LegacyGT.com

Pirelli P Nero M+S

danbart

Just swapped out the old 92s for the Pirellis. Wanted a good performance all season sport tire. I went w/ the stock rims, but Plus Zero sizing. That is from the OEM 215/45-17 to a 225/45-17. Once mounted they do not look much wider than the 92, mostly cause the 92 have that rim protection strip on them.

So far I've got 600 miles on them and have mixed opinions about them.

On the road they are much better than the 92s. Stiffer side wall with better traction and cornering. But because of their grippiness they tend to really feel the road and follow any surface imperfection. On groved concrete they are awfull. They grip so well that they follow the groves to the T making it seem like the car is swaying left and right. In the rain they do pretty well. Don't seem to hydroplane too bad.

In the snow they are awfull. The Tire Rack chart shows that the 92 are much worse than the Neros in the snow , but my experience so far has been quite the opposite. I use the 92s all last winter here in the Colorado Snow and always felt pretty comfortable w/ them. They held pretty well and never surprised me. The Neros on the other hand are scarry. They break traction very soon and are slick as Ice. They do not inspire any confidence in the snow.

Im kind of disappointed by this since I now have to consider buying a dedicated set of snow tires after having spent $160 a pop for the Nero's. Had they held in the snow like the 92 I'd be happy and be able to keep them as my year round tire.

I considered mounting the Continental ContiExtremeContact tire. They seemed pretty promissing and have a really aggressive tread that looks almost like a snow tire. I shyed away from them when I saw them in person and noticed that the sidewall on them is softer than on the 92s. It was a soft as a marshmellow.

Just my 2 cents

The Falken Ziex 512's are excellent in the snow. I ran them last winter. You could probably get a set of four for under 400...Cheaper than the Conti's and gives you a good snow tire to swap with the Nero's.

Ive read some good things about the Hankook Icebear 300 as well.

my brother has ContiExtremes on his BMW and it has stiffer sidewalls than 92s

get Hankook Icebear 300, i read good reviews on the internet and my buddy really likes his

Perrin BIG maf intake

Perrin Turbo Inlet

HKS SSQV BOV

Megan Racing header with UP (ceramic coated)

HKS DP (WRX)

DMH E-cutout

Custom 3" catback

UTEC

I'm having the same experience. My son has an '05 Impreza 2.5RS, and last night was our first experience in the snow. Mild snowfall of about 4 inches, but very cold, wet snow with freezing underneath, but certainly not extreme conditions. I drove the car myself and was very disappointed... no stopping traction whatsoever, and slippery even at slow speeds. He ended up off road last night, fortunately going very slowly, but still clipped a utility box and dented the front end. I'm now on line looking for dedicated snows for the rest of the winter. I bought the P-Zero Neros based on what I had read, but would NEVER under any circumstances use them in the snow again. Horrible performance overall.:icon_frow

In the snow they are awfull. +1

I went up to Mt Hood snowboarding yesterday and almost wrecked on the way home. We had 14" new and was coming home downhill out of the ski area it felt like I had no brakes. I bounced off the snowbanks after doing a 360 after missing a snowplow. I have the P-zero M&s on 18's and decided I have to get some snows for my stock 17's . I plan to buy a hankook w300's asap.

Again the P-Zero Nero M+S totally suck on snow and ice ...

Jim

I have 205-55/16 Pzero Neros on my 2.5i and I drove all over the place last winter...snow, sleet, ice...etc with no problems. Maybe the smaller tire sized helps getting through the winter precipitation.

In the snow they are awfull. +1

I went up to Mt Hood snowboarding yesterday and almost wrecked on the way home. We had 14" new and was coming home downhill out of the ski area it felt like I had no brakes. I bounced off the snowbanks after doing a 360 after missing a snowplow. I have the P-zero M&s on 18's and decided I have to get some snows for my stock 17's . I plan to buy a hankook w300's asap.

Again the P-Zero Nero M+S totally suck on snow and ice ...

Jim

Why buy Ice tires if your going to be driving in fresh snow? Unless you drive mostly on icy roads you won't get near the traction in snow.

Why buy Ice tires if your going to be driving in fresh snow? Unless you drive mostly on icy roads you won't get near the traction in snow.

There was a lot of people driving up from PDX for the new snow packing the road into ice . In Portland we usaully get a yearly ice storm in town and not much snow. So the best option is for ice in my area. I used to have studded tires . I had them on my Outback which I traded in for my LGT and found them unstoppable in the ice and snow. They are still legal and popular here but I hated the noise they make. I guess the studless is the next best option.

Jim

hmm not good for me. I just bought the M+S too based upon the reviews. I am in NJ and will certainly get some good snow and ice. Hope I fair better then you all ........ :(

ditto just did same for wifes car.

I still have re-92's

Don't do an Eeyore just yet. This may be the most recent thread on these tires, but it is not the only one. From my research, there have been a lot of folks who are very happy with the snow performance of the Pirellis. Weigh all the opinions before getting in a funk (or overly exuberant) over these - or any - tires. FWIW.

Don't do an Eeyore just yet. This may be the most recent thread on these tires, but it is not the only one. From my research, there have been a lot of folks who are very happy with the snow performance of the Pirellis. Weigh all the opinions before getting in a funk (or overly exuberant) over these - or any - tires. FWIW.

+1

There are guys on this site as well as NASIOC who ran Pzero Neros in the snow last year, myself included. The tires are fine in snow. They are not going to going to perform like snow tires, but they are fine tires if you're driving in a few inches of snow or semi-plowed streets. I would recommend snow tires for any one going skiing every weekend.

In P06781's case, I'm sure that the added width and size of the 18in tires isn't helping the snow performance.

Honestly, the tires need to be completely broken-in before they will perform properly. Give them a 750 to 1000 miles to allow them to wear-in and remove the plasticizers from the manufacturing process. They should perform just as good or better than the RE92s. I personally don't own these but was planning on picking up a set. Also, make sure you are running the proper PSI... Over-inflated tires can yield poor braking and accelerating characteristics in snow.

Good luck.

Kevin

I bought mine used (300miles) on new rims from a nasioc/ebay local listing. They have been driven all summer. After almost wrecking I stopped at a snowpark on the way home to do some testing. They had Ok forward accelation but were terrible stopping in a parking lot plowed the night before with 6" new snow on top. I think having 18" did make it worse. I drove on my stock tires to canada on a BC ski trip and thought they were pretty good and never expected P-zero's to be this poor in braking.

Jim

IMG_3044.JPG.fa9640d65bab3bbdbe82025eedbbb18b.JPG

Will giving them 1000 miles on snow be any differen't than 1000 miles on dry pavement... thinking about getting pzero neros but a bit worried after these reviews. Looking for a tire that will be better than the re92's in the summer but we have some nasty winters here in south dakota. Seeing as the snow's already fallen here i dont want to get a $500 set of tires and have them perform worse than my re92's.

Will giving them 1000 miles on snow be any differen't than 1000 miles on dry pavement... thinking about getting pzero neros but a bit worried after these reviews. Looking for a tire that will be better than the re92's in the summer but we have some nasty winters here in south dakota. Seeing as the snow's already fallen here i dont want to get a $500 set of tires and have them perform worse than my re92's.

I'm assuming that you are looking at the stock 2.5i 205-55/16 tire size. If so, then you should have no problems with the Pzero Neros M+S. You can also look into the Michelin Pilot Sport and the Dunlop SP5000s. I have the Pzero Neros on my Legacy and the SP5000s on my WRX during the winter months. I'm very happy with the winter performance of both tires.

A quick search on NASIOC should give you all the info you need on any other 205-55/16 all-season or snow tire options.

It seems obvious to me that anyone who wants decent snow and ice performance from an all season tire should head for the Nokian WR's. I used the previous version of this tire through many winters in Vermont and Nokian really knows what they are doing. Instead of of crapping out in extreme conditions, they just constantly surprise you with how good they are. You just don't hear complaints about this tire's performance, only the price.

I'm considering the p-neros for spring/summer tires for my 18" rims. I want something more along the lines of summer tires but not totally b/c of the rain we get up here in ny. As far as I know the summer tires dont do so well in the rain. someone correct me if I'm wrong please. For winter I'm gonna run the cooper zeons on my stock 17's. So far they've been great in the rain. We'll see how they do in the snow.
"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

I'm considering the p-neros for spring/summer tires for my 18" rims. I want something more along the lines of summer tires but not totally b/c of the rain we get up here in ny. As far as I know the summer tires dont do so well in the rain. someone correct me if I'm wrong please.

Which tires are you refering to? Pzero Nero M+S or the Pzero Nero summer version?

Archived