LegacyGT.com

Best Catback for 05-09 LGT?

Looking for a good Catback. What’s everyone running and what’s good? Been looking at the Invidia N1 dual exit Exhaust. Says it doesn’t fit but the routing look exactly the same. Anyone have input on that too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AVO would be my first choice of what’s readily available. Welds are really nice and overall build quality Is good. Most importantly the exhaust note is nice and throaty without the raspy-ness you see in a lot of catbacks. Nameless makes a quality kit as well, American made in WA. Prefer the exhaust note on the AVO but that’s a personal choice. If I had my druthers I’d go Nameless mid and Y pipe to my Prodrive cans :)

I went Borla - it's readily available - IMHO perfect for our cars - louder and deeper than stock - but not obnoxious.... (I have an Nvidia Downpipe and VF52 as well)

Ohh and fitment is good too - as well as Stainless with 1MM mile guarantee..

Borla is my favorite. Here's a sound sample of a car with the exact exhaust I have. It isn't obnoxious and has a sexy rumble. I get lots of compliments on it with my Perrin catless uppipe, Borla catback, and Invidia catted downpipe.

Here's one of Gunnar's Vaderwagon with a catless downpipe.

The Greddy axleback with an Avo midpipe also sounds really good, hard to find clips of that. I don't really love the Q300 Invidia system as it's way too loud for a muffled and resonated exhaust IMO.

Yea Borla definitely sounds good. It’s just on the pricey side. But you definitely get what you pay for. The Q300 definitely not the time I’m looking for. It also is ugly with the quad tip. Which is why I was asking about the N1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You may want to stop by a local exhaust shop and see what they can do for you. There is a large choice of tips you can chose from on line.

Tell them you want it a little louder.

Here's a sample, https://www.google.com/search?q=exhaust+tips+2.5+inlet&oq=exhaust+tips&aqs=chrome.6.69i57j0l7.8449j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I have this brand on my wagon, https://www.dynomax.com/accessories/universal-stainless-steel-tips

still look great some 7 years later.

Oh, not all shops will work on a car that is catless.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

My 05 OBXT came with "custom" muffler deletes. They just chopped off the flanges and welded some (mismatched size lol) ~2.5" pipe to the stock y pipes. It honestly sounds just fine for my likings. I drive a pretty loud v8 truck as a daily and hate to hear the obnoxiously loud newer WRXs/STIs and this come nowhere near that sound level but still enjoyable.

-Justin

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

I'm brand new the forum and sadly I have no idea where to start or what exactly to do in regards to this situation.

The backstory is this. I bought a 2007 Legacy (non gt) in May of 2020 with less than 91k on it for less than $6k. Car is in really good shape for being 13 years old. I took it into my mechanic shop to ask about a rattling it makes when I start it up. They told me the heat shield bolts above the cat had rusted out so the shield was just sitting on top of the cat. So they fixed that. They also looked into the grumble that it makes towards the exhaust. Turns out I have a leak in the exhaust and the down pipe is rusting out. Again, fine, it's 13 years old and it's a Minnesota car, it's been exposed to salt and crap on the roads for it's whole life.

The shop told me I would need to replace the pipe from the cat back to the mufflers to remedy the issue. I don't know if this true, nor am I going to argue with the shop about it, they have been really good to me so far.

What I am trying to figure out is the stock system replacement is going to run me close to $1300 after parts and labor costs to get that installed at my shop. I'd like to know thoughts if 1. Is it worth it to keep it stock and 2. has anyone has experience in installing a Borla system (PN: 140123) on a Non-GT? I know it's not a WRX or meant to get a ton of tuning but I figured if I am going to replace the exhaust system, might as well put something that sounds a little better on it.

Any thoughts or experiences or willing to share information on the topic is very much appreciated!

Thank you!

-Dan

^ dsmith, Take the car to a Muffler Shop and get an estimate on have them replace what's needed.

Being a 2.5i there's not much out there for aftermarket exhaust that would give you any sound. Tell the muffler shop you'd like it to be a little louder, maybe they can chose a muffler that will do that.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

^ dsmith, Take the car to a Muffler Shop and get an estimate on have them replace what's needed.

Being a 2.5i there's not much out there for aftermarket exhaust that would give you any sound. Tell the muffler shop you'd like it to be a little louder, maybe they can chose a muffler that will do that.

Muffler shops still sell the "cherry bomb", that'd give you more noise.

My 05 OBXT came with "custom" muffler deletes. They just chopped off the flanges and welded some (mismatched size lol) ~2.5" pipe to the stock y pipes. It honestly sounds just fine for my likings. I drive a pretty loud v8 truck as a daily and hate to hear the obnoxiously loud newer WRXs/STIs and this come nowhere near that sound level but still enjoyable.

-Justin

I traded someone for a set like this. On a modified car, it was crazy loud. The neighbors called the cops after my first pass down the street.

Muffler shops still sell the "cherry bomb", that'd give you more noise.

My local guy sold me some Magna Flow knock offs about 7 years ago. They are still doing great with the DynaMax tips I bought. ;)

The rear bumper is different. The tips will not fit unless you get really long hangers.

You could always cut the tip off and have something made or buy some turn down tips from the aftermarket. Lots of styles out there.

Any exhaust shop will be willing to do this for money...its kind of what they do ;)

Hint, if you plan to keep the car, buy good quality tips. My expensive DynaMax tips that I got from my local speed shop back in 2013 still look great and polish up nicely. Just like the shop told me when I asked about them. I drive the car year round in some pretty nasty weather.

Do you think the Borla (or AVO for that matter) would actually work on an Outback XT? I just don't want my back bumper getting melted.

AVO has this kit and it looks like the mufflers are bent down, so it looks like it would fit an Outback just fine:

https://emnotek.com/products/avo-catback-exhaust-outback-xt-2005-2009

A little pricey though.

Edited by Mr. Electric Wizard