LegacyGT.com

Factory reverse camera into aftermarket headunit

I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out how this is done.

I have a factory nav unit with the molex camera connector, an aftermarket headunit with an RCA camera input and a reverse signal wire, and I think I have a factory reverse camera.

The reason I say I think it's a factory camera is because it appears to be installed in a proper mounting point above the licence plate to the left of the boot handle (it's a wagon). When I pulled the nav unit out I can see the molex camera connector goes very deep into the dash and it isn't a small little pigtail adaptor for an aftermarket RCA camera. It's also cable-tied to another harness which is a very factory thing to do and surely not something an aftermarket installer would bother doing.

So with that in mind, I'm trying to figure out how to connect that molex camera connector to my aftermarket headunit.

I know I need an adaptor but I can't find anyone who makes one. The only harnesses I can find are for going the other way around - an aftermarket RCA camera into the factory nav molex connector.

The next part is the bit I'm confused on - the reverse signal wire for the headunit. Does the headunit need this so it knows to switch to the camera? And is that signal wire part of the molex camera connector? I don't see how else the factory nav would have that signal unless it's part of that molex connector so it must be.

So, is it as simple as finding a harness to connect it straight up? I'm not opposed to making one myself if needed, I just need to be sure.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

I can't help on the connectors. Maybe reach out to svxdc and see if he can make you something. He's the king of subaru audio it seems like.

In the US, a factory reverse camera was not an option. AFAIK it wasn't an option anywhere. It could be specific to NZ or oceania if laws were in place for that. And if so I want one lol. I love oem fit and finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Further evidence of my wacky situation. This is the back of the camera behind the rear door plastic covers. As you can see the actual camera has a 4-pin molex connector, not an RCA. It must be OEM, right?dfb3229c253552c9b8a4456afe7f5b8d.jpg

So I need to connect this pinout to my aftermarket headunit with RCA and reverse signal.

yeah..... backup camera? lucky! as much as I like old school, I've gotten too used to the things.... would be sweet to pipe one into the factory Nav system but sounds like in the US the software wouldn't allow a video feed at all, eh

yeah..... backup camera? lucky! as much as I like old school, I've gotten too used to the things.... would be sweet to pipe one into the factory Nav system but sounds like in the US the software wouldn't allow a video feed at all, eh
It IS piped into the factory nav. That's my problem. I'm trying to plug it into my aftermarket headunit instead so I can delete the factory nav.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk