LegacyGT.com

Rear axle

My 07 lgt blew the rear diff, got a new diff put it in and trying to put the axles back in and the passenger side went in prefect but I can only get the spines to line up on the drive side and it won’t go all the way it. I’ve cleaned it all out made sure the clip was in both sides. I’ve hammered on it pretty damn hard and it just won’t pop it. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you get a new OEM rear diff ?

A few years back the transmission shop had to get a second new OEM rear diff, because the factory screwed up, they also couldn't get right axle in.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

SO its came out of another car.

Just make sure the split ring on the end of your right axle is in the right location.

Worst case, I'm guessing here, can you put the left axle in the right side ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I swapped the clip with the old diff(which held that cv axle in) and still the same problem. There’s a chance it could be the cv axle itself. But I’ve given up I’m just going to send it to a shop because everything in the hub is rusted together and damn near impossible to get out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the clip has to come out? Then put on axle then install into diff? I thought you leave the clip in and it pops in. That’s how it worked on the passenger side.

If you bought the diff used, which it sounds like you did, there is a chance the clip stayed in the differential on the passenger side when the previous owner disassembled it. Then when you're trying to install your old axle with the clip installed on it, you're essentially trying to put two clips in the same place.

Not saying this is the problem, but I've run into it before and its prevented installation until I removed the old clip from inside the differential.

Unless the differential had an axle in it when you received it, then I have no idea why your axle wouldn't fit.