LegacyGT.com

Anyone actually change their heater core?

To get the beam out you have to remove the 2 bolts on both ends, the 2 bolts holding up the steering wheel from the bottom, the single bolts on both sides of the center console pillars. Then you have to remove alllll the popits holding the wires to it, there are a LOT, use a popit tool. Plus you have to remove the bolts on the fuse box as well!

I wish I would have taken pictures of all these wires, now its a mess. In my frustration my alter ego came out, his name is Frankie F*@k It..... and we all know how things go when Frankie comes out.... everything is just plain ol f**k it...

Do I have to remove the blower as well??? this damn thing won't come out.

So god damn hot outside, and I can't open the windows in the car...... i'm done for today, Frankie might do something stupid.

Edited by Tehnation

Let me know if this is what you're talking about.

[ATTACH]285969[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]285970[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]285971[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]285972[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]285973[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]285974[/ATTACH]

I'm thinking that third photo is the area. Not much there but the wire clip...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

To get the beam out you have to remove the 2 bolts on both ends, the 2 bolts holding up the steering wheel from the bottom, the single bolts on both sides of the center console pillars. Then you have to remove alllll the popits holding the wires to it, there are a LOT, use a popit tool.

I wish I would have taken pictures of all these wires, now its a mess. In my frustration my alter ego came out, his name is Frankie F*@k It..... and we all know how things go when Frankie comes out.... everything is just plain ol f**k it...

Do I have to remove the blower as well??? this damn thing won't come out.

So god damn hot outside, and I can't open the windows in the car...... i'm done for today, Frankie might do something stupid.

The blower motor is three bolts from the bottom and the wire connection. There may be one more thing...but its been years since I removed one.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Hey, I just remembered, when my wagon makes the rattle at the bottom of the A pillar, if I push up on the headliner above the cup holders and arm rest, the rattle stops.

I only hear it rattle when she's in the car. I guess the radio is to loud when she's not in the passenger seat.

AND FRANKIE PREVAILS!!!!

Basically he said **** the ac lines and pulled them. I thought the heater pipe lines in the engine bay were a junction, but the hoses are directly connected to the heater core. So i just pulled everything in the engine bay, and the blower motor for good measure. And it's out. I have no idea how anyone is supposed to pull the heater core without messing with the ac lines... pfm i guess. Frankie wasn't interested.

you have to pull off all the popits and disconnect all the plugs attached to the main unit.

20200728_161554.thumb.jpg.2022b45917169f90e0a43959ef8f5c77.jpg

20200728_161535.thumb.jpg.bcfb0cb7dee6fcf12f0792077039d3b2.jpg

20200728_161529.thumb.jpg.2942084585b05f1252be19e7b158cec0.jpg

20200728_161522.thumb.jpg.4f849c2b672aba74ee7c30c98bc8b84c.jpg

20200728_161517.thumb.jpg.e7dbcb429ee087c193e1738c91a6b073.jpg

actually i spoke to soon... this sucker is in there. I only managed to pull it out like 1/2 an inch.... why is everything so complicated with this lol.. ok now i'm done for the day, i'm about to do something stupid again....

I lied lol, got it out, had to just use pure grit and man strength.... put the main unit back in and reconnected the ac and heater hoses. Will test it tomorrow to see if the new one leaks before redoing all this, ac system still had pressure when I pulled the line even after like 4-5 years of sitting and ac oil crap is oozing everywhere so I am assuming that works. Productive day! Next time on pita subaru I will be reassembling everything. I won't be taking any pictures because you pretty much undo everything you did.

If anyone wants any pictures of something let me know before my next adventure! Cause I am itching to drive this thing.

20200728_170201.thumb.jpg.53304e22b342cf0b808c3333b9973752.jpg

20200728_170121.thumb.jpg.18e44dd494bc7b185d828b6235a22a9f.jpg

Edited by Tehnation

to amazon.... time to buy a vacuum pump and some cheap gauges.... anyone know the procedure for putting ac system under vacuum and recharging?

Yeah, pay the man who does this every day. I had both cars AC serviced by the trust mechanic two years ago. They both work great in the current weather.

They charged me $60 each. Well worth it.

Thats how you pull the heater core folks!

That looks like more work then I'd be up for. You just moved up to Subaru God status.

already ordered a pump and gauge for 100 bucks, normally I would use my friends pump and gauges and watch him do it but he moved to far away. It's not complicated, I just have to read up to find out if I pull vacuum on the lp or hp, can't remember, maybe both. Either way, I would rather spend 100 bucks and be able to do it whenever I want. I don't have a trusted mechanic, that's an oxymoron to me, trusted and mechanic?! Hvac is easy, and like I said before I would much rather invest in the tools and equipment and learn myself than pay someone else to do it. I'm an engineer... I should be able to figure it out. A cars hvac isn't any different from a fridge or house. Edited by Tehnation

Only if I can put it back together LOL!!!

You are Engineer, of course you can...;)

I have a good friend who was an Engineer at Pratt & Whitney.. you know Jet engines. I was amazed when I went over to his house once and saw the dash of his 2001 Audi S8 all apart laying on the front seat, his laptop hooked up and he was writing code to get it to work. He was putting a European Nav unit in it because it had more features then the USDM car. The car worked well when he got it all back together.

Give this man a cookie...once the dash is back in. If the heat persists, it'll be a rough day when you have to test the HVAC to make sure it blows hot properly once it is all back together.

Me and a handful of my friends are engineers and in into cars...the stupid projects we get ourselves into (out of a very small "want to have", not a "need to have") makes me smile!

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild