LegacyGT.com

Turbo upgrade

I’m looking at doing a VF52 or 18G upgrade from stock on my 05 LGT. Stage 2+ ATM with uppipe, downpipe+catback, AP, and a Cobb intake. I have a FMIC I want to include in the set up and it will all be pro tuned. Will fueling be an issue? I’ve heard just an upgraded pump like a 255 or 300 LPH would be fine with stock injectors. But do I really need a whole new side feed to top feed conversion for the turbo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VF52 will squeak by on stock injectors, but you'll probably leave a bit on the table. 18G will be pretty limited on stockers. If you ever plan on running E85, you ought to do the injectors now unless you want to pay for the pump gas tune update later.

VF52 will squeak by on stock injectors, but you'll probably leave a bit on the table. 18G will be pretty limited on stockers. If you ever plan on running E85, you ought to do the injectors now unless you want to pay for the pump gas tune update later.

What all needs to be done with the top feed conversion? Import image sells an ID kit with 1050 cc and rails. I’ll have to get the lines separate. What else am I missing besides the pump?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rails, injectors, various lines/fittings, and preferrably an FPR. You'll need either rails w/ adapter hardware to fit into your sidefeed TGVs, or a set of regular topfeed rails and a set of topfeed TGV housings. If doing the latter, you might as well do TGV deletes.

I started trying to do it the cheap way, using OEM rails and FPR from a topfeed car (09 LGT). I ended up spending a bunch of time chasing down gremlins, but did end up with a workable system in the end. I am no longer running the stock FPR, because it came up during trouble shooting that it's really not rated for the increased flow of the 320 lph pump I'm running.

Oh, either route you go you'll want to make sure you get some pulse dampers, either aftermarket or stock. Your stock ones may screw into aftermarket rails with direct mount ports (IAG), but I can't confirm this. You can also get OEM or aftermarket inline dampers.

If I had to do it again, I'd have just bought the aftermarket rails, lines, FPR and dampers from the getgo. I saved a little bit of cash but lost a lot of time.

Edited by awfulwaffle

Budget set up would be VF52 with stock pump and injectors, your tuner will scale back a bit due to fueling and injector size, (but still a fun upgrade). One step up would be adding bigger sidefeeds and a pump, (DW65c or similar). Full chat would be adding ID top feeds (just go 1050cc at this point there are no drawbacks, easier to tune than sidefeeds). You can run aftermarket top feed fuel rails if you like but not totally necessary. I’m running OEM topfeed rails on my track car with no issues.