LegacyGT.com

Tools needed for rear caliper bracket bolts?

I'm in a bit of a jam. This morning on my way to work I heard some clunking. Turns out one of my rear caliper bracket bolts fell out and the whole thing is flopping around (just one more reason for me to curse the PO of this car :mad:).

Anyway I'm going to take the subway to Autozone to pick up some new bolts, and whatever tools I'll need. I have no tools with me. I know I'll need a 14mm socket (shallow right?) a chinese 3/8 ratchet, but I need to know approximately what length extension I'll need. Also does it need to be a wobble extension because from what I remember it isn't a straight shot. Just want to take care of this as quickly as possible so I can drive home later lol.

For 1/2 inches socket and wrench, get 2 wobble extensions, about 6-8 inches each. This way you'll have more flexibility.

iirc first time I did it I was able to get to them with 3/8 socket and wrench with straight extender.

HF would be best price wise.

Good luck!

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 249K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 272K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Unfortunately HF is a bit far away so I'll have to make do with whatever Autozone has. I'm going to go with 3/8". I just need to get them snug and I'll address it properly when I get home. For the 3/8" straight extension. Is 8" enough or should I go with something longer?

PB Blaster or Areo-Kroil spray.

Then anti-seize on the bolt threads and bearing surface of the bolt head.

I use a long flex head 3/8 ratchet, 6" extension, shallow socket to break the bolt loose. I use a normal 3/8 ratchet to tighten them.

I have extensions that have a swivel type end the socket pops onto.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

17's are the fronts. I just replaced all the pads,rotors and right front caliper again on the wagon two weeks ago.

You'll need a floor jack and jack stands too.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Ok it worked out. A $3.99 3/8” ratchet, plain Jane 6” extension, and a shallow 14mm socket worked a treat.

I did have an issue though. The bolts Autozone ordered me were waaaay too long and actually will push the rotor off the hub. I ended up looking through their generic hardware bin. The OEM bolt is M10x 1.25mm, 20mm long. The best I could find was 25mm so I ended up stacking 5mm of washers to make up the difference. I hate to do some ghetto shit like that but it worked. I’ll be ordering the correct bolts from the dealer.

Car had brand new pads and rotors all around when I got it. I also found a front caliper bolt loose too. I think I need to go over every bolt in the car, god only knows what else this moron touched.