LegacyGT.com

2008 Spec B, part out? sell whole? Need some guidance

Do you have any pics?

I'll take some this weekend and attach to 1st post. This is a "for sale" thread per-se but I might make one soon. I got some good advice between this topic and the one I posted in the tri-state forum too.

I'll take some this weekend and attach to 1st post. This is a "for sale" thread per-se but I might make one soon. I got some good advice between this topic and the one I posted in the tri-state forum too.

I see that! It's a nice car, even a bit crunched up. Seems like there are other people in line, I'll take my ticket for now but I'm interested to see where this goes. Six speed swap has been a dream of mine for well over a decade now. I feel it coming sooooometime. Or I'll find a mint Spec B :wub:

I see that! It's a nice car, even a bit crunched up. Seems like there are other people in line, I'll take my ticket for now but I'm interested to see where this goes. Six speed swap has been a dream of mine for well over a decade now. I feel it coming sooooometime. Or I'll find a mint Spec B :wub:

I'm not really actively working with anyone right now so feel free to shoot me a pm. There is definitely interest from a good chunk of people but seeing if I can do something local first of course.

• 1 year later...

Bumping this up... Somehow its already been 3 years since I first starting poking around selling it.  Still in my driveway in the exact same spot.  If anyone has any interest please shoot me a message!  I'm going to be posting this in the Northeast Subaru club facebook page too.  My wife is getting tired of looking at it and I'm obviously never goign to be fixing it up myself :(

My 08, I got into a fender bender, needed a new rack, new headlight all subframe for rad, rad, etc, I assemble it all got lucky they damaged my hood on delivery(it wasn't OEM important later!).  SAVE 500!.... Pay for a bumper & paint think it was under $500 sill haven't put it on thank god.....So get the hood painted and they install it, its a steel hood /w scoop for a spec/gt....When I pick it up I did a piss poor job tacking the apron or the main support to the bottom of radiator and the top bar another shitty tack on one side but its held in by two bolts, they warned me that they recommend I get it properly repaired as the hood my fly up, I was like BS this guy doesnt know the inner workings of Subaru body work (but I MR SUBRU DOES)... SO fast forward a few weeks later I just gas up, the bumper isn't on, head for the interstate, saw a JA Honda flick the button in the center console to sport # I have VF-52! Idk how fast it was next thing I know HOOD flies up smashes windshield bends over the top slams my sunroof(BECAUSE IT WASN'T A OEM ALUMINUM HOOD, IT WOULD HAVE NEVER CRACKED MY SUNROOF!) I learned that all scooped hoods are AL.  So I pull off Im like f*************, i found a strap tied it down drove home , no insurance called, NO COPS, IM SAFE!  Now what, I JUST GOT a new  rack for a 1000 installed, Safelite wants over 1k for the sunroof...

Luckily I also had a wrecked 2007 Spec B front end damage that was dying to get rid of, read the FSM its 4 bolts for the sunroof glass, pop out the 07 pop it in the 08, moment of truth I splash with water NO LEAKS, call safelite $500 W/E, great subaru parts place in the middle of nowhere PA THEY HAVE EVERYTHING, found a black(thought gray hood) $200...

Boom after my hood trashing my car I spent less than my 750 deductible fixing my car granted the hood is held on by a cable but I have no garage to work in, and i need to install my brand new bumper...I've spent a lot on this car been told to sell the POS by everyone I KNOW, I drove by myself after  my buddy ditched me, drove up  in the beginning  of the panemic from NJ to CT to get this car, got pulled over by NYPD lol, took more than 18 hours....

KEEEP IT

Anyone who wants or cares, I have pics of the before, the damage and how she sits now, I have an invidia catback, I  tatrix my bad boy, it gets about 300+ at the wheels 

On 2/10/2023 at 3:18 PM, Rusty9 said:

Need that VBG. How are the screens? Mine died a few years ago. No luck contacting Losee, other than his linked in for Dover Flexo Electronics.

Screens were working fine last I used the car of course.  There was a bit of... flaking?  I guess is the best way to describe it, on the left side of the panel that was superficial but not bad at all.  I can probably pull it if you want it.  Trying to sell the car as a whole right now but it depends.

On 2/10/2023 at 8:36 PM, phish27134 said:

My 08, I got into a fender bender, needed a new rack, new headlight all subframe for rad, rad, etc, I assemble it all got lucky they damaged my hood on delivery(it wasn't OEM important later!).  SAVE 500!.... Pay for a bumper & paint think it was under $500 sill haven't put it on thank god.....So get the hood painted and they install it, its a steel hood /w scoop for a spec/gt....When I pick it up I did a piss poor job tacking the apron or the main support to the bottom of radiator and the top bar another shitty tack on one side but its held in by two bolts, they warned me that they recommend I get it properly repaired as the hood my fly up, I was like BS this guy doesnt know the inner workings of Subaru body work (but I MR SUBRU DOES)... SO fast forward a few weeks later I just gas up, the bumper isn't on, head for the interstate, saw a JA Honda flick the button in the center console to sport # I have VF-52! Idk how fast it was next thing I know HOOD flies up smashes windshield bends over the top slams my sunroof(BECAUSE IT WASN'T A OEM ALUMINUM HOOD, IT WOULD HAVE NEVER CRACKED MY SUNROOF!) I learned that all scooped hoods are AL.  So I pull off Im like f*************, i found a strap tied it down drove home , no insurance called, NO COPS, IM SAFE!  Now what, I JUST GOT a new  rack for a 1000 installed, Safelite wants over 1k for the sunroof...

Luckily I also had a wrecked 2007 Spec B front end damage that was dying to get rid of, read the FSM its 4 bolts for the sunroof glass, pop out the 07 pop it in the 08, moment of truth I splash with water NO LEAKS, call safelite $500 W/E, great subaru parts place in the middle of nowhere PA THEY HAVE EVERYTHING, found a black(thought gray hood) $200...

Boom after my hood trashing my car I spent less than my 750 deductible fixing my car granted the hood is held on by a cable but I have no garage to work in, and i need to install my brand new bumper...I've spent a lot on this car been told to sell the POS by everyone I KNOW, I drove by myself after  my buddy ditched me, drove up  in the beginning  of the panemic from NJ to CT to get this car, got pulled over by NYPD lol, took more than 18 hours....

KEEEP IT

Anyone who wants or cares, I have pics of the before, the damage and how she sits now, I have an invidia catback, I  tatrix my bad boy, it gets about 300+ at the wheels 

I just cant.  I dont have the disposable income to even consider fixing the car up unfortunately.  Been doing a lot of projects around the house, I have 2 kids and am currently working on an office and home gym in my garage haha.  I need someone to help fund my other project by buying the car haha.

2 hours ago, mmmmspecb said:

Screens were working fine last I used the car of course.  There was a bit of... flaking?  I guess is the best way to describe it, on the left side of the panel that was superficial but not bad at all.  I can probably pull it if you want it.  Trying to sell the car as a whole right now but it depends.

I understand. If you do wind up parting out or going another direction with the car, just keep me in mind for that gauge 😃

• 2 months later...

Probably going to post the car in classifieds this week.  Its doing no good in the driveway.  Will post on the NE subaru FB group too.  Gotta find the right buyer for sure.  I miss driving this damn car :(.  My Kia k5 is so damn boring haha.

• 8 months later...

bumping this again... for maybe more updated opinions.  If anyone has interest, PM me.  Still not parting out.  I think its finally time to officially put some effort into moving it.  Current lease is up and I'd love to put money toward something fun.

I’d suggest posting your location and pictures. I’ve stripped and sold one of these in the past. You have to put in SOME effort, but I got everything I needed from mine. I’d buy it depending on price, location, condition 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BoozeRS05 said:

I’d suggest posting your location and pictures. I’ve stripped and sold one of these in the past. You have to put in SOME effort, but I got everything I needed from mine. I’d buy it depending on price, location, condition 

Yea for sure.  I had pictures posted up but they dropped for some reason.  I'll see if I can get some posted up again shortly.  Its covered in snow right now but I have some from last year.  Condition is mostly covered in my first few posts and once you see pics it makes it clearer of course.

Location is South NJ. 

10 minutes ago, BoozeRS05 said:

I can see pics now, but you can do better than that. Get some interior pics, undercarriage, rear arches, engine bay, etc.. I’m headed to NYC in two weeks, maybe I’ll scoop it up on my way home

Yep, of course.  These were just existing photos I had on hand from when weather was nice a few years back.  Its covered in snow right now but I can clean it up to get some new pics.  I'll PM you back.

GLWS!

Kinda too bad about the long delay in sales tho. 6 years post accident the tires are probably trash and rubber and brake parts etc... don't fare well sitting that long!

If @BoozeRS05 doesn't go for the whole car pickup, I tend to agree with the general consensus that a part out will net you the best value overall...

Long block with good verified compression and not super high kms go for a few grand, as do 6MT drivelines... I would guess these days most looking at even a spec b that old wouldn't be too keen to deal with all the body parts and repainting etc.... but who knows.

I do know that a reasonable mileage '08 Spec B sold near me lately for ~$8000 CAD, so like $6K USD?? And that was a car with no damage....

I'd certainly drive that far to snag a 6MT driveline, but there are already dibs out there on it...

Edited by KZJonny
just shit typing

29 minutes ago, KZJonny said:

GLWS!

Kinda too bad about the long delay in sales tho. 6 years post acciden the tires are probably trash and rubber and brake parts etc... don't far well sitting that long!

If @BoozeRS05 doesn't go for the whole car pickup, I tend to agree with the general consensus that a part out will net you the best value overall...

Long block with good verified compression and not super high kms go for a few grand, as do 6MT drivelines... I would guess these days most looking at even a spec b that old wouldn't be too keen to deal with all the body parts and repainting etc.... but who know.

I do know that a reasonably mileage '08 Spec B sold near me lately for ~$8000 CAD, so like $6K USD?? And that was a car with no damage....

I'd certainly drive that far to snag a 6MT driveline, but there are already dibs out there on it...

Feel free to send me a PM.  08s are of course more valuable than 06's, but that being said my car is special case being damaged and a salvage title.   And yea, I would have preferred to take care of this years ago but ya but unfortunately it never happened :(

I will definitely remember the thread anyway and keep an eye on it.

Not the time of year to be roadtripping for parts! ;)  And I don't really know how well the Yaris I picked up as my current winter beater would far with a 6MT in the back. Hah!

I also suspect that while a Spec B 6MT is on my list of 'wants', it gets superceded by a bunch of very spendy things coming my way.

Datsun wants a V6 maybe..... 😜

6 minutes ago, KZJonny said:

I will definitely remember the thread anyway and keep an eye on it.

Not the time of year to be roadtripping for parts! ;)  And I don't really know how well the Yaris I picked up as my current winter beater would far with a 6MT in the back. Hah!

I also suspect that while a Spec B 6MT is on my list of 'wants', it gets superceded by a bunch of very spendy things coming my way.

Datsun wants a V6 maybe..... 😜

No worries.  not that this sub gets tons of action these days, I will post up an actual FS thread this week.  Keep an eye out.