LegacyGT.com

07 spec b first mods minus motor work

Hey everyone. As the title says just bought an 07 spec b. Need some pointers on first mods that should be done minus the motor work. I already have a built motor from my 05 gt 5eat that couldnt handle the power even on a ipt built tranny,hex mods bullet proof center diff and valve body and 3600 stall tc. I have coilovers that are going on the spec b also.

For starters, what all are you swapping over from the LGT?

Are you looking for aesthetics mods or more power mods or what? You basically have the exact same car except for the transmission, suspension bits, and interior.

Very vague post won't get a lot of responses.

No im just looking into tranny mods specifically if needed for my power level. The motor and my coilovers and a few other things are goin to the spec b. I do intend to fully send it when tempted so just wanna make sure i can reduce the risk of breaking this tranny. Ive spent to much money on the auto to make it fast when i should have just got a manual

The spec B 6mt is already good to go.

At that power level if you are launching properly you should break an axle before having tranny issues.

Proper fluid and some beefed up axles should be enough in that area.

Short throw shifter, upgraded shifter bushings, stiffer trans mount... Probably where I'd start.

Not sure if necessary but moving a motor originally fixed to an automatic to a manual you may want to add timing belt guides.

I'd bet there are a half dozen small differences along these lines.

Not to mention the small differences between GT and spec B like the tgv connectors.

The spec B 6mt is already good to go.

I thought so from what i have read.

At that power level if you are launching properly you should break an axle before having tranny issues.

Proper fluid and some beefed up axles should be enough in that area.

Short throw shifter, upgraded shifter bushings, stiffer trans mount... Probably where I'd start.

I read that i could modify the stock shifter to a sts. Is it the same as buying one?

i only ever drove auto cars so if you can give me a link to read or some advice on launching i would really appreciate it. I assume just use the ap to do launch control.

Edited by stikiller

Not sure if necessary but moving a motor originally fixed to an automatic to a manual you may want to add timing belt guides.

The motor in the gt already has timing belt guides and the guide above the crank sprocket.

I'd bet there are a half dozen small differences along these lines.

Not to mention the small differences between GT and spec B like the tgv connectors.

I am using top feed tgv delets so the connection for that is not an issue i dont think.

I am using top feed tgv delets so the connection for that is not an issue i dont think.

It is if you are using the Cobb FF kit. (or other FF that utilizes the old tgv input)

It uses the old TGV input and requires different connector for 07 spec B. 05 LGT has 3 pin connector 07 spec B has 5 pin connector.

As for launching, I don't do it. My car doesn't see track or drag strip time and I'd surely break all the things launching a 5mt at 450wtq.

It is going to be trial and error finding the butter zone for your car/clutch/tires combo and will take tons of practice especially since you are new to manual transmission.

The only way to get a STS is to buy and install one. There is no adjustment on the stock shift lever/knob that I'm aware of.

It is if you are using the Cobb FF kit. (or other FF that utilizes the old tgv input)

It uses the old TGV input and requires different connector for 07 spec B. 05 LGT has 3 pin connector 07 spec B has 5 pin connector.

As for launching, I don't do it. My car doesn't see track or drag strip time and I'd surely break all the things launching a 5mt at 450wtq.

It is going to be trial and error finding the butter zone for your car/clutch/tires combo and will take tons of practice especially since you are new to manual transmission.

The only way to get a STS is to buy and install one. There is no adjustment on the stock shift lever/knob that I'm aware of.

As for the cobb ff kit i do not have one since the 05 gt was not supported. But i would like to now. Its a brand new wire harness on the spec b so ill swap tgv and harness to the motor swap.

As for the shifter. In the compilation of free mods there is a write up on cutting down the stock shfter a max of 32mm i think to make it a sts.

Also thank you for you advice bro

Man for the price of a STS (around $100 from Kartboy) I wouldn't be cutting and re-threading the stock shift lever.

Not to mention the easy installation (20 min)

With the launching/launch control read up on Cobb's website and make sure you understand it completely if you are going to set it up yourself. Otherwise I'd have the tuner do it.

I've contemplated doing basically what you are. Buying a Spec B shell (preferably 08-09) and swapping over my performance parts. Luckily my 5mt is holding up to the increased power levels.... so far.

I am thinking, just drop everything in and get some stage 2 axels from the drive shaft shop or Raxels axels, great fluid, clutch/fly, bushings, get a real STS (to me modifying is cutting corners), New pro tune and have fun. I hope al goes well. I am shooting for 320 WHP in my 06 5mt. I am the under dog where I am located. they see a stock looking sedan, and when they see No Rulz Racing they know whats up. lol It will just be a weekend and fun daily, while attending meets and shows. Got kids and bills so no crazy power.

Thx for all the input guys!!! Just got off the phone with cobb. I have the v3 for my 05 auto and there are gonna change the software for my spec b for 150 bucks! I was fearful i was gonna have to fork out and buy another one