LegacyGT.com

hair-trigger key remote?

[quote name='MSB']The JDM key is 10cm /4.5" long, it's not too big, although I did prefer the flick key that thay have on VW's etc.[/quote] Umm, 10 cm != 4.5". The conversion is: 25.4 mm/inch, so 10 cm = 3.937" The US key is 3.8", so if the 10 cm number is the correct one, they are about the same size, about twice the size of a standard key. Just for additional info, the wireless fob is 2.8" long.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeap, my JDM key is 10cm long - just checked. [quote name='DAP'][quote name='MSB']The JDM key is 10cm /4.5" long, it's not too big, although I did prefer the flick key that thay have on VW's etc.[/quote] Umm, 10 cm != 4.5". The conversion is: 25.4 mm/inch, so 10 cm = 3.937" The US key is 3.8", so if the 10 cm number is the correct one, they are about the same size, about twice the size of a standard key. Just for additional info, the wireless fob is 2.8" long.[/quote]

Ok, update.. I swapped my old "dead" remote for a new remote, and I could then arm and disarm the car through my garage wall from about 50 feet.. now today I can't get the thing to disarm from 15 feet line of sight. I wonder if perhaps one of the buttons is getting depressed in my pocket or something that is killing my batteries? This is getting really annoying though. There are no screws on the back of the remote, do you think that you can just pry it open? I have one more remote to work with until I have to go get new batteries. I am starting to get peeved.

I was on the 6th floor of my work on the closest side to my car. My car was parked on the ground level outside, maybe 150 feet from the base of the building. I could lock or unlock from that high up with no problems at all. I could see the lights flashing on my car. It was awesome. :D

When I had my 2000 2.5rs I could lock/unlock the doors from a the 6th floor of a building with the car being about 100ft+ away from the base of the building. But I would always have trouble trying to unlock the car from a few feet away. With this remote I can be really close or far away and lock/unlock the doors with no problem.

Guest *Jedimaster*
[quote name='Th3Franz']Does anyone know if something can be reprogrammed so that when I press the unlock button on the key fob, it unlocks all the doors with just one press? Hitting it twice and all of the doors not unlocking is starting to anger me..[/quote] Franz....go to your happy place.

[quote name='Th3Franz']Does anyone know if something can be reprogrammed so that when I press the unlock button on the key fob, it unlocks all the doors with just one press? Hitting it twice and all of the doors not unlocking is starting to anger me..[/quote] My Acura remote acts the same way and is very annoying when you want all doors open. I have to press the remote twice, but s-l-o-w-l-y otherwise it ignores the second click.

[quote name='Th3Franz']Does anyone know if something can be reprogrammed so that when I press the unlock button on the key fob, it unlocks all the doors with just one press? Hitting it twice and all of the doors not unlocking is starting to anger me..[/quote] There was a fix for the WRX...maybe someone will figure it out for the Legacy?

• 7 months later...
For all you guys admiring the Audi/VW key fob... I have three friends with these. (One Audi TT, one Audi A4, and one VW Touareg.) ALL THREE OF THE FOBS BROKE WITHIN THE FIRST YEAR. Same failure mode -- they split in half along the horizontal seam. The dealer(s) replaced them, but still. What lousy QA.

[quote name='rocketman']For all you guys admiring the Audi/VW key fob... I have three friends with these. (One Audi TT, one Audi A4, and one VW Touareg.) ALL THREE OF THE FOBS BROKE WITHIN THE FIRST YEAR. Same failure mode -- they split in half along the horizontal seam. The dealer(s) replaced them, but still. What lousy QA.[/QUOTE] I had exceptionally good experiences with my VAG keys.. The A4 keys have been dropped from one story onto hard floor, been ritually abused worn and torn and though the picture of the functions of the buttons has worn off, the key is still intact in terms of range and use. Forget VAG keys though, the Mercedes keys are my favorite, especially the keyless go card! On topic: bump for the question of if there is any way to get the JDM keys for the US car?

When I brought this issue up months ago on this forum I was blasted over and over again. I was (by most posters) told I was lazy,crazy, trying to destroy Subaru, pants too tight ,wrong kind of pants, should know better than put keys in my pants, etc. Just about any thing EXCEPT that the thing is screwed up!! Nice to see that Subaru is addressing this. Interisting also that the general tone of this forurm postings are a little different. FRANKLIN

I'm with you, I hated mine since I picked the car up July 2nd. Not to mention the wind noise at 50MPH from the driver mirror.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 5 weeks later...
An inexpensive solution to the hair-trigger key remote on the new Subaru's that seems to work for me. Take a piece of clear heat shrink tubing of a size the key remote will slide into. Cut it so that it covers both the lock and unlock button. Heat until it is snug. (If you try to cut the tubing long enough to cover the trunk and panic buttons it probably will not shrink enough to fit snugly because of the tapered design of the remote.) If this does not offer enough extra resistance to accidental activation simply cut a piece of clear plastic such as from a school report cover and slide it under the shrink wrap. The fix cost me under $2.00. Certainly less expensive and much easier than buying another remote from an earlier model and trying to program it to work with you car. To change the battery just slide the shrink wrap off and back on. From accidentally activating my locks almost daily I have yet to activate them in error since I tried this quick fix. Good luck.

Archived