LegacyGT.com

New radio solution from the mainland?

I ordered and extra bezel and wiring kit just in case too. I also asked if that TPMS kit is compatible with the factory sensors. Looks like it might be if you can get the ID codes read to enter into the software.

Either way the little external sensors are neat if you don't want to have your tires taken off to have their internal sensors installed. Can be some extra dollars if it messes up your perfect ROADFORCE balance =)

Just a word of advice, pretty much all those android tablets lie about their specs, especially the android version. They usually change it in the settings page and put the right splash screen on but behind the scenes it's still Android 5,6,7. The whole reason I made the double din kit is because I wanted something upgradeable and universal. I have had bad experiences with chinese android tablets so I did a lot of research to find the best android based radio, and if it gets too slow in the future I can replace it. A lot of these units also come underpowered, like old dual core ARM processor and 1GB of ram underpowered.

Point being is, I don't trust their specs and I don't think that the user experience would be that great. I'd be interested in seeing your review of it though.

For the extra $150 I would personally instead buy an amazon fire tablet and a little walmart radio to tuck behind it to power the audio.

Just a word of advice, pretty much all those android tablets lie about their specs, especially the android version. They usually change it in the settings page and put the right splash screen on but behind the scenes it's still Android 5,6,7. The whole reason I made the double din kit is because I wanted something upgradeable and universal. I have had bad experiences with chinese android tablets so I did a lot of research to find the best android based radio, and if it gets too slow in the future I can replace it. A lot of these units also come underpowered, like old dual core ARM processor and 1GB of ram underpowered.

Point being is, I don't trust their specs and I don't think that the user experience would be that great. I'd be interested in seeing your review of it though.

For the extra $150 I would personally instead buy an amazon fire tablet and a little walmart radio to tuck behind it to power the audio.

Is something I wish I new before I bought my Android Unit years ago, it really got slow and having weird issues.

Some more encouraging progress. The radio faceplate is fitted, brackets made, everything fits ok so far. I'm actually driving the car as it is now while I'm finishing up. Unfortunately there is one last part to make, a small adapter for the tab on the vent fins for controlling air direction. Also need to reliably get the faceplate printing better. I've only got one good example so far (shown in picture), all the rest have failed as they came dislodged during printing. So very close to having a kit ready to sell.

IMG_20200826_204123-min.thumb.jpg.90620bef6bd92c102182da2fa78c0213.jpg

Kit is done, just working on improving fitment now. It's tighter than I thought with a full size radio, but with some better instructions and maybe one last bracket redesign I think it'll be ok. Also working on finishing up the rest of my center console so it'll be a little while until I sell the kit. At least a week, maybe more. The first few might be a little rough around the edges as I haven't tested them on anyone else's car. I will provide support though and warranty any parts that need to be adjusted.

• 1 month later...
After some more research, I found someone on AliExpress who was able to install his stock tubes. His design was a one piece tube instead of a two piece. A one piece tube is found on navigation fascias. So if you have a navigation fascia, your tubes will likely fit. For a regular clock fascia/cubby the tubes will need to be modified for sure. The fascias are pretty cheap nowadays if I make a mistake, so I'm just going to cut mine to fit. Should be pretty hard to mess up but still.

Did you have such link for modified tube? Thanks

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

Did you have such link for modified tube? Thanks

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

It depends on which oem fascia you have. If you have the cubby style fascia you have to cut your existing tubes and trim off the part of the flaps for the vent, or if you have navigation style fascia the tubes shouldn't need any modification. See my post on the previous page for a picture explaining why.

For anyone wondering I abandoned selling these kits because they require a bit too much modification for my liking, are way too difficult to print on my small printer, and I have a job now so I don't really need the money. Again I'd be willing to provide files for whoever, and will continue to sell the clock relocation bracket.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi all,

I have the ATOTO S8 Gen2 Premium S8G2114PM head unit which I wish to fit in the dash cubby spot between the AC vents. I have a 2006 legacy 2.5i with the cubby and no nav. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about that?

I think EatingInternet was also working with a (smaller) ATOTO head unit so maybe the mounting for the Chinese version of "double DIN" would be the same. I saw the discussion of the AliExpress 9" dash kit but was wondering if I could use that to mount it and just have the head unit protrude further out of the dash to avoid interference between the 10.1" screen and the 9" surround.

Alternately, the ATOTO S8 comes with(what seems to be a standard) single DIN mounting bracket. Might it just be easiest to shell out the $140 (Including shipping) and buy the AvoJDM single din dash kit?

Hi all,

I have the ATOTO S8 Gen2 Premium S8G2114PM head unit which I wish to fit in the dash cubby spot between the AC vents. I have a 2006 legacy 2.5i with the cubby and no nav. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about that?

I think EatingInternet was also working with a (smaller) ATOTO head unit so maybe the mounting for the Chinese version of "double DIN" would be the same. I saw the discussion of the AliExpress 9" dash kit but was wondering if I could use that to mount it and just have the head unit protrude further out of the dash to avoid interference between the 10.1" screen and the 9" surround.

Alternately, the ATOTO S8 comes with(what seems to be a standard) single DIN mounting bracket. Might it just be easiest to shell out the $140 (Including shipping) and buy the AvoJDM single din dash kit?

I was using a full size double din. It required cutting out some plastic dash supports to make the rear of it fit, as the opening between the plastic in the back is just a little too tight. It also required modifying the vent tubes, the fascia, and 3d printing vent tab adapters a faceplate and some radio brackets. This was all really hard to do and get right, which is why I decided to not sell the kit (not to mention you need a clock relocation). Your best bet is to go with the jdm kit, trust me. I like having my one of a kind kit but it's not worth all the labor.

UNLESS you have factory nav (no cubby/vent modification) and are installing a single din / slim 2 din or Chinese unit already meant to fit into this fascia. It would've been nice if they made two kits but...

Thanks for the response. I'm looking into cases where people used the AVOJDM kit and it seems like It also requires modification to work, although it seems like less work than the extensive 3D printing you did.

I'm primarily trying to make sure that this kit can hold the head unit in in a way that it wouldn't just fly off in a crash and concuss someone, or that it is held securely enough that the mount won't just break itself over time.

https://www.subaruoutback.org/threads/2005-2009-outback-legacy-radio-kit.374193/

https://www.subaruoutback.org/threads/2005-2009-outback-legacy-audio-system-upgrade.380226/#post-4359026

• 1 year later...
On 7/27/2020 at 8:45 PM, EatingInternet said:

Update: I just received my unit yesterday. The throughhole opening is exactly double din sized so a radio would fit PERFECT in this housing, and the mounting location in the car is so much higher up which I think is perfect for safety since you don't have to look down to see your radio. Also my hands won't block my view either.

I think this will be as simple as making a mounting bracket for the radio that somehow attaches to this fascia securely and 3D printing it. I don't know how motivated I will be to do this as I already installed my double din kit, but I'm currently unemployed so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ we'll see. It also appears to use the stock vents, as the mounting tabs for the smaller size vents go much farther out and appear to be the same position as for the oem cubby thingy.

Attached are some pics. Overall quality feels good, haven't compared to oem yet but seems like it's good overall. Chrome is missing on the vent tabs but that's the biggest difference I noted.

IMG_20200727_114045-min.thumb.jpg.3c8a8ea302c98d9e86067b2c83780405.jpg

IMG_20200727_114051-min.thumb.jpg.6e7b5e1b586cf60590bff994f08eb9aa.jpg

IMG_20200727_114101-min.thumb.jpg.3a1b2356f15d2f16eb03e7f20f792726.jpg

Any chance someone got this 3D scanned? Trying all sellers from Aliexpress and Ebay and they all don't ship to me. Was hoping to get it 3D printed. Bought my Legacy with this thing broken