LegacyGT.com

iDatalink Maestro for an 05 LGT?

With my new Alpine ILX-107, there's an option for a iDatalink Maestro to be bought and connected. From what I understand it connects engine data and steering wheel controls to the head unit.

Would this apply to an 05? I'm not seeing anywhere that confirms this. My car does not have steering wheel controls, so I'm not sure. I just think it would be cool to have that engine data real time on the display.

Thanks, Joel

Nah pretty sure it won't do engine data. No idata link for our cars. Think it's for newer cars with infotainment systems pulling obd info like mpg or more advanced stuff depending on the car. It seems like an older popular mod was to do a nexus 7 tablet install into the upper cubby and run btssm on it to get the good info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nah pretty sure it won't do engine data. No idata link for our cars. Think it's for newer cars with infotainment systems pulling obd info like mpg or more advanced stuff depending on the car. It seems like an older popular mod was to do a nexus 7 tablet install into the upper cubby and run btssm on it to get the good info.

True but Btssm still connects to OBDII port, right? I wonder if Maestro does the same thing and that data is available on CAN bus in 05-09. Clock module gets the MPG also, I believe it comes from CAN bus.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 249K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 272K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

It does but it's only compatible with like 4 readers. Idk if that's because it's no longer maintained or something else. But it's pulling ssm data, not just obdII data. The ssm is more in depth. Now how that compares to anything else idk, but I don't think the maestro is meant to ADD functionality but to KEEP functionality.

Granted if those cars that are compatible are basically just pulling info from the ecu through obd then it's possible you can modify it to show all that cool snazzy stuff but that's above my knowledge.

But I guess to answer the OP question, I'm planning to buy an axxess ASWC to keep the steering wheel controls working in my 08. That gets wired to an i85 connector I got from svxdc. I think all of these wiring connectors are for keeping functionality not adding it. I believe the common way to add SWC to these generation subaru is switching the wheel and doing as I am.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Jolbaru_LGT, did you every figure out whether these would work for our 05's?

Hey, sorry for the late response. I kinda gave up on the project. 🤣 I’m sure with determination and a few hundred dollars I could get it going. But I don’t really feel like going through all that. Yet at least.. The maestro on my Alpine ilx-207 is probably another $200 option and then all the wire splicing or connector replacing. Tapping into the OBD2 and all that. I mean, then I’d probably want to get rid of the cubby and put in a 7” touchscreen. So that’s 100 for the JDM adapter, 200-300 for the VGA touch screen. Then, a $200 Alpine external monitor control. All to see some gauges my instrument panel already has! 🤣 There might be a vacuum connection somewhere for boost info, and honestly I’m totally making up the numbers of cost, but I could see it going into 500-1000 dollar range. While it would be cool to see all of that and have a split screen for movies or nav, I don’t know.. I’m going to say I’ll put that project on hold until I win the lottery so I can pay a car audio place to do it. I’ve got plenty of other things to do on my 235,000 mile LGT to keep me busy. Like all the old crusty bushings in the back of the car.

Idatalink dealer here, the maestro stuff is hit and miss and honestly the hit is never honestly a BIG hit. I use idatalink primarily for remote starts but secondarily for doing stereos in fords with sync. A few stereos support the maestro interface and to be honest none of them support the features quite as good as the factory stuff and honestly I expect them to do it at least a step above oem. I’d imagine that a maestro interface on something 10yrs older than what it fails to currently do would be lesss than desirable for what you’re wanting BUT I’ve always felt that the failure lies in the head unit and not so much the maestro itself.

In theory the maestro should have no problem interpreting serial data and translating, but how much at once is the question. The second thing is what unit you are using to interface with the maestro, it needs to be able to receive and interpret/display data VERY rapidly for it to be even remotely useful and in my experience the big units that do communicate tend to do so with slow and poor resolution and and very gimmicky in the way they feel.

Afterthought to my post: I’m very tired and I’ve been awake for almost two days, also given my current sleep deprivation and alcohol consumption I need to admit that I mostly skimmed the thread so I understand my post may be nonsensical and extremely out of place lol but hopefully would be useful