LegacyGT.com

Brake Fluid Change Question

is it possible to remove all the old fluid from the master cylinder reservoir? It seems there is a divider that I can't get the fluid out from.

I'm trying to use the gravity drain method, but it seems that old fluid behind the reservoir isn't budging. I even have my wife come out and pump the brake a couple times while I opened and closed the bleeder screw.

Here's a cross post from Reddit:

is it possible to remove all the old fluid from the master cylinder reservoir? It seems there is a divider that I can't get the fluid out from.

I'm trying to use the gravity drain method, but it seems that old fluid behind the reservoir isn't budging. I even have my wife come out and pump the brake a couple times while I opened and closed the bleeder screw.

Here's a cross post from Reddit:

You might get a Vacuum Brake bleed kit from Harbor Freight or Auto Parts store and bleed your brake that way. Basically you hand pump the pressure up and open the bleeder and it pulls out the fluid from the resevoir.. Just make sure you keep your reservoir full so no air enters yhe system.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

You might get a Vacuum Brake bleed kit from Harbor Freight or Auto Parts store and bleed your brake that way. Basically you hand pump the pressure up and open the bleeder and it pulls out the fluid from the resevoir.. Just make sure you keep your reservoir full so no air enters yhe system.

Thanks for the input! The gravity drain worked great apart from being unable to aspirate the older fluid from behind the divider. I work in healthcare and was able to use a drain bag we use for certain surgical drains. Worked like a charm. Here's the exact one I used. (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013TLIC1U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_pMBpFbCMH1Q8B)

From what I'm reading the separated reservoir is part of the dual braking system as a second reservoir that is filled from the front reservoir. It's part of a redundant system so the whole system doesn't lose pressure That said still haven't seen anywhere that it can be manually drained,apart from unhooking the brake lines from the master cylinder. Which I'm not messing with to just change the fluid.

That is your best option ^

Or just bleed the brakes with someone in the car until fresh fluid comes out at each wheel.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here