LegacyGT.com

White powdery on radiator hoses?

Not sure what this is, or why, or if it's even normal, but since I fixed the coolant issue, these top radiator hoses have been turning powdery white on me. It's not the biggest deal, kind of annoying, but what can I do to make them a normal color? I've tried silicone spray, but that didn't work. Do I have to go w/silicone tubing there?

You can see it in the picture, they're the small tubes, two of them, connecting the tubing to the radiator and then back over to the turbo overflow reservoir. I think it's a hard line that goes along the radiator under the air intake.

Thanks

IMG_4144.thumb.JPG.ed8d047235a9e3954f3630ce1321a1f7.JPG

You're correct on the routing. Not sure on the powder stuff. I'll say that silicone is supposed to be not great for fluids due to it losing liquid to permeating. But that seems to be kinda a hot button for people.

Did you get new hoses there? They aren't too expensive. I've just ordered some so I'll be interested to know the answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're correct on the routing. Not sure on the powder stuff. I'll say that silicone is supposed to be not great for fluids due to it losing liquid to permeating. But that seems to be kinda a hot button for people.

Did you get new hoses there? They aren't too expensive. I've just ordered some so I'll be interested to know the answer.

Haven't even looked into them yet. But I will. That one by the turbo reservior seems to have a goofy bend to it. Actually, they both do. Not super stoked on changing them all out in some kind of kit, when all I need is the two dinky hoses.

Yea for sure. And unfortunately I don't have an answer. These are mine before being pulled off. Previous owner got a new radiator about 20k ago. I'd guess one hose was replaced another wasn't. Silicone will hold up longer but supposedly rubber is better for coolant. I'd give them a squeeze, if they are still soft they are fine.

In reality it's probably just a cosmetic thing. If that's your problem, you could get some wire loom or a nice woven sleeve and slide them over. Keep it looking pretty like the rest of the engine bay. Still would love to hear someone's thoughts as to why they do that though.b2e40267d1c6f3298b1533b637f8f482.jpg

Dab a little ATF on a paper towel and give the hoses a bit of a wiping. That will remove the white stuff without harming the rubber.

I've often thought that the white residue was related to the Subaru coolant conditioner, that 4 oz bottle of stop-leak type stuff. I haven't used a product like that in the cooling system of any of my other vehicles, and none of those have developed any chalky residue on coolant hoses. Furthermore, it develops on the thinnest-walled hoses faster than on the thicker-walled hoses, which would be consistent with something seeping through the porous rubber from the inside.

That’s gotta be an air line. All I can think is that doesn’t see much coolant flowing through, only an escape for air bubbles and pressure. Where it all meets at the turbo expansion tank is a tiny hole near that pressure release cap, and it’s the highest point of the system. It must get hot and rigid not seeing any coolant. Correct me if I’m way off.

So the water pump pushes straight to that tank and heater core. I think the large one goes to the top of the radiator so that's likely flow to the radiator. One on the back is coolant to the turbo. Most of the coolant to the radiator comes out the block. That's an expansion tank so you're likely right. I've not looked inside it but I'm guessing it's baffled somehow to prefer flow to the turbo.

It must get hot and expand and go big line to radiator and the small line is for air or expansion in extreme cases. So ya that makes sense. I'm still kinda new to all this. There's so many hoses and lines on these dang things.