in that rats nest while it was all together but the noise was definitely coming out of the shielding at the top of the up pipe. The pipe pulled apart at the bellows while I was yanking it out, so I'm guessing that was the failure point.

Now just need to decide which direction to go forward.

You should be fine with any good quality UP, a la, Cobb, GS, Perrin etc. I’m a Cobb guy so I use their stuff. So far I’ve gotten about 6 yrs out of their UP’s before they fail. There are removable blankets that you can guy for your UP if you don’t want to wrap it. Lots of guys, me included, choose to leave it unwrapped

• 3 weeks later...

Decided to go with the Grimspeed pipe. Flex joint may or may not be necessary but I figure it can't hurt. Also decided to wrap the solid section with titanium wrap. Made me feel better to at least try to keep the heat at Bay.

Also went a step deeper and replaced the turbo oil feed pipe. The original was looking a bit rough.

Engine sounds much better and I sleep better at night. :)

Clipboard01.thumb.jpg.9b0bdcbc039583683bcc66914698f65c.jpg

175320093_4021198921289820_1621138971824440929_n.thumb.jpg.f2de872464236dfb348c14d1f9a0d100.jpg

You should be fine with any good quality UP, a la, Cobb, GS, Perrin etc. I’m a Cobb guy so I use their stuff. So far I’ve gotten about 6 yrs out of their UP’s before they fail. There are removable blankets that you can guy for your UP if you don’t want to wrap it. Lots of guys, me included, choose to leave it unwrapped

You and Byron both. I've never heard of a mass of failures of our uppipes over the years. What causes that to happen? I thought rust, perhaps, but you live in the same climate I do.

You and Byron both. I've never heard of a mass of failures of our uppipes over the years. What causes that to happen? I thought rust, perhaps, but you live in the same climate I do.

Could be climate partly but on a car that’s daily driven and then you also track the piss out of it each season, (which I did with the Legacy for many years before going full time track car), eventually all that heat cycling will cause anything to wear out.

• 7 months later...
the dei stuff is useless on UP. It has a 30 second life at 1800-2000 degrees. The UP will cook in a couple of days

look into heatshieldproducts.com for actual heat shields. The basalt stuff will be enough, just leave room for the metal to expand

My DEI wrap is unchanged after 3 years on my Invidia UP. I did use almost a whole can of DEI sealer...

so far so good, but I'll keep an eye on it.

Sorry for such a late response. I just saw this. I bought an STi takeoff for $80.00 and am running on that now. Better and cheaper than aftermarket in my opinion.

No need to apologize :).

Just to be clear, did your Grimspeed up pipe actually crack and leak at the flex joint?