LegacyGT.com

Oil Recommendation(s) & CEL

Hi all,

I am due for an oil change and I have 186,xxx on the chasis, but engine has about roughly 75k miles. I was wondering what is good brand and weight of oil that I should get?

I also got the infamous P0021 today on the drive home. I got gas (it sometimes does not realize I put gas in it until I drive it for 5-10 mins), came to a stop light and the car started jerking to a stop (did not stall). I thought nothing of it, until it did it again at the next light. I pulled into a parking lot, shut off the car for a few minutes, started it and went on my way home. It stopped jerking, and then roughly 2 minutes later the CEL came on. The CEL is solid, and the CRUISE light is flashing. I took out the banjo filter on driver and passenger side, but not the one behind the timing cover as I am not that skilled. But I think I will have to suck it up and follow the guide, not matter how long it takes.

The car did not seem to be driving weird at all, so I am going to guess, and after doing a bit of research, the driver side OCV could be faulty? Should I start by just cleaning it and replacing the oil?

Car is mostly stock except for a tune, intake, EBC, and exhaust. It is a 5EAT. I got the engine replaced last year when the head gasket gave out.

Edited by Carmania24

Rotella T6 and Motul Xcess are the top two best popular choices. As you should know Mobil 1 5w-30 is the worst popular choice. I’m a supporter of any 40 weight over the 30 weight recommended. I’ve used T6 for years but Castrol Edge is what I used in the past when I still had my cats on. The Zinc that was in the old T6 formula isn’t ideal for your cats. Not sure about the new one to be honest. Picking oil shouldn’t be complicated. Most of them out there are okay. I’ve even heard the amazon basics oil is pretty damn good. Just make sure you change it often.

You’re on the right track by thinking OCV. I would replace them and the oil at the same time. Did the oil light come on as well?

Rotella T6 and Motul Xcess are the top two best popular choices. As you should know Mobil 1 5w-30 is the worst popular choice. I’m a supporter of any 40 weight over the 30 weight recommended. I’ve used T6 for years but Castrol Edge is what I used in the past when I still had my cats on. The Zinc that was in the old T6 formula isn’t ideal for your cats. Not sure about the new one to be honest. Picking oil shouldn’t be complicated. Most of them out there are okay. I’ve even heard the amazon basics oil is pretty damn good. Just make sure you change it often.

You’re on the right track by thinking OCV. I would replace them and the oil at the same time. Did the oil light come on as well?

Thanks a bunch for the info. I will look into it.

The oil light did not come on, I checked the oil level and it is full, due for oil change. After the CEL came on the car did drive fine, so it could very well just be a failing/clogged OCV.

P0021 is the drivers side OCV.

I assume the car is a 2005-2006 ?

Do you drive the car for long distances or are most of your drives short, only a couple miles and shut it off ?

My wagon still had both OCV's it came with. These cars like to be driven for long distances so everything gets hot and keeps clean. I use Amsoil 5w-40 European Classic and their oil filters doing 7000 mile OCI, after sending a sample off to Blackstone Labs years ago.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Do you drive the car for long distances or are most of your drives short, only a couple miles and shut it off ?

My wagon still had both OCV's it came with. These cars like to be driven for long distances so everything gets hot and keeps clean. I use Amsoil 5w-40 European Classic and their oil filters doing 7000 mile OCI, after sending a sample off to Blackstone Labs years ago.

Thank you for the response, yes it is a 2005. It depends on the day, sometimes I drive 30+ miles, sometimes I drive 10-15 miles. I am going to my buddies shop tomorrow to do oil change, remove the turbo banjo filter, and clean the OCV. I then will reset the code and see if it comes back on.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/rotella-t6-4920/chemicals---fluids-16461/oil-16865/motor-oil---vehicle-specific-16257/5fb4d14d310a/shell-rotella-t6-synthetic-heavy-duty-motor-oil-5w-40-1-gallon/syn5401/4712275/2005/subaru/legacy?q=5w-40&pos=2

Is this the T6 you are talking about?

He beat me to it. I use Amsoil front to back. All my Subies use it and my mowers and weed eaters use it also. Che check out their PI also.

Yes, that T-6 is what a lot of members use.

NORULZleggy do you use their Sever-Gear ? I used to but not sure it was really good for the 5mt's...? I've switched to Motul Gear 300 and have had great results.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

He beat me to it. I use Amsoil front to back. All my Subies use it and my mowers and weed eaters use it also. Che check out their PI also.

Thanks for the input!

NORULZleggy do you use their Sever-Gear ? I used to but not sure it was really good for the 5mt's...? I've switched to Motul Gear 300 and have had great results.

Awesome, I will stop by tomorrow to pick them up. Is it 4.2Q for an oil change? My first time doing it myself on this car since I've had it. Looking to add an additive as well, not sure if it will be safe for the turbo? Thanks!!

Edited by Carmania24

Thanks for the input!

Awesome, I will stop by tomorrow to pick them up. Is it 4.2Q for an oil change? My first time doing it myself on this car since I've had it. Looking to add an additive as well, not sure if it will be safe for the turbo? Thanks!!

+1 for the T6

The oil already has additives to help with turbo deposits and such. I would recommend saving money towards more T6 in 4-5k miles instead of additives unless you are burning or leaking alot of oil.

5.3Q is the oil capacity but I haven't drained more than 4.5 or so

Also 57712 is the oil filter number

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

Edited by dwmccauley01

Yes, I also use there power steering fluid, coolant, Dot 4 Brake fluid, I can go on. Had great results also. I ll send you a message about it.

+1 for the T6

The oil already has additives to help with turbo deposits and such. I would recommend saving money towards more T6 in 4-5k miles instead of additives unless you are burning or leaking alot of oil.

5.3Q is the oil capacity but I haven't drained more than 4.5 or so

Also 57712 is the oil filter number

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

So when I run Amsoil & the EK filter, I changed it every 10K miles on My WRX and STi when I had it. On my 2008 2.5i I ran changes to 21k miles and the longest was 27K miles with a filter change due to the filter being good for 15K. Cars never had a problem and ran great.

I did the same on my 06 Outback. Saw the young lady I sold it to last year when it had 216K miles on it, and it looked so nice and was running great. I also tried to buy my 08 2.5i back last month when I saw it for sale, but someone beat me to it.

Long story short I have had no problem selling my cars cause they are in great condition being taken care of. oh I pulled my motor on the 08 2.5i cause it had the paper gasket like most, the motor and heads were so clean it was stupid.

Thanks for the help guys, I bought 5 quarts to play it safe. Going to do the oil change and remove the banjo filter on the turbo side. I will also clean the driver side OCV.

Random question--does anyone know if 10.2-10.4q is the right amount needed for a transmission flush and refill?

Don't you have an EJ20X swapped car? or did you replace that engine?

That is correct. It was not a complete engine swap.

Also--the CEL turned off by itself today as I was driving home. I did not reset it or touch the OCV or do an oil change (that is planned for tomorrow).