LegacyGT.com

New tires cause a conundrum

When I first got my 17 Legacy back in 2016, I was pleasantly surprised to see that my speedo, gps & cruise control all showed the exact same speed (as opposed to my 14 Legacy where it was always slightly off). Tires were the oem Goodyear LS2s. About a month ago I replaced the Goodyears with Conti TrueContact Tours, same size. The car is no longer a DD & can go days w/o being driven. This past w/e we went to Philly & I noticed that the speedo no longer coincides with the gps & cruise control. It now appears to be about 1 mph faster. Could the Conti's circumfrence be slightly different from the Goodyears?

I had to smile at your problem after reading your post title (conundrum =an intricate and difficult problem).

Intricacy - what whitetiger said.

Difficult - not really! A tolerance of 2% to 8% is considered industry acceptable.

In my experience, most speedos read a little fast -- maybe to keep you from getting as many speeding tickets. Mine reads about 1-2 mph faster at 60 mph than actual. My tires are also at about 5/32. So expect some variance.

If you think 1 mph is too much read this (caution, uses km/h!): https://www.ctvnews.ca/autos/speed-check-how-fast-are-you-really-driving-1.3445497

• 2 weeks later...
Turning the conversation 90 degrees -

What are your impressions of the Conti TrueContact Tours ?

Particularly in the areas of ride quality and road noise .

Thanks

George

I've been pleased with them. Ride quality has been good & road noise isn't a problem so far.

According to tirerack.com, the Continentals start out at 11/32 compared to the LS2s at 10/32, but I doubt that is enough to account for the discrepancy. The total diameter is the same, but the LS2s get 777 revs per mile compared to 773 on the continentals. Again, not enough to explain the difference. If anything, I'd expect the new tire to result in a slower speed than the worn one, assuming I am thinking about it correctly.

According to tirerack.com, the Continentals start out at 11/32 compared to the LS2s at 10/32, but I doubt that is enough to account for the discrepancy. The total diameter is the same, but the LS2s get 777 revs per mile compared to 773 on the continentals. Again, not enough to explain the difference. If anything, I'd expect the new tire to result in a slower speed than the worn one, assuming I am thinking about it correctly.

773 vs 777 is 1/2 of 1%. Or 0.30 mph at 60 mph. With the precision of today's speedometers, and even GPS, that is virtually zero difference.

• 2 weeks later...
Turning the conversation 90 degrees -

What are your impressions of the Conti TrueContact Tours ?

Particularly in the areas of ride quality and road noise .

Thanks

George

Put them on my 2015 3.6. Incredible upgrade quieter great in the snow too.

all tires vary slightly in circumference, and change as they wear. a 1 mph difference is not worth being concerned over. the fact that it was as precise as it was with your OE tires was probably luck of the draw.

https://tiresize.com/wheel-offset-calculator/

I recently purchase a wheel and tire package from Tire Rack. I used the above calculator to check the size of the new rims and tires when compared to oem. My original Oems are 235/50R18 40mm offset. I ordered 235/55r17 45mm offset package. The speed as calculated above came back as

Speedometer Error - (Set Original Setup to OEM Size)

Speed | Actual

20 mph | 19.9 MPH

30 mph | 29.9 MPH

40 mph | 39.9 MPH

50 mph | 49.8 MPH

60 mph | 59.8 MPH

70 mph | 69.7 MPH

80 mph | 79.7 MPH

90 mph | 89.7 MPH

Like someone else here said, if you stay with OEM make and model's the speedo will probably not change. I for one plan on getting rid of the OEM's as I have terrible tread life compared to the advertised mileage.