LegacyGT.com

What's on your mind at this instant? -- Volume 13

ammcinnis

sent jeep in for a recall that corporate has been mailing us weekly about. Scheduled a month out to be sure parts were available. When I went to pick it up, service advisor told techs not to do the work and didn't tell us. When I asked about it, advisor said you can schedule it and we'll do it. The urge to wrap a wrench around someone's head has never been so strong. My response was something like "f that, I'm done with it ".

We've been looking for a better tow vehicle. Dodge was a leading contender. On the way home, drove past a Toyota dealer that had the exact configuration we'd been looking for. Traded the jeep in, and took home the Toyota. Recall completed after-all.

Totally want pics of the Toyota

♪Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;

None but ourselves can free our minds.♫ -Bob Marley, Redemption Song

You think she is capable of taking care of herself and having a kid right now?

I'm 100% certain that there are worse parents out there.

But I don't really know a whole lot about the story.

Brought to you by Pfizer

You picked a jeep based on towing capacity?

What jeep? What Toyota?

FCA isn't exactly where they should be

we already had the 2013 jeep grand cherokee srt8. Factory rated at 5000lb towing. We bought the travel trailer with a max weight rating of 4980 lbs. Driving trailer home from Utah in 100degree weather was frustrating. Had to stop every couple hours for high octane gas and let Jeep cool off. Getting home, Jeep overheated backing into driveway.

My wife loved the Jeep, except for high cost of premium gas and difficulty parking in Seattle area. Pretty much the kiss of death.

We started looking for an alternate tow rig even before buying the trailer, figuring the Jeep might not cut it. Half-ton trucks, dirty maxes, suvs, even a sportruck. As we were replacing "her" Jeep, it had to be fit in the garage, tow the trailer, and be comfortable for long drives.

Ive liked the Gladiator since it came out. The long-promised diesel is available this year. We took a gas powered Rubicon for a drive and garage test (1950's garage is small). Everything was great until I started checking into actual towing capacity. No diesel in the best towing configuration. Gas mileage in the 10-12 range (same as Jeep). The recall f-up was the last straw for any FCA product.

A fellow track rat has a minimally configured Toyota Tacoma 4-door, 4x4, short bed, off-road. He tows pretty much the same stuff as me loaded similarly. I've liked riding in it, but never had a use for one. Now I do. The configuration (same one) I bought is rated at 6800lb towing. It needs a few upgrades (beefier transmission cooler, trailer brake controller, tonneau cover/bed cap, etc). In two days of commuting to work (45miles rt, mostly highway) I'm getting 28mpg. Haven't had any time to hook up the trailer yet, so don't know if I just replaced my headache or solved it.

I owned a lifted 5mt Nissan hardbody pickup many years ago. It was Boxkita's favorite vehicle, even more than his wagon. It didn't go more than 70, so his window was permanently down and was always hanging out. The interior was all plastic so driving through puddles and getting soaked became a thing. After a number of years of abuse, it started falling apart mechanically. Rather than fix it (brake system failed, suspension was failing due to 2000lb dump runs, etc), I sold it.Ive missed ever since.

The taco seems like the bigger badder version of the hardbody. The desire to find a forest road on a rainy day is strong. It's polar white, so keeping it clean will be impossible. The suspension and tire sway makes cornering at speed interesting. Next driver skills event is a couple weeks away. Looking forward to testing on the slalom and autox courses.

The taco has already had an impact on my driving. I've always been a 3500-5000 rpm driver, now I'm 1700-1800rpm. 62 mph seems fast. The right lane is good. I'm looking forward to testing the "crawl" mode.

And 2000 pounds in a Nissan hb? Isn't that close to the weight of that truck?! Lol

it might have been overloaded. Steering was nearly nonexistent. I never got out of 1st gear for the entire 3 miles to the dump. I kept throwing stuff in until the fenders were even with the tires. covered with a tarp and tied it down well. Dump said looks good to me ( $1000 fine for improperly secured loads).

And 2000 pounds in a Nissan hb? Isn't that close to the weight of that truck?! Lol

That ain't nuttin

My Stomper as a kid could tow at least 1 lb, it only weighed .25.

stomper-subaru_brat.jpg

I wish I had the Brat, that thing looks awesome. Pretty sure I had the Silver Chevy

DSC_0059_cf03b92c-7719-4260-9bc1-04673c4ea32a_1024x1024.JPG?v=1571273929

Edited by DickDastardly00

I sometimes watch Demolition Ranch and Offtheranch on youtube when I'm bored. This video from his/matt's dad came up in my feed, and I liked hearing his thoughts.

in the wtf category, I've been laid off from the dealership for buying a vehicle from another dealership. A vehicle we haven't had for several months and aren't able to get. Even we could get it, they wouldn't sell it to an employee because non-employees come first.

I cant wait for that bomb to hit the unemployment office.

And in other news - there's a risk that I'll have to look for a new job because the plant where I work now might shut down:

The closure of Sweden’s greatest cement manufacturing facility on environmental grounds may trigger as much as 400,000 job losses and wipe out the nation’s GDP development, in accordance with an alliance of development our bodies.

Work may grind to a halt on three-quarters of all house-building tasks and the development sector may lose greater than 20 billion Swedish Kronor (SEK) monthly.

Work on infrastructure tasks together with Foster + Companions’ Slussen masterplan in Stockholm is also impacted.

The warning got here from Byggföretagen, a physique that represents development companies in Sweden.

https://world-technews.com/2021/07/15/sweden-faces-very-serious-economic-impacts-as-environmental-ruling-closes-cement-plant/

453747.png

Holy...the reviews on working at Leafly. :lol:

"Worst company I've worked for"

"A dumpster fire "

"Burned through 8 CEOs in ## years"

Sounds wonderful