LegacyGT.com

Kstech intake sucking in water.

So basically what the title cars. After getting a car wash with an underbody spray my car would feel like it ran into a wall after about 15psi. Then the next day it was fine like nothing happened.

Today it’s a rainy day. Driving my car around it started doing it again. Little bit of boost then boom an invisible wall hits me lol.

I get home looked at a few posts of people having the same problem with cai and water getting to the filter. Sure enough I go outside pull the maf and it’s soaked.

I still have the fender splash guards on. Anyone else have this problem before? Any way to fix it? I’m gonna assume if it keeps getting wet it’s gonna destroy the sensor and who knows what else.

http://www.kstech.biz/legacy-gt-05-09/?sort=featured&page=1

Yeah, I can see why it would.

Sorry, but I think you already know to put the OEM set up back in the car. It's good till 400AWHP.

Are you above that power level ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Not yet lol but who knows after e85, ewg, killer b headers.

After adding my hta68 10cm my tuner told me the stock airbox was limiting me. Added one of these on and picked up 20hp. I was only making 305 on 21lb. Maybe it was just the oem filter that was limiting me and not the airbox itself.

I'm just thinking about the shape of the OEM box and how it allows water to drain. This filter and tube are not great for water dissipation.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Buy a prefilter that fits over the filter. I had to do that with my grimspeed intake. Living in the PNW, my filter would get soaked and my afr trims would be all over the place. It took me a very long time to narrow it to the filter being water logged. After putting on the pre filter last year I haven't had the issue again.

I suppose a prefilter is an option. I looked it up and looks like aem makes one which is the same filter the kstech uses.

Any idea if it reduced flow? Well I assume it would at a point but I mean where the car was running richer because of the little more restriction? Or would that only matter if I was at the border limit of the flow of the filter to begin with?

I didn't notice a single difference in flow with the pre-filter installed. I still hit the same MAF voltages as I always have. I imagine if you're using every last millivolt of your MAF it might make a difference but that probably only happens with much larger turbos where most people are speed density anyways