LegacyGT.com

Overheating, coolant spewing from radiator cap

I have a legacy that overheats when it warms up. However there are no leaks from the system. When I drive it, it will overheat but the only leak I see is from the radiator cap which will steam out. I have attempted to bleed the system because there is gurgling but each time i try to bleed when it gets warm the coolant will start just sloshing up and out of the funnel I use. Idk if its a head gasket the fluids are all clean and there is no white clouds from the exhaust. It also seems as if the higher hose is pressurized. Any suggestions?

I would check the thermostat as well but pressurized upper hose and coolant being pushed back out does indeed sound like an internal head gasket leak. The combustion fumes leak their way into the coolant system and push all the fluid out at which point you begin to overheat as the coolant system pressurizes with those combustion fumes. There are a few tricks to get around it in a pinch but they arent always recommended. Also a fore sure way to tell is a coolant test kit. You can buy ones specifically for head gaskets and it basically tests if there are any combustion contaminants in the coolant

Thanks i have a feeling it may be head gasket bc i have 1 cylinder that misfires. Thermostat is new and the fans do turn on. I'm kind of an amateur at fixing car parts and dont really have the money for a repair job. Should I attempt to try and fix it myself? Or should I get a head gasket fixer fluid and try that

I've honestly never send a head gasket sealant that works long term. If your in a pinch a lot of people have driller holes in the thermostat to allow the air pockets to pass through and then just carry like 2 gallons of water at all times just in case. Might get you buy but ultimately the engine will have to come out and be repaired. I think an amateur car guy could pull the engine but maybe not tear into the head gasket job? Idk if itll save ya some cash or not but pulling an engine for a seasoned car guy on subarus at least takes about 45 mins to an hour

I tried blue devil recently on my wife’s 09 Malibu. It was overheating and filling the crankcase full of coolant within 30 miles and I was hoping it was a headgasket but deep down I knew it was the notorious porous block. I pulled the head and checked the surfaces which all squared out and the headgasket which obviously wasn’t blown and replaced it and had the head surfaced anyways. Anyhoo, 30 miles in and it overheated again with the same results. I did the blue devil and followed the instructions and sure as shnaz it stopped drinking coolant. It’s 100% a bandaid fix but it’s worked for about 4,000 miles. I monitor it every few days knowing that ultimately I’ll have to put a motor in it but for the time being, I’m beyond impressed.

I tried blue devil recently on my wife’s 09 Malibu. It was overheating and filling the crankcase full of coolant within 30 miles and I was hoping it was a headgasket but deep down I knew it was the notorious porous block. I pulled the head and checked the surfaces which all squared out and the headgasket which obviously wasn’t blown and replaced it and had the head surfaced anyways. Anyhoo, 30 miles in and it overheated again with the same results. I did the blue devil and followed the instructions and sure as shnaz it stopped drinking coolant. It’s 100% a bandaid fix but it’s worked for about 4,000 miles. I monitor it every few days knowing that ultimately I’ll have to put a motor in it but for the time being, I’m beyond impressed.

Same basic story with my son's 2004 Chevy 4.3L. Follow the directions.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Are you using a spill proof funnel to burp the air out of the system? I just had this problem on my 2005 EJ25 engine and it was exactly like Dalee said. The pressure built up so high that initially it cracked the top of the radiator. Installed a new radiator thinking that I was in the clear but no. The radiator would fill up, send water over to the overflow, and that would spew all over. Any oily residue in the overflow? I ended up two weekends ago, pulling the heads with the engine in the car. Had complete machine work done including valve/seat grind, surfacing, etc. for around $700. Last weekend, installed Six Star gaskets at $45 each, new intake/exh gaskets, thermostat, and timing belt. She runs great.

I'm using a regular funnel but air keeps finding its way into the cooling system. I bled it once got The heater core working then turned the car off no gurgles . came back the next day and it gurgled after running it a few minutes. The funnel tho is just as great it makes a seal w tape and is super wide. Regardless coolant still will jump out from even the top of the radiator out onto the floor. I already bought a gasket maker will be testing it out soon