LegacyGT.com

highest milage 3.6R?

The 3.6R and 5EAT should easily hold up to 200k-300k miles with proper maintenance, but that's a lot of mileage for the age, roughly 35k per year. That's almost 3 times per year what the manufacturer warranty accounts for, so depending on price and service history, I'd be wary.

But, if the service history looks good and the price is low, it could be a good buy. Few things I'd check right away would be spark plugs and coil packs, PCV valve, trans and diff fluids (both should be fine with drain and fills), and then obviously the other new-buy fluids and checks you'd do with any car. But realistically, there is no common failure of the EZ36 and 5EAT. They're a very stout setup.

You’d probably find a bigger pool of 3.6 owners at SubaruOutback.org

All I’ve heard of for rare issues are timing chain cover oil leaks. Found a post for a noisy water pump which is behind the timing cover:

https://www.subaruoutback.org/threads/3-6r-water-pump-replacement.508209/

If I was looking for an automatic I’d totally go for the 3.6 over the 2.5

The 3.6R and 5EAT should easily hold up to 200k-300k miles with proper maintenance, but that's a lot of mileage for the age, roughly 35k per year. That's almost 3 times per year what the manufacturer warranty accounts for, so depending on price and service history, I'd be wary.

But, if the service history looks good and the price is low, it could be a good buy. Few things I'd check right away would be spark plugs and coil packs, PCV valve, trans and diff fluids (both should be fine with drain and fills), and then obviously the other new-buy fluids and checks you'd do with any car. But realistically, there is no common failure of the EZ36 and 5EAT. They're a very stout setup.

only reason i am giving it thought is at that kind of mileage, it has to be mostly highway....

Just listen pretty close for timing chain rattle as a sign the tensioners will need replacing soon. But if it is quiet, clean, well maintained, and not burning a bunch of oil it should last quite a while longer than you need it to.

Thinking about picking up at 2013 3.6R with 210K on it as a hold me over car... how long do you think that 3.6 litre will go? or the E5AT?

How much dough are they asking? I would feel nervous taking a chance on a car with that many miles... but then again if it's a stick shift that would be more trustworthy.

How much dough are they asking? I would feel nervous taking a chance on a car with that many miles... but then again if it's a stick shift that would be more trustworthy.
No stick shift h6s in the USA. Not from the factory anyway. Both the 3.6 and 5eat have a solid reputation for longevity. If it's working good now and you take care of it no reason it wont continue to work well.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

3.6R doesn't exist as a manual anywhere in the world just fyi, Subaru never paired a manual with the 3.6. The only factory manual H6 Subaru made is the 3.0R Spec B 4th gens.

$4k for that vehcile seems pretty reasonable.

Maybe try shotting lower than 4k lmao, you never know. Sometimes people will sell stuff cheaper than they first thought.

Plans are on hold, just informed that where I work is about to cease to exist so I have to apply for transfer within my company...

I hate sudden changes like that. Good luck in getting a transfer. At least around here the job economy is doing well, so it is relatively easy to get a new job if it comes to that.

• 3 weeks later...
Job is secure so amazingly the same 2010 outback 3.6R is not sold yet I am setting up a meeting

128K 2010 3.6R for $8000

Do Outback’s go for a lot more than the Legacy sedans? I paid $7200 for my 2013 Legacy 3.6R Limited this summer with 89k on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do Outback’s go for a lot more than the Legacy sedans? I paid $7200 for my 2013 Legacy 3.6R Limited this summer with 89k on it.

Yes, from what I have seen there usually a couple grand difference. You got a really good price on your 3.6R, that is a even couple grand below trade in value. Private party sale? If the car hasn't been a major accident and is good condition, you stole it.

OK drove the 2010 3.6R

it had some issues

1. clunking from front end, sounded like sway bar bushings

2. loud whine that increased with road speed

3. Trans as at 3K going 60mph...

I wouldn't even bother. Too many issues that would be costly. Any info on the car history?