LegacyGT.com

2010 Legacy no Smart Link

I recently bought a 2010 Legacy (First Subaru). Under the rearview mirror, facing me is a single button with the power button symbol. On either side of the button are indicator lights. It seems to be that this car has no Smart Link. Or is it located in another location that I have not yet seen?

Any help is appreciated.

That button on the rear view mirror is for turning off the compass or to activate the auto dimming feature. If your car was equipped with homelink, you will have 3 additional buttons. http://www.cars101.com/subaru/outback/outback11rearviewmirror1.JPG

Too SWEET. Question. Will the wiring harness on the back of my (non-smart Link) mirror still connect and function with the features on the Smart Link mirror?

Too SWEET. Question. Will the wiring harness on the back of my (non-smart Link) mirror still connect and function with the features on the Smart Link mirror?

the harness should be able to power the homelink mirror. I did the swap myself from auto-dimming to homelink mirror with no issues

I found a home link mirror from a 2014 Legacy, complete with the cable with connectors on both ends. Some sellers cut the cables or sell the mirrors with no cables at all.

Will a 2014 home link mirror fully function on my 2010 Legacy with only auto dimming?

the harness should be able to power the homelink mirror. I did the swap myself from auto-dimming to homelink mirror with no issues

Great. I am looking at a couple of options on Ebay. This is a great idea, to update the mirror to add home link. Was the mirror you added from the same model year as your car? My car is a 2010. The mirror I am considering is from a 2014. Will that be a problem in terms of the power cable connectors?

Edited by Gpruitt54

Today, I ordered a 2014 Home Link mirror on Ebay. I found one for a fantastic, price complete with the cable and center cable manager. For all I know, the stock cable for the dimmer mirror may work just fine. We'll see how it all goes. I will report back with results.

I am updating this thread as of March 18th, 2021

Well, there is good news for this little project. The good news is that the compass and dimmer functions perfectly. The bad news is that I had not cleared out whatever programming was in the mirror prior to my buying it used on Ebay. Because of this, the Home Link did not work. After cleaning the memory in the mirror and pairing it with my opener, Home Link is up and running.

It seems that the power cable behind the mirror is universal regardless of Home Link and non-Home Link mirrors. Contrary to what some say, the power cable behind the overhead panel is not universal. The connector for non-Home Link mirrors are different from mirrors with Home Link. The non-home link mirrors have a 3 wire connector, whereas the Home Link mirror connector has 2 additional wires with a different style connector.

I bought a Home Link mirror its cable harness. The Home Link cable harness is not required for this to work. I used the cable harness from the stock non-Home Link mirror. As stated earlier, the Home Link mirror cable harness connector in the over-head panel has a different layout. So, go ahead and use the harness already with the non-Home Link mirror. It seems to work fine. Be sure to clear out the replacement mirror's programming. To clear out the programming, press and hold for 20 seconds both the right-most and left-most garage opener buttons, until the red led starts flashing. This means that the unit's programming is cleared and the unit is ready to be paired with your opener.

This turned out to be a great upgrade, in that I no longer need to use the Old-School opener.

attachment.php?attachmentid=290801&stc=1&d=1616035398

attachment.php?attachmentid=290803&stc=1&d=1616035398

In order for the Home Link to function. I needed to clear out the programming that was in the mirror when I bought it on Ebay. To clear out the programming, press and hold for 20 seconds both the right-most and left-most garage opener buttons, until the red led starts flashing. This means that the unit's programming is cleared and the unit is ready to be paired with your opener.

attachment.php?attachmentid=290828&stc=1&d=1616118998

1841596247_HomeLinkconnector.thumb.jpg.dc31117fa401b664391ffa68a7d0980f.jpg

175760362_mirrorconnectedandpowered.thumb.jpg.947ab8417fb2131a6816645e67924a48.jpg

321016741_mirrorconnector.thumb.jpg.1d712e12ee7998a30a988942506a0e6b.jpg

Edited by Gpruitt54

According to this guy the 2014+ mirrors are different than the older ones.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/151489329704

Maybe he could make you a harness that will work.

My 2011 has the home link mirror and only has three wires. That said I’ve never used the home link so I don’t know if it works.

I modified some of what I stated initially. It turns out that the three wire connector did in fact work to power all aspects (Garage door opener, compass, and dimmer) of the Home Link mirror. I discovered this after clearing the memory of the mirror. After this, I was able to get the door opener to function perfectly. This is while using the dimmer only stock mirror wiring harness.

Awesome post. So basically to make it work, you need to swap out the non homelink harness with the homelink harness. I guess whoever is looking in eBay, they should buy a mirror that is complete with the harness and avoid any issues.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

Awesome post. So basically to make it work, you need to swap out the non homelink harness with the homelink harness. I guess whoever is looking in eBay, they should buy a mirror that is complete with the harness and avoid any issues.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

You know how these things go. In that there may be differences. In my case, my car was supplied with a mirror with dimming only and no Home Link. I bought a Home Link mirror with its harness. I could not use the Home Link harness because it would not mate to the connector behind for overhead panel. Though the connector on the back-side of the mirror is the same for Home Link and non-Home Link mirrors Using the harness already in the car which supplied the dimmer only mirror worked to power the Home Link mirror. Just remember to clear whatever programming my be in the Home Link mirror.

According to this guy the 2014+ mirrors are different than the older ones.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/151489329704

Maybe he could make you a harness that will work.

My 2011 has the home link mirror and only has three wires. That said I’ve never used the home link so I don’t know if it works.

That is not at all the point. I stated that the mirror I bought, with Home Link, has a different power cable connector where it connects in the overhead panel.

Edited by Gpruitt54