LegacyGT.com

Banjo Bolt filter

So, I was told I need to address the banjo bolt and filter on the oil line of the turbo. What should I do? What parts are needed? I see where the line is by the turbo, but should I buy a new line? A new bolt? A new filter? Or just open it up and clean it out?... I'm sure this question has been talked about a lot, but I'd like to know of any advice/parts/or links you may have before I go diving into it.

Thanks in advance.

There are two crush washers on that banjo bolt.

Some use dental floss to help keep the end washer in place. I think some grease should hold it in place.

Remove the filter, put the banjo back in.

You need a stubby 17mm ratcheting box end wrench to make removal easy.

Google, how to remove .....

https://www.google.com/search?q=How+to+remove+banjo+filter+2005+subaru+GT&oq=How+to+remove+banjo+filter+2005+subaru+GT&aqs=chrome..69i57j33.21068j1j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Some use dental floss to help keep the end washer in place. I think some grease should hold it in place.

https://www.google.com/search?q=How+to+remove+banjo+filter+2005+subaru+GT&oq=How+to+remove+banjo+filter+2005+subaru+GT&aqs=chrome..69i57j33.21068j1j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

That. All that. Spot on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So really I'm just deleting the filter?.... On the one closest to the turbo, or do I address both filters? I was told there are two, but the other one in question is buried in there and not worth doing. Is this true?

Yea the turbo filter is the real issue. Just toss it. It's redundant as it has already been through the oil filter. Also dirty oil isn't great but no oil will destroy your turbo and take out the engine.

The other banjo should be removed but it's much harder. You need to either shave the bolt down (look at covertrussian build thread) or do it when you change the timing belt. That one seems less likely to clog and doesn't feed the turbo so not good but not as quickly catastrophic.

A ton of people have pulled both and run tens of thousands of miles. Conventional oil and not changing early enough is what clogs them so both of mine were clean but why risk it.

The banjo bolt you want is on the back of the head, not the one on top of the turbo. That was removed in March 2011.

I had the front filter removed in May 2012 by the machine shop that assembled the engine. That was 130,000 miles ago.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

The banjo bolt you want is on the back of the head, not the one on top of the turbo. That was removed in March 2011.

I had the front filter removed in May 2012 by the machine shop that assembled the engine. That was 130,000 miles ago.

I'm pretty sure none of the banjo filters were removed on my 2005 LGT. I also did the timing belt last summer. Don't really want to dive into there again, but my car has 230,000 miles on it. If I wait to do the timing belt job again, that's what, another 100,000 miles? Yes, I use Rotella T6 5w40 and Subaru oil filters every 5,000. The car's never been starved of oil, and no oil leaks to speak of.

If it were me, I'd want them both out. If you're the first owner then it's probably going to be fine. Pull the turbo one asap, it's even easier on your set up than my 08.

Do the driver head when you're bored or it's warmer. Buy a replacement bolt without the hump and maybe you can break the old one free and then shave it down with a dremel or something until you can wiggle it out. At the end of the day, even pulling the timing belt is still worth it compared to the cost of what can go wrong. Engines are expensive

Ok, I got it... Delete all the banjo filters. I'm starting with the one by the turbo. I'm getting 2 new washers from the dealership. Should be a quick job.

The filter by the driver's head, I'll do in spring/summer. Thinking of going with the method where you grid down the bolt in order to take it out. I'm not too keen on taking everything off, like it's another timing belt job. For me, that took 2 weeks. Anyone ever done the filter job where you grind down the bolt? Any advice or warnings?

HAMMERDOWN did a post on it years ago. It might be linked in JmP's sticky up top.

Try this,

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2-5gt-turbo-oil-supply-banjo-bolt-filter-removal-62371.html

Edited by Max Capacity

Well I dove into the union bolt by the turbo. No screen. I replaced the bolt with a fresh one, including crush washers for $14.00 from the dealer.

There's also a couple other banjo bolt locations on the head. There's one under the intake by the passenger's side airbox, and another one by the oil dipstick on the driver's side. Is this what everyone was referring to?

UPDATE: this is just the end of the lines so to speak. The banjo bolts and filters are on the other end...

IMG_4556.png.cc775a84a2088ad2982d80c4d73e9ec1.png

IMG_4557.png.640e3be85f6383c0052d54451c035dd7.png

Edited by Jolbaru_LGT

I see them now. The oil line 15192*A is where the union bolt w/filter in question attaches to. That attaches to the oil line going to the turbo. 15192*B is the other one buried behind the cam cover. That one is the harder one to get at. Now it makes sense. Correct me if I'm wrong. But basically I did nothing by replacing that restrictive union bolt by the turbo. LOL!!!

1433210236_ScreenShot2020-01-03at2_36_04PM.thumb.png.e13b888332aae87ebf7346c3a85f74d0.png

421603390_ScreenShot2020-01-03at2_37_00PM.png.9374210728d1a426a62619e5a799616f.png

Edited by Jolbaru_LGT

Haha yea...

That's OK. Yea the one you want is on the back of the head I believe (mine on the 08 is right under the turbo inlet on top) and that one has a pipe going to the turbo and to the avcs/ocv. That's the one in the front you have a picture of.

The other side you found. On the head running to the avcs. If you look at an oil flow diagram it makes sense.

Pump >filter >crank >cams/turbo >back to the pan I believe.

Well, I got it. Took an hour or so.. But I didn't have a stubby ratcheting 17mm. Highly recommended. Looks good unfortunately, or fortunately. Depends on how you look at it. I'm guessing 15% clogged. I also left the filter on the new one. My Subaru parts dealer scolded me for even thinking of deleting it. "Stay off that damn LegacyGT board! It's there for a reason!" OK... LOL.

I'm now thinking the one by the cam cover is good as well. I'm going to leave it until my next timing belt job. Wishful thinking, I know...

IMG_4574.thumb.jpg.5cdefcb84d49041139105842235220b1.jpg

Edited by Jolbaru_LGT

I wouldn't call that one good. This is what mine looked like at 155k and a blown engine.

47150bc8fe9023eda6e6732bc11f67ec.jpg

Ignore the big tear. Idk how everyone gets it out in one piece. I also bet that parts guy wants you to leave your chatted up pipe. It's there for a reason. Yea well it also destroys engines.

The general thinking is dirty oil is better than none. I have to remove my turbo and inlet to get to mine so I didn't want to go with checking it each year. The machine shop I used deleted the one under the timing belt cover for me since I don't have cam tools. They regularly build high power subarus and also rebuild heads regularly for the local dealerships (there's like 5 around here) and they thought it was a good idea. Along with high temp exhaust valves and getting a tune. All things I bet that parts guy is against.

OK off my soapbox about dealerships. Yea get a ratcheting wrench set. I'd advise one where the open end ratchets as you'll get more use out of it. And I'd probably check it yearly. Remember when the turbo gets oil starved it sends metal into the engine. That means you'll need a new short block and turbo, not just a turbo.

Well, I got it. Took an hour or so.. But I didn't have a stubby ratcheting 17mm. Highly recommended. Looks good unfortunately, or fortunately. Depends on how you look at it. I'm guessing 15% clogged. I also left the filter on the new one. My Subaru parts dealer scolded me for even thinking of deleting it. "Stay off that damn LegacyGT board! It's there for a reason!" OK... LOL.

I'm now thinking the one by the cam cover is good as well. I'm going to leave it until my next timing belt job. Wishful thinking, I know...

Just remind him that Subaru removed it from the Legacy after 2005-06, for good reason.

Just remind him that Subaru removed it from the Legacy after 2005-06, for good reason.

Not so sure about that. I believed they were just moved up top on the OCV's ?

I have a link saved on my home PC that's from NASIOC that shows where they are. Sorry I don't have it saved on the lap top in VT.

Edited by Max Capacity

Sorry, should have been clearer. They removed the two that were killing turbos when clogged if I remember right.

Nah the big thing is when they went to the Vf-46 they moved the location. The thought is the change in how it drains prevents as many clogging issues. I think that coupled with being told synthetic wasn't needed were the two big issues. My 08 had a banjo bolt filter before the turbo, it's just in a slightly different spot. Can still cause oil starvation though.

The other turbo killer on the 05-06 is the catted up pipe.

Well, I'm glad I have that peace of mind. Although, I got a bunch of white oil smoke from the residual oil that leaked onto the block. That was scary for a min. Should be good tho. I'm gonna keep the union bolt filter on, and change it when I do the timing belt. Guess I'll chalk it up to routine maintenance. Not sure if I can wait to do the cam cover bolt in 100,000 miles, but I'll think about it...

I tend to take advice from LegacyGT and my parts guy and come up with a happy medium. I mean, he suggested I go to all AMSOIL and I'm not going there. Rotella T6 5W30 has been pretty good for my car so far. 230,000 miles and counting...

The Invidia uppipe sounds interesting... Might consider that for my warm weather project...

Some people have had issues with the invidia one due to no flex section. That said plenty of people run it without issue. A catless up pipe is a big deal on these. You'd potentially want a retune when you do it though. The flow difference is quite a bit.

There's always lots of opinions, especially on the internet. I've seen great people at dealers and horrible ones and everything in between. Dealer I went to in Tampa FL for my friends clutch keeps snout kits on hand and motul fluids. Made life easy by having the snout kit.

I just got a used grimmspeed up pipe. I'll be excited to swap out all my rusting exhaust.

Snout kit? Catless up pipe? Geez. This sounds like a rabbit hole. I’ll look into Grimmspeed. I like their products. As far as a retune, I know my bro had a retune done after the cat left the downpipe. Not sure where he had that done. I think a buddy of his. Lots to consider.