LegacyGT.com

Timing belt

I have 122k miles on my 2.5L and figure I should get my timing belt done as preventative maintenance. What else should I get done with it?

Is this kit sufficient or do I need more? Is the quality on that fine?

https://www.amazon.com/Dayco-WATER-PUMP-KIT-WP307K1BS/dp/B071YNW1GY

Would you go to a dealership or independent shop? My usual shop (indy) said it's a pain and they'd rather not do it. Dealership wants like $800 and I don't even know what that includes.

I would get OEM Subaru Cam and crank seals as well as OEM Thermostat.

I don't know much about those kits, but I feel more comfortable with Gates stuff. The latest Gates kit I got all came with Japanese bearing pulleys. Sorry I don't have specifics for you, but the Turbo Engine kit is a different beast.

It will be easy enough to change out your drive belt at the same time. For that anything from Autozone would be fine.

I think your motor is Single Overhead Cam, which really makes this job super easy IMO and definitely an easy way to save some cash if you're keen. YouTube has a lot of vidoes on it.

Would definitely get a Gates kit of not going oem. While you're in there and have lots of stuff apart I'd do the valve cover gaskets and spark plugs. I'd check on the condition of the coolant hoses and if there's any soft spots or cracking I'd replace them as well. Thermostat as well while you're in there, and *definitely* go oem on that, they're like $15. I may go a bit overkill when I do stuff like this, but I'd rather get stuff done in one fell swoop than have to do a hundred small jobs, especially since the parts are cheap.

I would get an oem kit. I don't trust any of the aftermarket stuff anymore. OEM is always the same.

The dealer likely is quoting just the general labor for the install as the parts themselves can total $400+ if bought at a parts counter. Best thing to do is look for an online retailer like Six-Star. Or find the oem part numbers which should be the same over the years and find the best price yourself.

Aisin or Continental timing kits if not OEM. Dayco quality is inferior to most on the market. Seals are not necessary but are prone to leak over time. SOHC Subarus are the easiest timing belts to do. Plenty of room to work once the radiator and fan assembly is out of the way. I'd steer clear of that shop, they dont know what they're doing. I believe it's about a 3.5hr book labor job and probably another hour to do the seals if you want them done.

Aisin TKF0006 timing kit with water pump

Aisin THF0005 Thermostat

Pick your favorite online vendor. Should run somewhere around $250 for the parts. It can be done in about 4 hours in the driveway. It's actually pretty easy. Toughest part is breaking the crank pulley bolt loose. It's a 22 MM if I remember correctly. Either buy the pulley holder tool or if you have a long enough breaker bar put it up against the driver side frame rail and bump the starter. I usually pull the radiator and fans as an assembly to get my small impact on it to break it free. 2 hold down bolts on the top, 2 plugs for the fans on the sides and disconnect the hoses. Everything else will be 10, 12 and 14 mm. You should use a torque wrench on the bolts and crank pulley. I attached the FSM for the 2010 2.5 - It will be the same as your 2012

Here is a pretty straight forward video on how to do it.

As far as other items. If the serpentine belt and hoses are original replace them. Check the idler pulleys for noise, replace any noisy ones. If you live where they use salt on the roads buy new bolts for the timing covers, odds are they will be rusted up.

15. Timing Belt.pdf

13. Crank Pulley.pdf

16. Cam Sprocket.pdf

4. Water Pump.pdf