LegacyGT.com

Software Update

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those that have the original 502 software be aware that there is a 704 over the air update available to be downloaded and installed over wifi or even a cell network. It’s an abbreviated version of 504 and doesn’t include all the changes, although it does include full screen Apple CarPlay. However if you don’t follow the other forum there are many complaints that this update has bricked or somehow corrupted the head units. Some have no A/C control or Eye Sight safety features operational. Those that have gotten to the dealers are waiting on replacements. There are just too many posts about this to make it worth the risk, although some have reported successful installations.

My car came with 504 but my wife’s Outback still has 502 so I had considered doing this OTA update but not anymore. She’ll just have to make an appointment at the dealer.

Subaru just sent out this email:

The STARLINK update will improve:

Apple CarPlay®

You asked for it and you have been waiting for it - Apple CarPlay full screen is finally here. The full screen view will create an even better experience than you already enjoy. (With the release of iOS14 later this year, you'll see even more improvements in your Subaru when you update your iPhone).

Improved CarPlay boot up time.

Turn-by-turn navigation directions for CarPlay now show in the gauge cluster (between speedometer/odometer) and info bar (under clock).

Carplay music can now be seen and controlled under the STARLINK Media app.

Android Auto™

Boot up time improved

Android Auto music can now be seen and controlled under the STARLINK Media app.

SiriusXM®

Introducing Smart Favorites for your SiriusXM presets. You’ll see a new star icon on the top right of the preset to indicate it’s a Smart Favorite. With this feature, you can skip back to the start of a song or even to prior songs from the time your vehicle was started.

Boot up time improved

Album artwork will be displayed while the vehicle is in motion, from any music source.

For TomTom® navigation equipped vehicles:

Map orientation preference now saved after restart.

Vehicle location triangle now easier to see

Map Updates Over the Air have been fully enabled. You will be able to get a map update over Wi-Fi or using the STARLINK smartphone app sometime in August of 2020. Stay tuned for another communication. In the meantime, map updates can be also downloaded from subaru-maps.com onto a USB drive.

You can now customize the vehicle Bluetooth name to something other than Subaru. (This is ideal for homes with more than one Subaru in the driveway and multiple phones paired to each).

This update also resolves the following bugs:

Blank home screen

EQ settings lost and revert to factory default

CarPlay connection cannot be established

Bluetooth connection can not be reestablished

Media source cannot be changed

Radio station does not resume playing

Display freezes after inserting a CD

White dots appear on display

System reboots after starting the car

Overall stability and performance improvements

Update instructions:

https://subaruofamerica-mkt-prod1-t.campaign.adobe.com/r/?id=h19fbc042,2c375061,21d4a44a&SIE=1aa30ca91847ddbbd071149a72e84be258c9dc253e56ac17aec169ee1418eb7b&delivery_id=741822561&cid=20MarchinsiderOwner&bid=1-1SJC-26

I got the update from the dealer and it has navigation POI features, clock setting updates, and a few other little things.

That’s the update that has bricked a number of head units. Looking at the instructions it shows “current software” as 503. Those that installed this OTA update from 503 seemed to have no issues but those that were updating from 502 seemed to be the ones with the bricked units. Best to go to the dealers for the updates until this is sorted out. The 504 update performed by the dealers is a more complete version also.

I’m reading reports on Outback forums of profiles being dropped post-update. This happened to me too and I had to rebuild my profile.

I got the email, If the car tells me that an OTA update is available, I’m wondering whether I should install or ignore it.

Since my dealer installed the 504 update, the steering wheel voice command is jacked up. It does not understand my voice commands, then interrupts me when trying to do a command, then it cannot finish its request to me to repeat my command by interrupting itself several times over, then it just shuts down telling me it did not understand and to try later. The dealership tells me another update came out last Friday...anyone hear about that, because at home, OTA, shows no new updates.

Since my dealer installed the 504 update, the steering wheel voice command is jacked up. It does not understand my voice commands, then interrupts me when trying to do a command, then it cannot finish its request to me to repeat my command by interrupting itself several times over, then it just shuts down telling me it did not understand and to try later. The dealership tells me another update came out last Friday...anyone hear about that, because at home, OTA, shows no new updates.

If you have 504 you won’t see the recently released OTA update for 704. As far as has been reported nothing newer than those 2 have been released.

I’m reading reports on Outback forums of profiles being dropped post-update. This happened to me too and I had to rebuild my profile.

I got the email, If the car tells me that an OTA update is available, I’m wondering whether I should install or ignore it.

Unless you have 502 or 503 you will not see the OTA update. Those that have installed it - 704 - from 502 have had major issues. Those updating from 503 seem to have it install without issue. My choice would be to go the dealer and have them do the 504 update. If you’re still on 502 I wouldn’t touch the OTA one.

Unless you have 502 or 503 you will not see the OTA update. Those that have installed it - 704 - from 502 have had major issues. Those updating from 503 seem to have it install without issue. My choice would be to go the dealer and have them do the 504 update. If you’re still on 502 I wouldn’t touch the OTA one.

Why not I was on the 502 and upgraded my self to 504 with no problems. I do not see any other issue with the upgrade.

Why not I was on the 502 and upgraded my self to 504 with no problems. I do not see any other issue with the upgrade.

704 is the OTA update, since you’ve updated to 504 you will not see 704 if you check for available updates. Those still on 502 or 503 will see 704 as available if they check from their vehicles. Unfortunately many who were on 502 and downloaded and installed 704 OTA have had major issues. It seems those who were on 503 did not have the same issues, there are more reports of successful installations from 503 than 502.

I have not seen any new significant issues posted about 504. My Legacy delivered 3 weeks ago came with 504. But it seems Subaru will be making available abbreviated versions in the future that can be downloaded by wifi or cell network and installed without a usb drive. But for now reading about the serious issues that have arisen I would forgo 704 for a while. I had intended to download that to my wife’s Outback but since she’s on 502 I’ve recommended she make an appointment at the dealer.

Downloaded the new software for my 2020 Legacy yesterday and entire monitor went black, Eyesight went out. Took it to dealer this AM. Of course, got another email from Subaru today saying software is paused due to it causing issues. Dealer just informed me that the fix is an entirely new logic module!!!

Yes, I got an e-mail from Subaru too

Earlier this week, we notified you of an available STARLINK® software update for your 2020 Legacy. After receiving feedback from our owners, we have placed a temporary pause on this update. We will notify you when the update is available for download and installation.

If you attempted to install this update and are now experiencing any concerns with the operation of your STARLINK® system, please contact your Subaru retailer for assistance. If you require help locating a retailer or need additional assistance, please contact our Customer Advocacy Department at 1-800-782-2783 or online.

We apologize for any inconvenience and issues. We are committed to making your STARLINK® system better with each update to ensure your Subaru ownership experience is enjoyable.

So far, my update is good. It took a while to download and install, but I’m happy with it. CarPlay still has some connection issues, but seems to connect fine if I disconnect the cable and reconnect. It’s much better than before. I like Waze being the entire screen as well.

Did the update on our car Wednesday night followed the directions went to install, turned the car off waited 5 minutes started the car again... screen had a black box in the middle then went completely black. 2 days of not having a radio or being able to change where the cool air comes out has left my wife very [emoji2959][emoji35][emoji2959][emoji35]. Now she doesn’t want me to do any updates I completely understand a hour each way to & from work with radio I would be too. Car going in this morning to have them look at it. I also tried the discounting the battery and that didn’t work so save you time with that one.

i updated to 704 from 502 OTA and just simply waited as i know these processors are slow and everything went well ...after full update was done car beeped continuously and doors were locked and will not open with remote and i used key to unlock and turn off car and waited 5 min before restart car and everything worked. system shows 704 ....HVAC works, everything seems normal. i will report if i discover any issues....

I got the e-mail for the map update and did it yesterday. At first I thought things went real bad. I got an error it could not update and then my map was gone. I tried it again and the updated took 3 hours to complete. When done it was all back and working fine.

Boy, what a scare this was at first.

If you read the screen it says you can turn the car on and off and it will complete. That is right and I had to turn the car on many times to get it to complete.

Good luck to everyone that does this. Just keep trying it will complete. It just take a lot of time.

Another one goes down... I did the update a week ago with the black screen result. It's been at the dealer since. They say CCU is back-ordered and didn't even have a date. I guess a bunch of these are getting replaced. Ouch!

Update 6-sept: Car is home. Took almost 3 weeks to resolve. To be fair, dealer/SOA communicated well and got me a rental no questions asked, so can’t complain about the service. I think that control unit is north of a grand so hopefully this is not a portent of future pain when warranties are past.

Edited by feezman
update

I have had 504 on my car for close to a month. Today after i pulled out of the driveway, the whole screen went black after i tried to change the volume. I pulled over and after about 30 seconds the screen came back. First time that has happened.

Also my phone has lost pairing 4 or 5 times since the update. Too bad they didn't fix that like they said. But atleast i know now that if i plug it in via usb somehow the android auto connecting fixes the pairing issue if i leave it running. Better than repairing it each time.

Has anyone had issue with the lane centering after the update? I hadn't noticed any issues until today, but it was pulling dramatically to the right. It has always liked to be in the right hand side of the lane, but i have never let off the wheel and it jerk to the right like it did today. I thought maybe the alignment was off, but when i turned off the lane centering, it was fine.

Update to my 504 upgrade...dealership replacing head unit under warranty. When I was there talked to the service writer about the updates and he had the 704 update listed as an Outback update and not the Legacy.

Update to my 504 upgrade...dealership replacing head unit under warranty. When I was there talked to the service writer about the updates and he had the 704 update listed as an Outback update and not the Legacy.

704 does essentially the same as 504 minus a few things. If someone connected their Legacy to wifi or a phone’s hotspot an update can be checked for. I would imagine 704 would show up unless you already had the 504 usb update onboard.