LegacyGT.com

Software Update

The same happened to me. The update bricked my unit. It has been at the dealer since 8/24. They are awaiting a CCU which is on back order. This update process could not have been more mismanaged. On 8/19 at noon I received an e-mail with instructions to perform the update. By 3:00 pm I received another e-mail telling me that the first set of instructions were incorrect. I attempted to perform the update on 8/20 with multiple failed attempts. (I felt like I was back in 1999 with a dial up modem during the entire process.) By 8/21, my unit was bricked and later that afternoon I received an e-mail advising me not to try the update as their have been reported problems. Really! Moral of the story: if I ever receive another e-mail like this from Subaru I will wait at least one month before doing anything. Come on Subaru! Be better!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moral of the story: if I ever receive another e-mail like this from Subaru I will wait at least one month before doing anything. Come on Subaru! Be better!

That is definitely the moral of the story. To be fair though 504/704 were big updates that addressed a lot of issues. Hopefully future updates would be less encompassing and you’d be advised to just wait until you’re in for service and have them check and install any available updates. The Outback forums would be a good way to keep track of what’s going on with any updates. That’s a very active forum.

One indication of the changes brought about in 504 is the installation of the current map version update for the navigation units. On my Legacy that came with 504 installed it took 27 minutes to install the map update by a usb drive. On my wife’s Onyx Outback still on 502 using the same usb drive it took over 90 minutes. We both had the same previous map version. These Starlink systems are slow at best but on the original 502 firmware they were just painful.

Install time is not consistent which is concerning. On 502 the previous map update took around half an hour. On 504 this map update took over an hour for the car to install.

I have no explanations for that. Based on the email that some owners got about the 704 OTA firmware update, map updates were also to be available soon OTA as well. In the manual it shows that specific regions can be selected for download instead of all North America when done over wifi or hotspot. I’m curious to see how that goes in the future.

• 4 months later...
I just got a letter - there is another update (this is not the one done a few months ago that folks had trouble with). It says certain 2020-2021 Legacy/Outback to update the Cockpit Control Module. Update for over the air functionality, microphone, volume level, voice recognition, and prevention of repeated rebooting after activating Android Auto. Supposed to take about 40 minutes at the dealer. I have a 2020 Legacy Touring and yes I really like it.

It's the 380 update version for the 2020s and 980 for the 2021s that adds the stop start button to the home screen amid other changes. Subaru was just mailing out the letters beginning January 21st I believe but the update has been around for a bit.

I updated mine about a month ago myself.8387f90fbc470612ad377644610967b9.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I just got a letter - there is another update (this is not the one done a few months ago that folks had trouble with). It says certain 2020-2021 Legacy/Outback to update the Cockpit Control Module. Update for over the air functionality, microphone, volume level, voice recognition, and prevention of repeated rebooting after activating Android Auto. Supposed to take about 40 minutes at the dealer. I have a 2020 Legacy Touring and yes I really like it.

It’s actually listed as a recall. Had it done at my dealer and less than 30 minutes. Since it is listed as a recall if you did it yourself you may see something pop up on MySubaru app as well as emails and or letters. Once the dealer put’s it in their system as being updated those notifications should cease.

On Subaru’s recall web site both my Legacy, 2020 Limited XT, and my wife’s Outback 2020 Onyx XT were shown. The software is 380 for the 2020s. Not sure about the 2021s.

• 2 weeks later...
Got an email from Subaru Canada today for a software update. Go to Subaru Canada/update, open the pdf file and the update is not for my '20 with the 11.6'' screen but for the Ascent and older generation models with the 8'' screen. My car says no updates available. What gives Subaru?

Got an email from Subaru Canada today for a software update. Go to Subaru Canada/update, open the pdf file and the update is not for my '20 with the 11.6'' screen but for the Ascent and older generation models with the 8'' screen. My car says no updates available. What gives Subaru?
Yeah got that email as well, guess we Canadians have to perform the update ourselves. We also never got the other updates earlier. Every time I went to the dealer the service guy had zero clue about an update.

I don't trust them so I did it myself, piece of cake really.

Yeah got that email as well, guess we Canadians have to perform the update ourselves. We also never got the other updates earlier. Every time I went to the dealer the service guy had zero clue about an update.

I don't trust them so I did it myself, piece of cake really.

Same here but they did the first update. I hope the real (and subsequent ones) update come shortly...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
WRI-20 installed at my dealer today. While it's great to have Auto/Start/Stop on the main sreen, I won't be a happy camper until I get Speed Volume Control and other audio controls on my Harman Kardon stereo.