LegacyGT.com

OEM Navigation - "I Agree"

finse

I may have a solution for everyone on this thread that is annoyed by the behavior of the NAV system at startup. I did some digging on the web and found this product being sold for the Prius. http://coastaletech.com/nav_kit.htm. It appears to do exactly what we're looking for. The Prius uses a Kenwood NAV but I am unclear if this kit will work on the Subaru NAV. I emailed the company to inquire this afternoon. I'll cc this thread on their response.

Awesome! The site even advertises a blue tooth phone adaptor. :icon_bigg:icon_bigg:icon_bigg Keep us up to date on what the company has to say.

I may have a solution for everyone on this thread that is annoyed by the behavior of the NAV system at startup. I did some digging on the web and found this product being sold for the Prius. http://coastaletech.com/nav_kit.htm. It appears to do exactly what we're looking for. The Prius uses a Kenwood NAV but I am unclear if this kit will work on the Subaru NAV. I emailed the company to inquire this afternoon. I'll cc this thread on their response.

bump... Any news from coastaltech.com on this?

Our TomTom doesn't have any kind of lawyer-speak on startup. Just goes straight to the map.

Great nav system, by the way. Unfortunately, it's SLIGHTLY too large to fit in the Legacy's cubby, or I would hard-mount one in there.

I know there's an "easter egg" for the Prius that allows you to override that, and some other stuff. Maybe there's something hidden in the Subie?

Edit: should have read the earlier post, but yeah, maybe there's something like that out there.

I work at a company developing in-car navigation. Yes, there is a little legality involved in having you press the "I agree" button. Mostly, it is killing time while the system boots up and aquires a GPS fix. This takes a little time (30 sec to a few minutes depending on the system and how long ago you last had a GPS fix), and it isdesigned to distract you from staring a blank screen that isn't tracking where you are going.

• 3 months later...
My Lowrance I-way either locks the screen until you are stationary...or you can unlock and freely use it but there is an EULA that you must agree to at the begining (every time you turn it on) ! And you must tap on it quite a few times before it goes away (the touch screen is otherwise very responsive)

Hi All,

Sorry for the lag on this. I actually only resolved this question last week though. I talked a friend with a Prius w/NAV into buying one of these things and to let me try it on my OB XT NAV before I installed it for him in his Prius (boy was that pain in the A$$).

The short story is that the connectors are incompatible with the Subaru/Kenwood NAV unit so I couldn't test it. I even went down to an electrical supply house to see if I could build some adapters, but the rep there said the connectors on the Kenwood NAV are custom and only sold to OEMs.

I'm investigating some other Nav workarounds that could possibly be done. I'll update this thread if I'm successful.

-Erik

• 1 month later...
Hi All,

Sorry for the lag on this. I actually only resolved this question last week though. I talked a friend with a Prius w/NAV into buying one of these things and to let me try it on my OB XT NAV before I installed it for him in his Prius (boy was that pain in the A$$).

The short story is that the connectors are incompatible with the Subaru/Kenwood NAV unit so I couldn't test it. I even went down to an electrical supply house to see if I could build some adapters, but the rep there said the connectors on the Kenwood NAV are custom and only sold to OEMs.

I'm investigating some other Nav workarounds that could possibly be done. I'll update this thread if I'm successful.

-Erik

Sorry to here that... Hiting the "agree" button everytime I get in the car drives me nuts.

Strange, Our navigation systems here ( OEM ) don't have such "agree" functions. They do , however, turn off the TV when your car is moving. There is a way around that though , and that is to dispose of the e-brake sensor.

Yeah, I hate that I have to turn the key every time I get in my car to start it... Also the fact that I have to buckle my own seat belt bothers me a LOT!

It is just one more thing you do when you get in the car, you will get used to it...

:lol: :golfclap:

Archived