LegacyGT.com

Pirelli P Nero M+S

danbart

I'm considering the M+S for the summer instead of the summer version. What I'm getting at is that the summer version, as far as I understand, are really not that great in the rain. Am I off-base there?
"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

I have a set of Goodyear Eagle F-1s on my Audi coupe and they are absolutely amazing in the rain in NY and they are definately a summer only tire. As for the Pzero nero m&s I am running those on my LGT and love them. In fact I just blew one by hitting a big rock with the sidewall of my tire and I am putting four brand new ones on tomorrow and am planning on running them through the winter.

Before I purchased my Pzero Neros, I asked Tire Rack to compare them to the Dunlop SP5000s for me. I was told that they would be better than the SP5000s in the dry, slightly worse in snow and about the same in the wet. The Pzero Nero M+S tires are comparable to a good high performance summer tire, like the Yoko ES100s. They can not keep up with a good ultra high performance summer tire like the SO3s.

That said...I've found the info that I received from Tire Rack to be generally true. Keep in mind that don't have an apples to apples comparison. The Pzeros are on my Legacy 2.5i and the SP5000s are on my WRX and the 2 rides are understandably different. I am running the same size tire on both cars, 205-55/16.

I've had no trouble in the snow with either tire and the Pzeros are fine in the rain and great in the dry. Because there is such a huge performance difference between my 2 cars I can't really say which is a better tire in any condition.

I know you guys tend to stay far away from nasioc, but there are a ton of feedback and reviews for both these tires over there.

I had the P-Z, M+S on my LGT from late spring through early fall and was extremely impressed with their performance in dry and wet conditions. I was not too excited about them in snow, however. If you rarely drive in snowy/icy conditions, and will take it easy when you do, I imagine you'll be fine through, but...

This winter I am driving the H rated, Dunlop Winter Sport M3 on my 06, OB-XT. I have driven over 1,000 miles on them in snow and ice (I live in a ski town) and I have been surprised by their outstanding performance in all conditions. I recomend them if you're looking for a high perormance winter tire.

Last winter I drove the Hakka-Q and while they were good on snow, they did not drive as well in all conditions as the Dunlop.

i just got a set of ultra grip ice from goodyear and they were slick as hell too, but after they broke in, i can rarely break traction. and for a tire to be rated mud and snow they have to have grooves only on 25% of the thread surface, basically any tire now is rated mud and snow

I drove them through last winter in Syracuse NY and thought they were fine. I have never had "snow" tires.

danbart, do you want to trade wheels with me? I've got 1k old re92's on clean stockers.

No thanks I'd rather set myself on fire!

Just kidding! Colorado got another storm today so I had a second chance to try the Pirelli in the snow about 3"-5". This time I had 200 lbs worth of dogs in the back to help out w/ traction.

Verdict = The Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S suck A$$ in the snow. They remind me of my 1990 BMW 325i w/ summer performance tires. I actually did a little performance testing in an empty parking lot.

They have convinced me to get a dedicated set of winter tire. Now I just have to figure out what I want. Tire Rack is out of the M3 and I don't know if I should go w/ a snow + ice tire (DS-2, Blizzak WS-50) or just a performance winter tire (Alpine PA-2, Blizzak LM-25).

I dont know how much dry street performance I'd be giving up between the two categories.

Any info is appreciated.

Well we got our first snowfall here in Jersey and I also wasn't impressed by the PZero Nero's. I seriously think the RE92's were better but it may be because I plus sized the Nero's to 225 45 17's.

It could also be all the new power my car has as well though from the mods put on from last year to this year. I may get snows but I think I may just use my beater when it snows it'll be cheaper that way.

I have been Running the M3's up here in Whistler for about a month now and they are frickin' brilliant in the snow...I drive the Whistler Highway (Great Drive by the way) and cruise very fast and have found these tires to give great confidence in all conditions...we have also had a few big huge rain storms where they handle very well also...a very good choice if you can find them...

I used them on my '94 Honda Accord (with a stick-the car sucked in the snow for a FWD by the way) and found them to be a great all around tire. Snow traction was by far the best of any all season tire I ever used on the car. I've also got a set of the conti's on my wife's car (2000 Mitsubishi Galant GTZ 225/55/16 and they are pretty good as well. The 225 size is a little wide, but they still seem to grip well in the snow. Plus, they definitely handle better than the BF goodrich KDWS tires we had on the car beforehand (those really sucked in the snow, but again, they were 225/55/16s).

I'm debating putting a set on my new GT now. Frankly, I haven't found the RE92 to be all that bad yet, but I've only got 500 miles on the car and didn't have to drive in the snow yet here in NJ (the storm last night missed us).

Archived