LegacyGT.com

Driveline Vibration

Hello!

I have a 2008 LGT Wagon 5EAT, which has a driveline vibration. I suspected the u-joints as the issue, and before purchasing a driveshaft I took it into a shop to get their opinion. They recommended I replace the driveshaft.

I replaced the driveshaft and the vibration is not as bad as it was before, but it is still there. It will only vibrate with light throttle settings and light engine load. Usually happens when in 4th or 5th going slightly up hill, or when dropping into a higher gear with light acceleration. Feels as if you are driving over a rumble strip, just not as pronounced.

I called the shop that diagnosed my car and they are out of ideas. The motor mounts look to be solid and I can't think of what else it may be... and ideas???

I appreciate your help. Thank you in advance.

Most of us who have driveshaft/propeller shaft issues, first feel it in the your right elbow as it rest on the center console. When I felt it, I got under my wagon and grabbed the shaft on both sides of the center carrier bearing. I could feel more play in the front shaft.

I would guess your next check would be either front axle. It is recommended to keep the OEM axles and rebuild them. They are much better then the gamble of getting a good reman one from a auto parts store.

If those are in good shape, the next guess would be internal transmission issues.

Good Luck

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Does it go away if the transmission is shifted into neutral or park? Do your cv axles have green cups next to the transmission?

Picture of green cups

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/replace-rebuild-torn-cv-boot-and-axle-108975.html

Automatic transmission owners have reported vibration when shifted into drive with aftermarket cv axles, and it supposedly goes away when the car is shifted into neutral or park.

What you’re describing sounds a lot like transmission shudder. Like the torque converter is locked up at too low of rpm with a load on it. My car suffers from the this problem. Maybe try this when it happens: When in drive mode, down shift from the steering wheel by one gear as soon as you feel it. When in sport mode what I do is pop my foot off the throttle for a split second and go back to it and this unlocks the TC.

• 9 months later...

Ok, I thought I'd report back after I finally solved the problem. Yes it took some time.

The initial diagnosis of the motor mounts was incorrect, and led to some unnecessary part changing. After replacing the driveshaft and rear axle the vibration was still there. Regardless, during vibrations the driveshaft was still bouncing around in the center bearing.

I then replaced the pitch stop, as well as transmission mount and the vibration is 99% gone. I attribute that other 1% the way it just is.

Hopefully this helps someone!

DaveWaters, could this be the cause of your vibrations? My car shuddered when the TQ converter locked up with light load or when lugging.

• 1 year later...
Ok, I thought I'd report back after I finally solved the problem. Yes it took some time.

The initial diagnosis of the motor mounts was incorrect, and led to some unnecessary part changing. After replacing the driveshaft and rear axle the vibration was still there. Regardless, during vibrations the driveshaft was still bouncing around in the center bearing.

I then replaced the pitch stop, as well as transmission mount and the vibration is 99% gone. I attribute that other 1% the way it just is.

Hopefully this helps someone!

DaveWaters, could this be the cause of your vibrations? My car shuddered when the TQ converter locked up with light load or when lugging.

Sorry for the dumass question but what is a pitch stop? I've been in the biz for a long time but never heard that term before. I love learning new things!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
Pitchstop is the "dog bone" looking brace between the top of the transmission on the firewall. It's supposed to help prevent the engine/tranny from pitching back under heavy acceleration.
As soon as I saw this mount after removing the intercooler, I knew what a pitch stop was! Thanks for clarifying!e32c020932cba0464de35e67c18e0fcd.jpg

As soon as I saw this mount after removing the intercooler, I knew what a pitch stop was! Thanks for clarifying!e32c020932cba0464de35e67c18e0fcd.jpg

Does anyone know if you can replace a pitch stop wile the front end of the car is up on ramps ?

Worried about what tension may be on it.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk