LegacyGT.com

Spec B Clutch?

Not true, Subaru will change part numbers anytime anything about a part is changed, even if it the part specifications haven't changed and a different manufacturer makes a part it gets a different number.

The Dual-Mass Flywheel, Clutch Disc and pressure plate have not changed. Still the same part numbers in the new 2006 Spec-B as my very early production GT.

Pressure Plate - 30210AA550

Clutch Disc - 30100AA810

Dual-Mass Flywheel - 12345AA010

With all due respect, as a Subaru employee, you would most likely say that even if you knew different. As stated before, if it was admitted that there was a problem with the early clutches, (and we all know there was a very definate stink) then the floodgates would open, and we would all want an exchange.

...the floodgates would open, and we would all want an exchange.

...which I don't understand at all. Unless a part is inherently unsafe, why do people always feel like they are entitled to an upgrade if a part is improved in later builds?

I have an early build model, and even if my clutch is somehow inferior, I don't think I am automatically entitled to an upgrade if they improve it in later builds. If it wears out and needs to be replaced, then sure, I want the improved part, but unless it's a safety issue, I'm not entitled to a new one unless the original fails.

Maybe I should have put it better, the floodgates of complaints would open. I should hope they have improved on the clutch, same as they have improved the crash test ratings, but I don't think I am entitled to a free upgrade.

If that was the case, Bill Gates wouldn't have got where he is today !

Maybe I should have put it better, the floodgates of complaints would open. I should hope they have improved on the clutch, same as they have improved the crash test ratings, but I don't think I am entitled to a free upgrade.

If that was the case, Bill Gates wouldn't have got where he is today !

No, I think you were right the first time. Sensible people like you and I wouldn't feel entitled to an upgrade, but a lot of whiners would, just like they think they ought to get the '06 airbags retrofitted for free.

Perhaps the clutches are not different.

Perhaps they are now correct.

It is possible that the first batches of clutches were made incorrectly. Wrong mix in the friction compound, wrong weight pressure plate, something... Probably something not visually apparent, but apparent once people started reporting abberant behavior.

Said behavior once cars were going off the lot, and customers started commenting, possibly prompted a look into the construction, engineering, or formulation of said parts, and errors were remedied without the need for a re-design.

Hence same part, no new part number, but obvious difference in functionality. Not new and improved, but rather, back to normal.

This means I am going to have to re-test drive (oh and how troublesome that would be... Not.) since the 05 I test drove last had a very heavy clutch with an odd and variable pick-up point, that slightly overshadowed my ability to pay attention to the rest of the car while driving.

Looks like I'll have to take another test drive! :D

With all due respect, as a Subaru employee, you would most likely say that even if you knew different. As stated before, if it was admitted that there was a problem with the early clutches, (and we all know there was a very definate stink) then the floodgates would open, and we would all want an exchange.

Just to clarify, I don't work for Subaru...I work in the service department of a Subaru dealership...and if there was a new or different part available I would definitly let you all know because then we would be extremely busy changing parts which would help my paycheck...but the part numbers haven't changed and there has been no bulletin about any changes. :D

...and for the record, I still have my original, very early production clutch and have never had a problem with it (nor any stink). Though my clutch is noticably heavier feeling than the newer ones I have driven.

I have posted this in the many other threads on this topic but will throw in my two cents here.

I have a build date of 10/04 and had to have my clutch disk and pressure plate replaced due to the stink and excessive slippage that left me in an intersection a couple of times bouncing off of the rev limiter. This was done at around 7,300 miles. The new one is showing the same stink under normal driving conditions such as stop and go traffic or a drive through the mountains. I'm just waiting for severe weather which was the conditions that led to the original slippage to see if that returns as well.

I don't believe they have changed parts. There is something rotten as in a bad batch of parts or something. I went on record with SOA again in hopes that they will address this problem. Now I'm weighing my option of going aftermarket but I really don't want to lose my warranty.

Please, please, please contact SOA and your service department if you are experiencing these problems. And don't give up when they say "we have never heard of that before."

I have a build date of 10/04 and had to have my clutch disk and pressure plate replaced due to the stink and excessive slippage that left me in an intersection a couple of times bouncing off of the rev limiter. This was done at around 7,300 miles. The new one is showing the same stink under normal driving conditions such as stop and go traffic or a drive through the mountains. I'm just waiting for severe weather which was the conditions that led to the original slippage to see if that returns as well.

Today while driving in traffic I noticed the stink again (!) I never thought I would smell that again. Not as bad as before because there was minimal slip but that same old smell...

Now I am starting to think that my previous clutch had a slipping problem which was addressed with a lighter clutch. The new clutch doesnt slip muchl but it seems that the material is the same as it still stinks if you slip it. my .02

Interesting,

The smell for me before was nasty - burnt something... the new smell for me is a bit sweeter, more rotten egg and less burnt.

One would think that a heaver clutch would reduce slip, hence all the performance clutches being as heavy as they are, so I don't think they lightened it to reduce the slip.

When I say lighter I am refering to the clutch pedal feel.

Took the wagon into the dealers and recounted the problem that I had experienced, (heavy clutch action, excessive slipping), and they are going to replace it under warranty. No questions asked.

They just told me that the technician verified that there was excessive wear on the clutch. I did notice that the car smelled like that had been burning it all afternoon, and it does slip now more than it did when I dropped it off.

I am hoping that the new clutch will relieve that heavy pedal and be a bit easier to modulate.

Archived