LegacyGT.com

hair-trigger key remote?

Just ditto-ing a concern from the Edmunds forum. Is anyone having an experience with the key remote's buttons being too sensitive and closing/opening the car while it is stashed in one's pocket? Folks at Edmunds have said the buttons are too big and too sensitive and are causing problems. A safety issue has been broached, as someone has said it's possible to accidentally unlock your car, after you lock it, just by putting your remote in your pocket. If others here are finding the same thing, perhaps the complaint can be forwarded to another thread to alert SOA and see if they want to make a change.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I still after 3 subby's HATE power door locks. They always seem to be locked when I want them open. I really hate, even more, the automatic locks on dimestics. If I want the feakin doors locked I'll do it myself. Please don't get me going on this.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

automatic locks i work at a dealer u woult even wana know how often auto locks lock the door while pulling the car up in the service isle. then the door is closed. but wait the keys are in it i have had some practice getting in cars :twisted: but about sensitve buttons. i use a key chain and hang them off one of my belt loops so i dont think this will be an issue

OMG, please tell me Franz again that the car DOESNT beep when you hit the button. I so HATE that, the light flashing, thats all good but the beep for mine does sound a little cheap, especially for a car that doesnt have a proper protection system.

I'm hoping, like my '98 altima, that you can defeat the chirp (and only the chirp) by pressing the right buttons in the right combination. I believe that many cars do this and it 'does' annoy me, in this day and age, when I hear people chirp their modern cars. Unless it's non changeable -it's stupid to let your car chirp (my opinion). It's simply noise pollution and annoying. What is the verdict on the chirp for the Legacy...muteable or no?

[quote name='bolbo']What is the verdict on the chirp for the Legacy...muteable or no?[/quote] Yes. Look at the back of the keyfob. Some of the writing on the back (minus some FCC verbiage at the top) gives you instructions on how to turn off the chirp: Buzzer chirp on/off 1) Press unlock once. 2) Press unlock and lock at the same time for 2 seconds.

[quote name='agctr']OMG, please tell me Franz again that the car DOESNT beep when you hit the button. I so HATE that, the light flashing, thats all good but the beep for mine does sound a little cheap, especially for a car that doesnt have a proper protection system.[/quote] I like the beep! It sounds classy, and the beep is not from the horn, but from something else. It's like a chirp. But yes, you can turn it off as mentioned above ^.

Not only are the buttons too easy to hit, the key fob is WAY TOO BIG! The ignition key alone is twice the size of any other key on my key chain. If subaru were to integrate the keyless entry system into the key itself, and cut the size of the key in half I would buy several. I HATE the size of the keys. It would also be nice if there were a (removable so as not to piss off people who don't want it) cover over the buttons that had to be lifted, or slid asside, before the buttons could be pressed.

Thanks Brady and Franz, and thankfully it has an off feature but will have to hear it as I thought it would have been the horn. Dont tell me u guys over there have a different Key too???? What does yrs look like then?

Well, I already complained at Edmunds, so let me just echo it here -- the buttons get pushed accidentally all the time. I think this is a pretty bad design for the remote. The buttons are too large and are not recessed or protected at all. Craig

I don't have this car (yet) so could someone please post a picture (and perhaps scale reference) of the US key in question. I've sat in a LGT but can't remember the key. Thanks. If the key is really that poorly designed...let's collectively contact the right person at SOA and apprise them of public opinion. It matters if enough people voice.

[quote name='bolbo']I don't have this car (yet) so could someone please post a picture (and perhaps scale reference) of the US key in question. I've sat in a LGT but can't remember the key. Thanks. If the key is really that poorly designed...let's collectively contact the right person at SOA and apprise them of public opinion. It matters if enough people voice.[/quote] Yes, the key is poorly designed, especially coming from a VW where the key folds in to the integrated remote. Yes the key is too sensitive, I frequently lock/unlock the car while my key is in my pocket. I really like the chirp especially that the sound is not coming from the horn, it sounds kind of futuristic. I like to hear the chirp especially when you accendently activate the remote. But...really...who cares? I would think that if you're considering buying a Legacy, the design of the key is completely irrelevant to your decision. If so, you can always buy a VW Golf and get a wonderfully designed key and save several $$$ in the process.

2005 Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5EAT Garnet Red :cool:

1999 GTI VR6 Black - sold but not forgotten... :(

[quote name='bolbo']I don't have this car (yet) so could someone please post a picture (and perhaps scale reference) of the US key in question. I've sat in a LGT but can't remember the key. Thanks. If the key is really that poorly designed...let's collectively contact the right person at SOA and apprise them of public opinion. It matters if enough people voice.[/quote] There's a pic of the key on this page: [url]http://www.cars101.com/subaru/outback/outback2005photos.html[/url]

[quote name='TeeLoo'][quote name='bolbo']I don't have this car (yet) so could someone please post a picture (and perhaps scale reference) of the US key in question. I've sat in a LGT but can't remember the key. Thanks. If the key is really that poorly designed...let's collectively contact the right person at SOA and apprise them of public opinion. It matters if enough people voice.[/quote] Yes, the key is poorly designed, especially coming from a VW where the key folds in to the integrated remote. Yes the key is too sensitive, I frequently lock/unlock the car while my key is in my pocket. I really like the chirp especially that the sound is not coming from the horn, it sounds kind of futuristic. I like to hear the chirp especially when you accendently activate the remote. But...really...who cares? I would think that if you're considering buying a Legacy, the design of the key is completely irrelevant to your decision. If so, you can always buy a VW Golf and get a wonderfully designed key and save several $$$ in the process.[/quote] TeeLoo: I agree. The key has bugged me since day one (I just turned 2k miles :D ) but not enough to post until I responded here.

Ditto here. I always carry the keys in hand until I'm about 30ft from the car. The remote from my '98 passat never triggered from my pocket but the rubber buttons wore through after about a year. I like the hard plastic buttons of the subie remote, just wish they weren't so sensitive

My remote "accidentally" locks or unlocks my Legacy when it's in my pocket often. The buttons are super sensitive. The other remote on my keyring is for our 2001 Toyota Sienna van, and it has NEVER done this while sitting in my pocket. There was a posting on Edmunds that someone threw his keys in his briefcase on the passenger's seat, got out, closed the door, and as he was walking around his car to open the passenger's door and get his briefcase out the doors locked. He was not a happy man.

Archived