LegacyGT.com

I think I'm getting cold feet..... HELP!!!!!

I'm about a week away from sealing the deal on an '05 Legacy GT Limited, but something's holding me back from making the jump. I'm guessing it's because it doesn't look very sporty. It drives very sporty, offers a lot of comfort and a nice amount of luxury features, but when I look at it, it doesn't raise my pulse or bring out any emotions. The other day I walked into a Subaru showroom and saw a brand new '05 STi in black sitting there - all prepped and shiny. Now I never was a fan of the STi's looks from what I saw in pictures, but in person it looks awesome. I walked over and loved the style, the blue interior, the aggressive wheels and tires, and the mean looking body work. I was balled over by it. I didn't test drive it since it was their only one and it sat in their showroom. I did sit inside it, and loved the way it looked and felt inside. The one negative I noticed was the seats seemed very stiff, and I'm wondering if that'll wind up making for an uncomfortable ride since I love taking weekend trips, most of which are a few hours away. I don't plan on racing it or autocrossing with the car, but I do take trips up where there are lots of windy curvy roads and I love to play on those roads a bit. The question is, is the STi a car that is comfortable to drive for several hours at a time? How is it in stop and go traffic? Would this car be a royal pain in the ass to own as your only car? Now I've driven the '05 Legacy GT Limited for a little over 30 minutes on a test drive, and was balled over by its excellent handling, very comfortable seats, and how quick it felt once the turbo kicked in. Like I said, the thing that keeps me from jumping for the Leg GT Ltd is how it isn't very sporty looking at all. Likewise, the thing that'll hold me back from the STi is the insurance, which for me costs almost twice that of the Legacy GT Limited, and if the seats are uncomfortable on long trips. I would love any ideas or input based on your ownership experiences with the STi or the Legacy GT Limited. Thanks, Mike

If you are as young as you appear in your avatar, if you have no responsibility to a wife and/or kids, if you like the blingy looks of the STi better than the Legacy, and if the difference in price and insurance premiums is something you can live with, then by all means go for the STi over the Leg GT. Re the seats: Don't be such a pu**y. Its a performance car. If you don't like the seats, drive out to Los Angeles when I get my GT and I'll swap you interiors.

don't know how different the STi seats are as compared to the WRX wagon that I own...but I have taken many a long trip in the wagon (NY to New Orleans, to Toronto, to Ohio, to Philly, to DC, to Maryland, etc....) and have never really had an issue. The STi, at least here in NY, is not going to be worth it...trust me...given that you are in the 'city' part of NY. The BQE can wreak havoc on your kidneys...and you WILL have to change the 'high perf. summer' tires on the car, nearing the winter months...if you can deal with the expense, go for it. I too would have opted for an STi, but, am kinda tired of having the ability to fit three other people in the car...who have almost no legroom (mind you, the wagon has 3 more inches of room in the rear than the '02 sedan). And it is kinda odd that you praised the legacy so much, and are now complaining about the 'sporty' character of the car? Oh well, to each their own. Good luck on the decision. Later, i.

This will be my daily driver, the insurance difference is a little bit over $1600/year, and I'll be stuck with it for a few years, even if it sucks as a daily driver. Other than that it'll probably rock. The Leg fits all my needs 110%, once inside the car it is amazing - especially once you get going with it, but the styling like I said doesn't raise my pulse - silly reason I know - especially when it's a car that trumps every other car in the price range with an excellent balance of performance and comfort. Just cold feet I assume, or maybe it's because they had a Regal Blue Legacy sitting next to a STi, and the STi looked completely bad ass compared to everything else in the showroom. I really like the Regal Blue, yesterday was the fourth time I saw it in person - and it was beautiful. - Mike

Dude...you're killing me. The Legacy GT isn't supposed to look sporty. If it did, the people that Subaru actually has to depend on for a living, Ben and Barb Average, wouldn't buy the car, as they wouldn't be caught dead driving a "sporty looking" ride. The STi is supposed to look badass. The GT isn't. That's why Subaru will sell more GTs by accident than they will STis. I hate to keep returning to this example, but it works so well. A 456GT isn't "sporty looking" in the same way that an Enzo is. If you want an STi, get an STi. It's faster and handles better. No, it isn't as nice and it rides like crap, but as rao says, suck it up. :lol: Kevin

Nevermind.... LOL :D I just realized that with the difference in insurance cost between the Legacy and the STi, I could have the entire entire interior professional reupholstered with leather to have the same color scheme as the STi, and still have a few hundred dollars left over :o . For the price difference, and the costly insurance difference, in two years on just the insirance cost, I could have a navigation system and two tone black/blue leather installed in the Legacy. 8) - You all know what my plans are now. Chip, Blue/black leather, and navigation. Fast and sporty, sporty looking, extremely comfortable, and luxurious - and still with mods and stuff, would be cheaper than the STi over the course of a few years of ownership. Goodbye cold feet. - Mike

I was looking at the STI as well. Coming from a modified WRX I too thought the GT was a little 'unsporty'. At first I kept questioning my decision to go with the GT, but not anymore. It may sound stupid, but everytime I drive this car I like it more. I find myself taking corners faster than I ever did in my WRX but still sucking up the railroad crossings and crappy pavement with no problems. I no longer get the compliments from the high school kids at the grocery store, but I can live with that :lol: . Chris S. (I did go with red and a spoiler to make it a little sportier though!)

First things first Mike, I guess you are in your early 20s and your need for a hot looking machine is so natural, understandable and right for you. First things first, if you pick a great interior/exterior color and put a great looking wheel/tire combo on the Leg GT, 98% of the young women will love your Leg over the sti. Notice I did say great color, great bling wheels, upgraded sound and you have a car that drives like a guy car and styles like a hottie magnet. Once you get past the sti radical factor, the sti is mostly a guy thing. (okay, I wish the Leg sedan did not have the Camary tail lights.) What are your decision factors? AutoX, girls, style ride with sporting hardware, ??? My kids told me my BMW looked like an old fa*t car till I put the M-suspension on it and 18 Hartge’s. (okay I am an old fa*t, but I don’t want my car to look like that.) Great wheels/tires transform even the best cars. You have plenty of years ahead to make decisions on serious factors. You have two great choices so follow your passion. I cannot figure out what you lose, regardless of which car you choose. Lucky man.

I'm being tempted by the seductive siren call of the STi as well. I finally drove both the LGT and STi last weekend, and was surprised at how relatively civil the STi was. As impressive as the LGT's handling and interior quality were, the STi was no where near as rough-riding or as crude as I had expected. Both the LGT and STi look far better in person than in pictures, but the LGT sedan's relatively pedestrian stock exterior just isn't as compelling to me. For $30k I need to fall in love with a car before buying it, and its the Crystal Gray STi that beckons with that mesmerizing "come hither" look. But compared to the LGT Limited, an STi would cost me at least $4,000 more to purchase initially, insurance is 40% higher (=$700/year more), mandatory winter tires/rims would cost $1000-1400, and a wingless trunk swap might be free but could cost $600. I haven't driven an STi on the highway, but if it really is too loud then that's another $200+ in Dynamat-style sound insulation material. I also wonder if the emotional joy of driving an STi could also be tempered by a constant emotional fear of vandalism and theft. I live on Chicago's north side and my car will have to be parked outside year-round. I'm trying to convince myself that the LGT is the better choice, and that I can divert the substantial cost savings into exterior enhancements (rear lip spoiler, front mesh grill, HIDs) and performance mods (Accessport, exhaust, real tires) that will make the LGT just as special and ultimately, a far more sensible choice.

Some very to the point comments thus far. Not much to add except that even 'your' tastes will change as you get older, and hopefully wiser. The LGT looks nice, slightly understated and civilized. When you get in it you feel comfortable (yes, I'm having trouble reconciling armrest, rear view mirror, etc. etc. ). I personally have a silver '98 altima that I can't complain about for what it is) and hope to replace it within a year or thereabouts. Regarding feeling 'emotional' about a car, that would be a simple bmw 325i in regard to styling aesthetics. It's fair to say that I have spent more time looking at them than my girlfriend the last year. Sporty, tightly wrapped, short front overhang, great door lines. Interior...questionable. But exterior is as sexy as I need. In that regard, the LGT is a compromise ...it doesn't have the lines that I 'love'. But, it is not bad. To be in your early 20's and see the LGT...it's understandable about your dilemma. The fact is, though, what 'all of us' thought was 'it' when we were that age is not what we think in our early 40's. You have a different peer group. Perhaps try this angle: Stop thinking for a moment about what people think when might see you in an STi (and really, the only people that will probably care are people about your age), and think about how entertained a lady friend will be when she is a passenger in your LGT, perhaps at night amidst the cultured yet effective glow of interior lighting and perforated leather seating ....and gives you credit for being able to make wise decisions despite your young years. Of course, only you can determine which way to go (and I see that you posted that you may have made up your mind), but also keep in mind that the lower priced LGT will save you money for your next car. The STi, from what I gather, is a beast. Like my friend's Doge Viper. It's good for one or two things, expensive, doesn't always impress the people you really 'need' to impress because it's not a 'practical' purchase. It is what it is....and if you 'out-mature' it...you're screwed. Your peer buddies will turn their heads, the rest won't care. The LGT, will possess fewer of these problems. I don't see the LGT like I do the 325i (and I'm afraid the '05/'06 one will be either redone stupid or still underpowered and still terribly overpriced), but I appreciate that it's somewhat sporty and nicely styled...but more importantly, refined, upscale, and supposedly a solid performer (or 'out-performer' even). Hope this helps.

I was in the same boat, could have gone with either car. Money really wasn't to much of an issue, but it would be nice to have extra spending money if I went with the GT. I came from a WRX Cobb stage 2, which was plenty powerfull and it had an amazing suspension setup, better then a STI. I didn't mind the harsh ride much at all either. But when it came down to it, the Legacy seemed like the better car for me. I too though it wasn't as agressive as I would like, but then I saw some of the body kits and knew it could be made to look better then a STI. My roomate has a 05 STI so I allways see his car and allways think if I should have gone with it, but as soon as I sit in my Legacy I forget all about the STI :)

[quote name='MtnSub']First things first Mike, I guess you are in your early 20s and your need for a hot looking machine is so natural, understandable and right for you. First things first, if you pick a great interior/exterior color and put a great looking wheel/tire combo on the Leg GT, 98% of the young women will love your Leg over the sti. Notice I did say great color, great bling wheels, upgraded sound and you have a car that drives like a guy car and styles like a hottie magnet. Once you get past the sti radical factor, the sti is mostly a guy thing. (okay, I wish the Leg sedan did not have the Camary tail lights.) What are your decision factors? AutoX, girls, style ride with sporting hardware, ??? My kids told me my BMW looked like an old fa*t car till I put the M-suspension on it and 18 Hartge’s. (okay I am an old fa*t, but I don’t want my car to look like that.) Great wheels/tires transform even the best cars. You have plenty of years ahead to make decisions on serious factors. You have two great choices so follow your passion. I cannot figure out what you lose, regardless of which car you choose. Lucky man.[/quote] Man you hit it right on the head. The thing with me is I'm juggling, buy the completely impractical sports car that'll probably cause me a billion in one headaches - but man it'll look sweet. Or, but the Legacy, it's quick, has a nice amount of features, drives mint and has excellent grip, but doesn't look sporty. Two cars I seriously looked at was the '04 Mach 1 Mustang - if I didn't test drive it, I would probably be crusing in it right now - in style but very uncomfortable. Plus, it seems like with those Mach's - you have to be on your toes constantly with them because the rear can snap out because of the littlest things - I know, I was very very close to sealing the deal and did many months of research. The other car was the Audi TT, the payments were insane expensive and the insurance was just as nightmarish - which broke my heart because the TT and the Mach were my two favorite cars on the road. I'm now close to 24 years old, I fear locking myself into something that I'll be in for 5 years, because I don't know where I'll be at 28/29, gotta look ahead, and I'll be living with this decision for the rest of my 20's. The battle of emotions and impulses vs logic and reason. I guess that's why I'm going for the Legacy GT Limited, it's got style (mostly in the interior), lot of features, realibity, practicality, AWD - for excellent handling - note fun in the twisties, yet great all year long no matter what mother nature throws my way, it's fast and all. I also know 3, 4, or 5 years down the line, I still got a great car that I can use and will be realible and practical. How many people you know drive the same TT or a Mustang for many years and still use it as a reliable daily driver - very very very few if any. - Mike

Actually, I had a mustang for longer than any other car I've owned, and it was one of the most reliable I ever owned--the last I knew it had around 300k miles on it and was still on the road...it was a good college car. As far as the LGT vs STi--well, its sort of a win/win situation, whichever you pick. Personally I don't think the STi looks so bad in say the silver as far as "boy racer", and the new interior isn't at all bad either--very sporty and not cheap looking. Ride quality on my wrx was fine--don't know how much worse it is on the STi but its probably liveable. Visibility and ergonomics actually go to the wrx's as well. And it'll handle way better and be much faster. And if you're going to do a car like that at all, it would be when you're young. As far as the LGT--there's something to be said about a sleeper, its classy looking somewhat depending on color, sporty in a subtle way, has more amenities, and much easier on the insurance pocket book, and man I hate giving those leeches any more money than I have to. As far as seat comfort, which you mentioned--the regular wrx had awesome seats that were very comfortable no matter how long the ride--I would expect the sti's to be similar. The LGT's are relatively comfortable but I'm not really sure if I find them quite as comfortable as my wrx actually for longer hauls. But if I end up getting fat in my old age that may change...

Guest *Jedimaster*
Think long haul. You look young in your picture, but how happy is the STi going to make you in the long run? Honestly, after owning one WRX, that's enough for me- they're small, ride hard and don't have the feel of quality I'm used to in a car. That's not to say I was raised on Mercedes Benz or anything, but the Impreza is honestly the cheapest car I've ever seen- even the feel of the interior plastic got to seem chintzy.

Get a Z then. Or a G35 Coupe. Seriously I really like the Legacy. Partly because it fits my situation. My 2dr RS (moded) as sporty as it is no longer work in my live style. A house + marriage does that to you. If I'm your age , single, no commitments and can swing the price of a GT, I might consider a Z or even the G35C. The STi is too rowdy. GC8 STi used to be my favourite when I was your age. But not anymore.

I have actuly been haveing unpure thoughts about going back to an RX8. I miss the 50/50 weight distribution..and the awsome 6mt..and the rotary sound.. Quick guys gimme some negetives to keep me from thinking such evil thoughts..

[quote name='B4_Maniac']I have actuly been haveing unpure thoughts about going back to an RX8. I miss the 50/50 weight distribution..and the awsome 6mt..and the rotary sound.. Quick guys gimme some negetives to keep me from thinking such evil thoughts..[/quote] That's Easy... - 13 mpg - much higher insurance - almost 100 lb-ft of torque less than the Legacy GT - 237 hp - 13 less hp than the Legacy GT - tiny trunk - torture chamber rear seating area - Engine flooding - Eats oil Need any other reasons? :D - Mike

[quote name='wunderkind']Get a Z then. Or a G35 Coupe. [/quote] Let me strike out the G35 real fast - nasty looking interior - makes me want to throw up all over myself when I see that interior. That one reason is why I am not getting the G35. The Z, interesting that you bring it up. I been playing with the thought. The interior is eh, but kinda looks cool in its own way. The body is beautiful. Cons: 2 seats - could live with that, might be good for Saturday nights when my friend always has a tendency to have me pick up one of her friends to tag ago. Cargo room is what scares me with the Z - it's very little - not sure if there is enough to take weekend trips for two with it or not - that would be my largest concern. Options with the Z, now here I would very please - I would get my navi (yes I have a thing for navi's) LMAO :D The Z would be the closest I'd probably ever come to driving anything like a Porsche 911. - Mike

Well the RX8 guys will say that the legacy is a boxy family car. Meh. Be happy with what you have! mike, not sure how many bags you and your friend will be packing. My parents are able to pack almost a week's worth of stuff into their Miata! And my mom's a pack rat. I cannot believe a Z's trunk is worse than a miata's.

Do you want to grow up or not? It's really that simple. I do agree with the comment somewhere above that chicks may take you more seriously with the GT. They will THINK you are mature and stable and not enjoying whatever comes along for a short while. Dhyana

[quote name='Dhyana']Do you want to grow up or not? It's really that simple. I do agree with the comment somewhere above that chicks may take you more seriously with the GT. They will THINK you are mature and stable and not enjoying whatever comes along for a short while. Dhyana[/quote] That may be true. But it also shows one knows how to pick a product that fills their needs and responsible priorities, while still being a fun, and high-value product. Being responsible doesn't neccesitate giving up on fun. I'd say the legacy/OB shows that their owner knows "what's up." without being a fad follower, as Dhyana pointed out.

Archived