LegacyGT.com

VF52 swap question

Don't forget that when you change the turbo models ie vf40 <-> vf52, you HAVE to get a tune or etune, so keep that in mind! Don't just change parts then jump in and drive, have the tune ready before you start it up. Talk to cryo about an etune, costs like 150 or something like that, and he always has specials offering 10% off.

Also make sure to inspect a used turbo for shaft play, sometimes its cheaper to just get your old busted turbo rebuilt with a better cartridge, costs the about the same and you get a superior product, which is new.

Thanks for the reply. I've already started modding it a little, but my turbo dying last week has amped things up a little.

It already has an Invidia catless downpipe and I've ordered the accompanying catback and the GS air intake box. Now it looks like I also need a new up-pipe since I think the cat is probably deteriorating.

I was going to replace it eventually anyway, but it seems now I don't have much choice.

Thanks again for the advice!

$$$

You re setup doesn't really warrant aftermarket air intake, kind of a waste of money. IMO the first mods you do are

1- an etune this will get you gains on a stock application, and is required whenever you mod something, and by something I mean anything! So do your mods in batches, piece by piece will get annoying having to tune for every little mod.

2- uppipe(if you have a catted uppipe), probably the most important, because shrapnel from the cat will take out your turbo, which may be the case for you! ALWAYS run catless uppipe!

A lot of people also mod the egt in the uppipe, ie remove it.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/unofficial-05-06-lgt-2-2k-5w-resistor-up-pipe-131488.html

3- 3" Downpipe

4- 3port EBCS, to maximize efficiency of your turbo and tune these are a must.

5- tmic bulletproof kit, upgraded tmic or a fmic

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/bulletproof-tmic-mod-lgt-08-wrx-158870.html

IMO this is the basic groundwork for modding, you can stop before the tmic but those are the basics. Anything after that, its best to have a real game plan.

These guidelines have been pretty tried and true for a while now, some things may have changed but this is the general blueprint most people on the forum follow. Lots of great info, and puts things in a proper perspective.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/turboi-wiki-twist-178684.html

Edited by Tehnation

My 06 build will be getting the VF52 I picked up recently... Parts from my 07 will make their way over to the 06 to support. No cat up pipe, full Invidia exhaust, Perrin TMIC... the only thing in question is a EBCS. I haven't decided on if I want/need to get one yet. I'll probably be keeping it around 19 PSI which is what I currently run on my 07 VF46 setup and that doesn't have any issues.

My 06 build will be getting the VF52 I picked up recently... Parts from my 07 will make their way over to the 06 to support. No cat up pipe, full Invidia exhaust, Perrin TMIC... the only thing in question is a EBCS. I haven't decided on if I want/need to get one yet. I'll probably be keeping it around 19 PSI which is what I currently run on my 07 VF46 setup and that doesn't have any issues.

As said previously, save yourself the trouble of re-tune after your tune if you have massive boost creep etc. The 3-port ebcs smoothes out pull and release. It’s not that expensive once you’re in it.

As said previously, save yourself the trouble of re-tune after your tune if you have massive boost creep etc. The 3-port ebcs smoothes out pull and release. It’s not that expensive once you’re in it.

I've been running my 19lb boost curve with stock solenoid setup since back in 2012, with tuning help from John, "Legend" and those tables were never touched when I built my forged short block and brought it in for a "protune" by tuningalliance at Enhanced Street Performance in MA. He left the boost curve and all the WG tables alone since I had honed that in so well with John's help. All he did was fix my excessive fueling and iron out my spark table. Cars been like that since May of 2013, and has probably 90k of DDing on that build.

Never had boost creep, Never had control issues, so unless the VF46 is that incapable compared to the VF52 then I probably wont NEED a 3-port. I'll see how it goes when I get the build done, I'm in no rush, as well as if it needs it then I'll get one, but I hate wasteful spending.

I've been running my 19lb boost curve with stock solenoid setup since back in 2012, with tuning help from John, "Legend" and those tables were never touched when I built my forged short block and brought it in for a "protune" by tuningalliance at Enhanced Street Performance in MA. He left the boost curve and all the WG tables alone since I had honed that in so well with John's help. All he did was fix my excessive fueling and iron out my spark table. Cars been like that since May of 2013, and has probably 90k of DDing on that build.

Never had boost creep, Never had control issues, so unless the VF46 is that incapable compared to the VF52 then I probably wont NEED a 3-port. I'll see how it goes when I get the build done, I'm in no rush, as well as if it needs it then I'll get one, but I hate wasteful spending.

Well now that that's been said. My 05 wagon has been on the stock set up since the vf52 went on in 2011.

Mike did suggest he install a EBC on the 09 Spec B. He did that back years ago, with the last generic solenoid he had. My Spec still has the OEM turbo.

I think the generic unit came out of McMaster-Carr catalog.

IMG_1309.JPG.13761b62d7d11f70f6520cc2589e7c3a.JPG

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 1 month later...