LegacyGT.com

Suspension upgrade

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having Jeeps growing up, an alignment was pretty easy on solid axles. I've never gotten an alignment on a car before (don't keep them long enough). I'll have to look around for a good alignment shop in KC.

As GT said, you can get away without adjustable LCAs if you're just doing suspension upgrade with mild drop and stiffness. As long as you know a competent shop that knows how to do alignments you'll be fine.

Did my Konis with H&R springs (which I believe sits .15-.25 lower than Eibach, but cant remember) at 151k miles. Currently at 171k and had these set of tires installed at 125k. Mostly even wear across all tires - tire rotations every other oil change.

Recently had an alignment done by the same shop at 169k.

Initial Camber:

Front Left -1.24 deg.

Front Right -1.34 deg.

Rear Left -1.70 deg.

Rear Right -1.97 deg.

Final Camber:

Front Left -0.85 deg.

Front Right -0.92 deg.

Rear Left -1.78 deg.

Rear Right -2.07 deg.

Zero toe in the front, a little in the rear.

I would have liked the rear camber to be a little better, but the tech couldn't seem to get it any better. He suspects (along with myself) that I may need to replace some bushings or other components. I did the front LCAs with Super Pros and Whiteline bushings around 160k w/alignment, but after some settling and wear I'm sure that where the front adjustment was needed. The rear is still on stock rubber bits even after stiffening things up with the konis, so probably time to replace those!

your initial Camber at the front.is that with the stock camber adjusters set to the max?

for better handling I found making the front -2 degrees both side

Ran across this site and I think I will get the donor struts and adjustable rear arms there. They look identical to the brand name parts, except the rear arms don't have the stamp. They actually look exactly like the Mevotech ones. More than likely the same factory makes all of these arms and the SPC and Moog arms get the stamp. The struts are getting chopped up anyway, so all I need is a good housing.

Arms:

https://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/Subaru/Legacy/Replacement/Control_Arm/2011/SET-RS28150005-2.html

Struts:

https://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/Subaru/Legacy/Replacement/Shock_Absorber_and_Strut_Assembly/2011/SET-RS28050003.html

This puts the Koni and Cusco setups almost neck and neck as far as price.

Edited by Falcor

Fixed your link- it works fine in the deals thread, but ended up broken here somehow. Pretty awesome deal!

Hope that fixed it. I linked to each product page this time instead of the one that included search results.

I was just hoping to save money somewhere. As of right now, here are my options:

Koni/Eibach (includes new donor front struts)- $1152.08

Cusco/Eibach - $1088.49

13-14 KYB/Eibach - $723.92

Monroe Quick-Strut (swap Eibach Springs) - $582.94

This does not include the price of the Eibach's since they have been sitting in my garage for almost a year.

That's with all new parts including the adjustable rear arms.

Hi there guys long time stalker here but has anyone run the Cusco/h&r? I really want to get the Koni/h&r but I'm willing to pay a little more for less work [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Hi there guys long time stalker here but has anyone run the Cusco/h&r? I really want to get the Koni/h&r but I'm willing to pay a little more for less work [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

No one here is running Cusco shocks with H&R yet. Be the first!

No one here is running Cusco shocks with H&R yet. Be the first!
Haha might have to be the guinea pig lol. I would ask my brother as he is a mechanic but you guys seem more....let's say more knowledgeable in this specific field. I would assume I get the cusco shocks then like the other parts like the top mount, bump stop and all that good stuff?

Just wanna make sure I have everything before I come about this possible install. I'm only hesitant on lowering because I don't wanna rub and or have to roll my fenders. I put some sti wheels on and so far with it being stock the wheels are flush with the fenders. I'm not gonna track the car or anything just a dd. And being in the Midwest I'm taking the snow into consideration. Sorry for the long ramble but thanks I'm advance.

I received a quote from Vivid Racing a couple weeks ago and the Cusco 687 65T FR strut set is $680 shipped to Kansas City. They are running a 5% off sell right now, so that should take it down to about $650. I actually would rather go with them, but $130 more than Koni is a hard sell along with only 1 year warranty. Of course, with the donor struts for the Konis figured in, the gap closes to about $30.

One very cool thing about the Cusco setup is the optional ECON2 remote damper controller. It runs about $450 shipped from NenGun.

Edited by Falcor

Just ordered the struts and parts to go along with the swap. Ended up going with Koni. The whole setup ended up being about $120 cheaper than Cusco. Since I saved so much I splurged and bought the factory puddle lights. I had them on the Outback and have missed them on the GT.

Id get the Fortune Auto coilovers with swift springs and call it day. You wont have to eorry about “What if,.l.”....i had HR springs in oem shocks/struts and the FA CO are a marked improvement in handling and control. Adjustment to your stiffness liking,.,,,

Just ordered the struts and parts to go along with the swap. Ended up going with Koni. The whole setup ended up being about $120 cheaper than Cusco. Since I saved so much I splurged and bought the factory puddle lights. I had them on the Outback and have missed them on the GT.
Ditto but instead I spent it on the boomba ssa [emoji16]

Hrmmm I'm actually up in Appleton, might have to make a roadtrip down there one of these days

I might be heading up there in the next couple weeks to get a new set of wheels/tires from that Fitment Industries shop...? Could always meet up somewhere to see if you like how the Eibach's sit on the stock wheels.

Ditto but instead I spent it on the boomba ssa [emoji16]

You will love that shift plate. It’s a bit of a pain to install, but well worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had H&R springs on my old Audi. They were stiff! I’m not sure which ones. Probably “sports.” They were black and lowered the car about 1.5” from stock. Didn’t rattle my teeth out, but they didn’t do my lower back any favors.

As long as you go in with eyes open and ibuprofen handy.

I had H&R springs on my old Audi. They were stiff! I’m not sure which ones. Probably “sports.” They were black and lowered the car about 1.5” from stock. Didn’t rattle my teeth out, but they didn’t do my lower back any favors.

As long as you go in with eyes open and ibuprofen handy.

I've ran h&r springs on my 01 outback with kyb struts all around. While the springs were great the kybs were definitely way under damped for the wagon. But it just looked so dang sexy. ee26d7b059ec4f04c8ffb4a470b9db20.jpg

Everything came in today except the rear struts, they are on backorder. The adjustable control arms from Auto Parts Warehouse look good despite the low price. I'm going to run by the auto parts store to compare to the Moog control arm. From all the pics I have seen, these cheaper ones are identical minus the SPC stamp.