LegacyGT.com

HELP! 2015 Legacy, passenger floor gets wet under my weather tech mat after rain!

Can’t figure this out. Good amount of water under the mat, never on top, after rainfall. I’ve already blown out the ac drain tube multiple times. I pulled apart the glove box area recently and still can’t figure out where it’s coming from. Cabin filter is never wet. All carpet in pass side is wet with puddles at some times. Wet under pass seat too. Any help would be appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can’t figure this out. Good amount of water under the mat, never on top, after rainfall. I’ve already blown out the ac drain tube multiple times. I pulled apart the glove box area recently and still can’t figure out where it’s coming from. Cabin filter is never wet. All carpet in pass side is wet with puddles at some times. Wet under pass seat too. Any help would be appreciated!

Did you blow out the water drains in the sun roof area? They can get plugged up..

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

I don’t have a sunroof. I did pull apart the cowl inside the engine and it was dry in there. I took an air gun to that whole area including the drains as well. It’s such a strange issue, got any other ideas guys? Are their certain mechanics that specify in these things? I live in CT if anyone knows someone or wants to help! Thanks everyone

I don’t have a sunroof. I did pull apart the cowl inside the engine and it was dry in there. I took an air gun to that whole area including the drains as well. It’s such a strange issue, got any other ideas guys? Are their certain mechanics that specify in these things? I live in CT if anyone knows someone or wants to help! Thanks everyone

I also think there are drains where our roof rail is.. Might just have to give your local subie dealer a call..

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

I had this issue on my car. It's definitely top down as when I ran my car through a car wash with the underbody option, it doesn't get wet. My assumption is one of the drains is clogged, but I could never figure out which one.

I had something similar on my 5th gen. I had a premium model, no sunroof. After torrential downpour one day I got in the car and it was super humid. After a bit I noticed a large puddle of water on the passenger front floor liner (s/o weathertech for catching it all lol). It was late at night, so I dumped it out and shined my flashlight around and couldn't figure anything out. It was passenger front floorboard only.

Went to my parents house that weekend, my dad has a much larger collection of tools and knickknacks and I removed the glove box assembly, the blower motor, basically everything I could get to under the dashboard, I removed and inspected. Could not find anything at all. Inspected the A-pillar, inspected the windshield seal, everything. Could not find anything. I even got the pressure washer out and soaked allllll the way around the car at every angle just trying to figure something out...with no luck.

3 months went by and I had chalked it up as a freak but worrisome one-time incident. I was going through the automatic carwash when I heard water, looked at the passenger floor liner, and water was pooling in. It was coming from back behind the glove box, straight down, almost dripping. It was so weird. Sopped it all up and went back the next day, but I took out the glove box and under dash assembly so I could see. Same thing, waterfall from behind the blower motor assembly. I was baffled. Again, went to parents house and ripped everything out, soaked everything with the pressure washer, and came up empty.

I have absolutely no idea how it was getting in, but I was worried about going through winter with water getting in up under the dash board. The last thing I wanted was water freezing up back there and messing things up electronically or with the airbag. That, along with the fact that I was within 2 years of needing a new clutch and new tires, I cut my losses, disclosed the water issue, sold it, and bought a 6th gen.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to be as informative as possible. My issue was water ONLY on the passenger front floor, nowhere else.

Literally yesterday, I was scrolling facebook and saw this post in my local subaru group:

"A few months ago I posted about our 07 outback having a problem with the passenger side front footwell getting wet. Well, I finally took it apart and identified what was causing it. The water was coming down the windshield under the plastic trim where the wipers park and then instead of running to either side and going down the firewall drains, it was dripping into the fresh air intake for the HVAC system. The metal above the vent had rusted and was sort of like a funnel directing all the water into the vent. I cleaned the metal up and coated everything with JB Weld to stop the rust and I added a bit a aluminum flashing to direct the water away from the HVAC vent. Problem solved."

I'll try to attach the pictures he took, but, after reading this, this sounds EXACTLY like what I was experiencing in my 2011.

Update: Won't let me post pictures that the guy posted on facebook. PM me your email address and I'd be happy to send them over to you!

Edited by rgeo13

with AC on and when you are parked for 10 -15 min so you see water under your car when you leave your parking spot? Did you buy car new? Did it have any accidents?

This most likely is the issue, look under the car where the passenger side foot well is, Not sure about this Gen but 4th Gen Legacy's have a short black tube that can get plugged, just blow it out, a air compressor works well for this.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here