LegacyGT.com

Will Outback Homelink Visor fit Legacy?

Greg_STL

The outback offers homelink built into the visor. I've had the homelink on other vehicles and prefer it to hanging a clumsy remote off of the visor. The new interior looks great, I don't really want to junk it up. Does anyone know if the outback visor is the same size and material. If (*IF*) they are the same, it would be a nice upgrade. Anyone?

If the VDC and LLBean are the only ones with that option, they'll have a Taupe interior. Black isn't available on those cars Are the visors interior color, or the grey headliner color? just thinking out loud. It would suck if the stuff is all interchangeable, but the color doesn't match. just a thought...

SC GT - I already have the auto-dim compass mirror so I don't want to loose the compass. I just want to pick up the homelink. brady_bunch - I don't see it on the official Subaru web site but it is listed on [url]http://www.cars101.com/outback.html[/url] and the site is generally reliable. I'll look around for a photo because I *think* I've seen one.

[quote name='brady_bunch']No mention of Homelink (or similar functionality) on the Subaru site for the LL Bean or VDC that I could find. Anyone got a link?[/quote] Instructions for programing are in owner's manual. I'll be trying to get one in few weeks when I'll get back from vacation (hoping to pick along with armrest).

Subaru is supposed to add a new Auto Dimming/Compass mirror with built in Homelink later this year. Might just want to wait a bit. The armrest extensions are now availible. We just installed one for a customer on Thursday. Unfortunatly. it doesn't offer any more storage.

Sorry for the long time to a reply. I was sick, the kids were sick, life goes on. I saw the mirror on the homelink site but I do not really like it for two reasons. One, my wife's G35 coupe has it on the mirror like that I always feel like I messing with the mirror when I reach up and hit the buttons. I wind up adjusting it every time I'm in the car right after I hit the button to close the garage door. Two, I don't like the inherent blind spot of the compass on mirror like that one. My preference would still be homelink on the visor and compass on the mirror. I guess I'll wait until the replacement part vendors start stocking 2005 parts. Until then, remote in the flip up cubby.

FWIW, in my audi, which has the homelink incorporated into the visor, there is also a transmitting device in the front bumper. You program the homelink by clicking your remote within a few inches of the sensor and then assigning a button to that action (either opening or closing the garage door). I'm not sure how the subaru system works, but I'd be willing to bet that swapping out the visor and connecting the power will not get you a working system - you still need a transmitter somewhere....
getting out of the legacy game :cool:

[quote name='Opie']Subaru is supposed to add a new Auto Dimming/Compass mirror with built in Homelink later this year. Might just want to wait a bit. The armrest extensions are now availible. We just installed one for a customer on Thursday. Unfortunatly. it doesn't offer any more storage.[/quote] It doesn't offer any more storage? How is this possible? I still need one because it's not so comfy right now without it. How much is it?

[quote name='sandwood']FWIW, in my audi, which has the homelink incorporated into the visor, there is also a transmitting device in the front bumper. You program the homelink by clicking your remote within a few inches of the sensor and then assigning a button to that action (either opening or closing the garage door). I'm not sure how the subaru system works, but I'd be willing to bet that swapping out the visor and connecting the power will not get you a working system - you still need a transmitter somewhere....[/quote] My manual says to hold the remote near the visor.. There's really no need for the sensor to be on the bumper, the transmitters work fine from inside the car.. unless you need to open your garage from a mile away. Should be a simple swap I think, considering the visor already gets power for the vanity mirror.

[quote name='Deer Killer'][quote name='sandwood']FWIW, in my audi, which has the homelink incorporated into the visor, there is also a transmitting device in the front bumper. You program the homelink by clicking your remote within a few inches of the sensor and then assigning a button to that action (either opening or closing the garage door). I'm not sure how the subaru system works, but I'd be willing to bet that swapping out the visor and connecting the power will not get you a working system - you still need a transmitter somewhere....[/quote] My manual says to hold the remote near the visor.. There's really no need for the sensor to be on the bumper, the transmitters work fine from inside the car.. unless you need to open your garage from a mile away. Should be a simple swap I think, considering the visor already gets power for the vanity mirror.[/quote] I'm planning on selling my car and buying a legacy and I'd definitely like it to have this feature - even if I have to upgrade - so it's nice to know the upgrade should be relatively painless.
getting out of the legacy game :cool:

• 4 weeks later...
I picked up my Legacy GTL Sedan Fri, 9/3. I have an outstanding question with the dealer about getting a Homelink visor installed. What my salesman said: "Apparently the issue of putting a homelink system into a Legacy just came up yesterday and our service manager is trying to find out if it is possible to install. There is not a part for the Legacy specifically, but they said it seems like something they should be able to easily install. I'll know more about that on Tuesday after the long weekend."

Good heads up as usual Opie on waiting for a new Suby rear-view mirror with homelink. I am ordering a Leg GT this weekend or early next week and was going to get the autodimmng mirror w/compass, but I will wait for new mirror later this year. Also good to know the armrest is now available when I order it. Thanks for helpfull info.

Archived